Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
And you're still cracking me up!

Gotta admit, dishwashers can be useful. Can't imagine never having been without one, though. Kids were the dishwashers back when Spam was part of normal diet, and radios and heaters were optional on cars...

Different pasts.

-Chris
Wifey B: I was without a dishwasher when I was a little girl. One thing I never grasped was how the dishes had sex but obviously they did cause my sperm donor always was screaming to wash the f...ing dishes. Also I wore gloves doing it which made him furious for some reason in his drunken stupors. But then my very existence did that. Of course he blamed my existence on my mom and took none of that responsibility. Knowing him he was too dumb to know how that works, conception and all. Always so comforting for a child to hear her parents arguing over whose fault it is that they have her. When I ran away and this kind lady gave me a room she had to teach me how to use her dishwasher. I thought it was great and said to myself that when I grew up I was going to have one of those things.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
dishwashers like washing machines are generally more efficient for water usage....

having them aboard makes some sense no matter who you are...though in the big scheme of things...most people don't live aboard so what goes on when they boat is not necessarily related to a 3-4 times as a daily chore.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
dishwashers like washing machines are generally more efficient for water usage....
Good point. As are showers over bath tubs generally. However, through no fault of mine, our showers are generally not efficient, even shared as they generally are.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
this kind lady gave me a room she had to teach me how to use her dishwasher. I thought it was great and said to myself that when I grew up I was going to have one of those things.

There ya go, progress in action. Sounds like a good outcome!

-Chris
Old 06-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Good point. As are showers over bath tubs generally. However, through no fault of mine, our showers are generally not efficient, even shared as they generally are.
Wifey B: No fault of yours??????!!!!!!!!!!!! Takes two to tango. Surely not the fault of innocent lil' me.

Our showers aren't aaallllllllllllllwwwwwaaaayyyyyyysss long. Sometimes we're in a hurry and have somewhere we must go. Beside I bet most people here use more water with each person showering separately.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #26
Guru

I think he might have meant...at least the way I took it ....shower head efficiency over personal desire....but then again....

And water use/conservation is based on a lot of things...the people in the shower is only one component.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
I think he might have meant...at least the way I took it ....shower head efficiency over personal desire....but then again....

And water use/conservation is based on a lot of things...the people in the shower is only one component.
Wifey B: But as a scientist would you say the more people in the shower the better for water conservation?
Old 06-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps is a scientist?
Old 06-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #29

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
cottage on the water

I actually like the term "cottage on the water". For me it describes a special place to visit that is different than home. At one time it was a refuge from the work world. "Cottage" also implies a certain romanticism about boats and the nautical landscape; funky waterfront hangouts, chandleries with oil soaked wood floors, cafes and working man's taverns...and the boats are mostly made of wood or steel. When we first moved to Seattle 25 years ago, this was still the boating scene. No surprise that my 1st boat was a wood boat built in 1941. It utterly oozed with charm and character: brass, bronze, oil lamps, teak exterior, mahogany inside...and the faint smell of diesel. In no time we became "PNW boaters", starting on Lake Washington, then beyond the locks and out to Puget Sound and eventually northward to explore the islands and stunning scenery of Desolation Sound. That was then...

Today we live full time on an island near Seattle. The city house was replaced with a romantic cottage and the wooden boat was replaced by a much newer "plastic" boat, though still of traditional design. I no longer work in the city or travel for business, no more worries about college tuitions or house payments. The boat is still important in my life but not in the same way it was before. In earlier years it was maybe a three week cruise to somewhere; now it's three months to Alaska or exploring the Inside Passage. And because we live in a cottage full time, the boat has become my workshop. It occupies my time and provides a new "refuge" for my busy mind. I truly love my wife and our home and children, but I still need my cottage on the water.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
very interesting thread. I am bit offended at the idea that boat builders are pandering to women with kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms. But I also realize I am not the typical female spouse that is not interested in boating for boating's sake. I feel I am just as involved in the boat as my husband, though I do not take it in and out of the slip. Now that I have lost vision in one eye and my depth perception along with it I don't think I will ever try!

I personally love having a dishwasher on the boat. Neither of us enjoys hand washing and we are on the boat to relax... so it just made sense to us to find room for the dishwasher. Other than that, our boat is very traditional with lots of teak inside. It has an aft cabin with a walk around bed and a separate shower so in that respect I suppose it is also "cottagey." There is no way I would go back to a Vee berth or a pullman or any situation where we have to crawl into the bed. I got over that in my sailing days.

For those in a marriage where one spouse is into boating and the other is a reluctant participant, if having a "cottage" boat is what gets the reluctant spouse on board (pun not intended) then why not? Or perhaps the boating spouse wants the boat to be a private getaway so will go utilitarian to repel the other. Whatever works for your relationship.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #31
Guru

I can guarantee the big US builders, Sea Ray, Chaparral, Carver (Mainship/Silverton before bankruptcy), Rinker and probably most of that style boat (which those named probably account for the overwhelming non fishing or specialty boats in the US) ....

ALL design with a keen eye to pleasing the woman...even to the detriment of quality systems and design eyed towards maintenance.

I worked for/with a senior Marine Max/Sea Ray person and the discussion taught me a lot about boat sales...from conception to after sales service.

Building a good boat is a flitting dream.....building a sellable boat with a loyal customer base was way more important at the corporate level...and why shouldn't it be.

Selling boats is why most boat builders exist.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ps is a scientist?
Sure why not...in many things I love experimenting....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	41134  
Old 06-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Building a good boat is a flitting dream.....building a sellable boat with a loyal customer base was way more important at the corporate level...and why shouldn't it be.

Selling boats is why most boat builders exist.
Can't argue with that!
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: But as a scientist would you say the more people in the shower the better for water conservation?
Stopping at 2 or is this thread going beyond the normal slippage rate for you of "R" rated?
Old 06-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #35

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
I personally love having a dishwasher on the boat.
I'm surprised that veteran boaters not only tolerate them, but swear by them. To my mind, and with a history of boats 30-37', I always viewed dishwashers, BT's and A/C as out of the question (in the PNW). Or else go to 50'and checkbook maintenance - which takes the fun out of it for me..

I recently had a Canoe Cove 37 with two big 8.2L Detroits, an 8KW generator, big fridge, vacuflush, so far so good. But to continue with the systems required for DW and A/C, is like adding a carburetor to my car. My aunts used to tell me they kept a sink half full of water in the Depression, and that's how big families washed dishes - en passant, and into the rack. Always worked for me too, just don't leave them on the counter.

I'm headed back to the 34' range, I expect and will likely settle for twins just to avoid bow thrusters, but that's it. Well, maybe one of those stern jobbies...you know how neighbours love to criticize (my kamikaze docking)..
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones44 View Post
I'm surprised that veteran boaters not only tolerate them, but swear by them. To my mind, and with a history of boats 30-37', I always viewed dishwashers, BT's and A/C as out of the question (in the PNW). Or else go to 50'and checkbook maintenance - which takes the fun out of it for me..

I recently had a Canoe Cove 37 with two big 8.2L Detroits, an 8KW generator, big fridge, vacuflush, so far so good. But to continue with the systems required for DW and A/C, is like adding a carburetor to my car. My aunts used to tell me they kept a sink half full of water in the Depression, and that's how big families washed dishes - en passant, and into the rack. Always worked for me too, just don't leave them on the counter.

I'm headed back to the 34' range, I expect and will likely settle for twins just to avoid bow thrusters, but that's it. Well, maybe one of those stern jobbies...you know how neighbours love to criticize (my kamikaze docking)..
Are you a live aboard or cruise for months at a time?
Old 06-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #37
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:

I'm not a very good scientist, I will need more research, a bunch more.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Living on my 28 footer is like wilderness camping compared to some of the stories here. We wash our dishes in our 1 square foot sink. Need more?
eat less...:-)

Dishwashers are for condo's...
Old 06-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We live on the boat full time but no dishwasher and we aren't camping. With just the 2 of us, it's not like we dirty a lot of dishes everyday.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We live on the boat full time but no dishwasher and we aren't camping. With just the 2 of us, it's not like we dirty a lot of dishes everyday.
Exactly, we don't even have a dish strainer.

Put a towell onn the counter, and stack the dishes so they dry.

Personally the 30" of undercounter storage is much more valuable thhan the 15 minutes a day I spend washing the dishes.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote