cottage on the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fears are part of many peoples lives...my friend with a beautiful 42 sailboat has a girlfriend with so many fears...I'm scared for her. :eek:

Needless to say when he retires...he needs to make the decision...girlfriend or sailboat and his lifelong dreams.

Fears, comfort....whatever...appliances, training, ability...holy cow...so may wide open possibilities...

Good luck tying together those all in one thread....

Fears are part of many peoples lives...my friend with a beautiful 42 sailboat has a girlfriend with so many fears...I'm scared for her. :eek:

Needless to say when he retires...he needs to make the decision...girlfriend or sailboat and his lifelong dreams.

Fears, comfort....whatever...appliances, training, ability...holy cow...so may wide open possibilities...

Good luck tying together those all in one thread....

We have an older couple who moved with us from NC. They take care of everything for us. Here we are on the water, multiple boats, but they just don't do boats. It's a fear from long ago. Now one might say they should try to conquer it, but I don't think that's necessary. They have a wonderful life without ever getting on a boat. I know...seems impossible. lol. It's when those fears stand in our way we need to try to face them. I really hope the gf you speak of is getting counseling. Sounds like a very hard way to live.

You say your older friends don't need to change but you say this girlfriend should get counseling....??????????????

You say your older friends don't need to change but you say this girlfriend should get counseling....??????????????

I got the impression that her multiple fears were negatively impacting herself and her enjoyment of life in many ways.

As to our older friends, they are very happy with their lives and don't have other fears impacting them, nor is the fear of boating impacting their relationship.

You said you were scared for the gf. We're not scared for the older couple.

Not exactly what I meant...but you make the point well enough....

Some threads I miss part of and some I miss altogether because of the misleading thread name. "cottage on the water"? I thought the thread was going to be about a cottage on the water and it didn't interest me so here I am very late to the discussion.

A very excellent thread indeed as it shows how much we are a group are yachtsmen and not so much boaters. I'm more of a camper and have/need few things to classify as on the cottage side like a small (very) diesel furnace, a fairly small holding tank, an excess of fresh water, hot water heater and automatic water pressure in our domestic plumbing. Our head is definitely a head, our small (but adequate) bunks or berths are definitely not a bedroom, our galley is part of the salon and our wheelhouse is part of the galley. We have no gen-set, functioning shower, and our dining room and table don't even remotely resembling what we have at home. All the comforts of home? ........ not at all. Interestingly we don't even wish it either. There are some on this forum further away from the comforts of home than we I'm sure but probably not much further.

All the comforts of home would ruin boating for me. What if you could push a button to produce all the comforts like food, bathroom, heat .. everything. All you had to do is sit there. What kind of boating experience would that be? Give me the experience .. I'll pass on most of the comforts. But I'll enjoy the few comforts I indulge. And I will not be holding the tiller out in the rain to enhance my experience. We all arrive at some place on the cottage scale and that place should have the balance that objectively works for you. Even if on the very high side of the comforts of home it's different than actually at home. And that experience may be very meaningful for you. So you could very possibly have just as meaningful an experience as me on the other end of the scale. Haha though I'll still be put off by TVs, microwaves and other non boating things being brought aboard a boat. I feel it just dosn't fit.

All the comforts of home would ruin boating for me. What if you could push a button to produce all the comforts like food, bathroom, heat .. everything. All you had to do is sit there. What kind of boating experience would that be? Give me the experience .. I'll pass on most of the comforts. But I'll enjoy the few comforts I indulge. And I will not be holding the tiller out in the rain to enhance my experience. We all arrive at some place on the cottage scale and that place should have the balance that objectively works for you. .... And that experience may be very meaningful for you. So you could very possibly have just as meaningful an experience as me on the other end of the scale. Haha though I'll still be put off by TVs, microwaves and other non boating things being brought aboard a boat. I feel it just dosn't fit.

Well put, Eric.

What about liveaboards...with no dirt home?

In our family the fear would be the other way. Me. Not on that but in Catalina they talked me into a zip line. I don't go near the rails on tall balconies. Flying through the air on a line? Are you serious. Ok, I did it. What an experience in so many ways.

Maybe you should have let Wifey B go first then it wouldn't be so scary for you.

Sacrificial wife's?
Wait till Wifey B gets drift of that Al you'll be toast .. burnt toast.

My slip neighbor arrived today with his cottage. It's a Nordhavn 47. He's a great guy that I know for years, however, I've had a safe installed on Magic for my shoes. Howard

My slip neighbor arrived today with his cottage. It's a Nordhavn 47. He's a great guy that I know for years, however, I've had a safe installed on Magic for my shoes. Howard

ROFLMAO!!! Say it ain't so!!! Did Ollie move in next door?

"Batten the hatches....stow the foot wear! There's a storm heading this way!!"

I would like a cedar lined sauna please. If my next boat were 10 feet longer maybe.

Well, that one certainly surprised us. A sauna? We have one. It's called outdoors. I've never really understood the appeal of a sauna anyway so will just have to trust you on that one.

If you live in Houston you live in a sauna!

Bob

This is my mental picture of a "cottage on the water":

1024px-LakeUnionHouseboat.jpg

Why does it have to float?

What about buying a stiff legged barge and building a off-the-grid house on it? haul in a bit of soil and you could even have a yard for the pooch.

When you want to go somewhere else, jack up the legs and drive it where you want to go. I am not sure how stable they are with legs up but I've seen them on the ICW.

dash some water on your exhaust manifold while underway? that would probably crack the manifold... never mind.

ROFLMAO!!! Say it ain't so!!! Did Ollie move in next door?

"Batten the hatches....stow the foot wear! There's a storm heading this way!!"

No, not Ollie but I don't trust any of them now.

Well, that one certainly surprised us. A sauna? We have one. It's called outdoors. I've never really understood the appeal of a sauna anyway so will just have to trust you on that one.

You have to spend a little time cruising in the PNW to understand the sauna. Here we don't get the need for AC. the water is usually in the low to mid 50s. The early mornings and many evenings call for heat particularly above desolation sound. By mid day 60s to 70s most of the time with glorious scenery. Off season lots of cool drizzle parts of the day a great time to turn on the sauna. This year is a little unusual a lot warmer dryer earlier is it climate warming??

You have to spend a little time cruising in the PNW to understand the sauna. Here we don't get the need for AC. the water is usually in the low to mid 50s. The early mornings and many evenings call for heat particularly above desolation sound. By mid day 60s to 70s most of the time with glorious scenery. Off season lots of cool drizzle parts of the day a great time to turn on the sauna. This year is a little unusual a lot warmer dryer earlier is it climate warming??

I have cruised in the PNW and Alaska, although not in winter. I did go to Seatlle in winter. I've lived in colder climates. I've been in a sauna. Not my cup of tea and just was surprised with that answer. Obviously a lot of people love them. But then we love hot tubs and jacuzzi's and many people don't like them, just see them as fancy bathtubs.

Last edited:
I would like a cedar lined sauna please. If my next boat were 10 feet longer maybe.
I find that saunas zap the energy from me.

I much prefer a steam bath, then a good massage afterwards,...lots of massages in Thailand....everywhere :thumb:

Attachments

• massage1.jpg
    massage1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 74
  • massage2.jpg
    massage2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 86
  • massage3.jpg
    massage3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 88
Don-- In looking at photos on the web it looks like the Uniflite 28' Mega is what my friend had in Hawaii We fitted a stainless plate to the cockpit sole for reinforcing and mounted a fighting chair on it. I never saw the boat out of the water so don't know if it had the lifting strikes on the hull or not.

What an interesting thread... And as for Sheworthy news? Well, it certainly got your attention, didn't it? And reading it proved the marketers correct. People of both genders are interested.

Boat sellers used to be male-centric. When shopping for Seaweed MANY brokers would not answer queries from Janice. When I would resend the note (exact same!) signing Janice (and Frank) I'd get a response.

Meet Frank:
Frank2.jpg

I "played the game" and got what I wanted, i.e. information about various boats I might buy. By the same token, let a male walk into a quilting shop and he'll be ignored just as rapidly as I am at a marine hardware store. At past fifty with grey hair and a dog in my purse I certainly don't fit the preconceived notions of a boater.

BandB prefer to go fast. There was a time I didn't understand. No, I didn't criticize ('to each their own') however I wondered that they might be missing the experience I enjoy. Then I rode in Little Manatee and gosh, it was wonderful. To fly across the river versus putting along with my trolling motor? Well, I'm sold.

No, I'm not replacing my trolling motor except with another, however I can well appreciate the fun of pure speed. Do the go-fast folks look at life differently? Perhaps to a small extent however they are having fun out here, just as I am. Otherwise their resources would go elsewhere.

Now my boatcard used to say Admiral. That's because of Daddy. One day he was at a yardsale and found a brass sign that said Captain. He bought it, brought it home and screwed it to his chair in the saloon.

Mother said nothing. She did go hunting however and found one that said Admiral. She too said nothing and bolted hers to the same spot on her chair as Daddy had on his.

If you think about it the Admiral decides where to go. It's up to the bridge crew to make sure they arrive safely at the destination. I decide where to go, thus I am the Admiral. I'm also in the bilges fixing stuff, but somehow Fixer-Of-What's-Broken on my boat card didn't fit.

I'd rather be the Admiral. As Captain I am always concerned with the engine, sounds, course steered, and more. It's not nearly as relaxing as being a passenger. Oh it's fun too and the satisfaction of a day underway cannot be underrated however it is Work.

There is a much higher level of stress when it's all your baby and your decisions. I second guess often. Each choice has seemed logical and correct at the time however the benefit of retrospect has led me to a few conclusions where I wish I'd opted differently. Such is life, eh?

And I do refer to wives as the Better Half. There is no offense intended though I suppose some might be put off by my old-fashioned terminology. Tone online is on occasion misconstrued and I would hope that my words do not offend. There is certainly no malice involved.

I assume the best in folks and the joking around? Well, no one is guaranteed not to be offended. All are promised free reign to speak though having an audience is another matter entirely.

When discussing earlier trash compactors versus dishwashers, I did have a thought: Whenever I open a container I do not just toss the empty container in the trash bag. Instead I fill it -- stuffed to the gills so to speak. You'd be surprised how much trash can be put into an empty box or jar.

Garbage rots and smells bad, whereas trash doesn't stink. Thus, garbage is tossed over the side and fish will eat it. Egg shells and pan scrapings, leftovers and stale crackers are fish or crab food and don't make it to shore.

As for comforts of home? Well, Seaweed is my home and I do expect a level of decadence. What I would tolerate and even enjoy at thirty is out of the question now. I want a bunk that is squishy, a refrigerator I can run 24/7 off the grid and more.

This is home and I've been aboard her for seven years. She's improving.

The passagemakers are a different breed. The owners need and expect more. A boat with full access to the Holy Space components for repairs underway is a given. That the galley is able to put out decent food to keep the captain and crew happy is also not up for compromise. And the owner's cabin WILL be comfortable.

Crew aboard such a boat if there is any, will too wish for a higher standard of living than on a day sailer.

But I have to tell you, some of those little weekender boats are pretty spiffy. What they lack for the most part is storage space and engine access. Of course too, the quality of components isn't top of the line.

That said, I've been using a totally inadequate (but paid for) $70 Haier cube refrigerator on and off since 2008. It still works. Would an Engel be better? You betcha. And at $600 or more dollars, it SHOULD be better. What I have though is Good Enough.

I'm not crossing oceans. There's no reason to have a displacement hulled trawler to poke along a coast. Just as my boat isn't made for crossing oceans, those deep draft blue water sailboats wouldn't be able to enjoy the nooks and rivers I can get into.

Different boats. Different styles.
And all of them are right for Someone.

My Seaweed is not the correct choice for most. That doesn't matter in the least to me. She's perfect for me, and that's what counts.

I'll quit now and give your eyes a rest.

FWIW, Janice, the results of a long-term study here in Puget Sound showed that fish and crabs do not, for the most part, eat the garbage boaters throw overboard. Banana peels, melon rinds, etc sink to the bottom where they DO feed the algae that deplete the water of oxygen. This, in turn, depletes the population of fish, crabs, etc.

Where this plays a significant role is in bays, estuaries, fjords, etc with a relatively low water turnover. Here in Puget Sound it's a concern because the water turnover is very slow, particularly in the south sound and Hood Canal. For example, I believe the time it takes for a complete water exchange in Hood Canal (which is a long, natural inlet, not a man-made canal) is one year.

Boater garbage is certainly not as great a contributor to oxygen depletion and algae blooms as other, more dramatic causes. But, as the study concluded, every bit contributes no matter how small or seemingly insignificant it may seem.

Now, a lot of boaters don't care about this sort of thing. Out of sight, out of mind, right? What I found interesting about the study is that my assumption that all that stuff we tossed overboard assuming it was fish and crab food actually isn't. Some of it is, of course, but apparently most of it is not, particularly once it hits the bottom.

The story in the paper about the study concluded with the recommendation that boaters not throw garbage overboard but dispose of it ashore. It's no big deal for us to do that so we do now. But for others, particularly full-time cruisers it may be more hassle than they deem worth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom