Old 04-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #21

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
i would not pay over 7-9k to overhaul an old diesel when you can get more modern remaned engines for under 15k.

When my Perkins needs it i'll go Cummins. It's sad and wasteful but the support dwindles and I wouldn't want to invest in a dying platform.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We looked at re-powering instead of rebuilding. When we looked at the running gear, engine beds, shaft log, electrical panel, fuel system, etc., that would have to be changed or modified, the project costs more than tripled. We couldn’t justify it in a 30 plus year old boat.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #23

City: Northport
How many hours are on the engine/s?

I rebuild will probably cost you as stated (10-17k). But that’s just the start of it. You would add on 3k for unspecified expenses (getting trannies redone/exhaust, motor mounts etc...)

I have a Lehman with 5800 hours. I put 3000 of those hours on in just 4 years. I do all required maintenance (even lash the valves) and spend the cash on the consumables like elbows/coolers etc.... I ran it at full throttle for about 2400 of those hours traveling. (It’s in a smaller 26foot downeast boat with a 2 to 1 reduction)

I am a worry wart by nature and, like you, figured my purchase of the boat with a rebuild cost. That damn engine just runs and runs. I think it even runs better now, than when I bought it.

My point is, sure, calculate the rebuild costs, but don’t dwell on it. That engine will disappoint you in regards to any plans to rebuild it.
Alisske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I had the number six cylinder in my port FL 120 suddenly develop a severe piston slap in 1987, about six months after I bought the boat.

I had recently reengineered the original muffler system from an all metal muffler place OVER THE TOP of the engine to a fiberglass lift system, but it was not soon enough.

The interior exhast pipe extended upward into the larger diameter "can" of the muffler to near its flat top. Water was injected into the can about midway up its side. Judging by the rust stains dribbling down the sides of the cylinder, the exhaust pipe had long ago rotted out inside the can allowing water to ingress the last cylinder after engine shutdown.

The most interesting fact was that the piston showed signs or "knurling" which is the shady practice of cross-hatching the skirts of the piston followed by smoothing to raise the overall surface back to original or higher. So somebody had previously removed this engine and had taken a shortcut.

For $6500, the engine was rebored, new larger diameter pistons installed along with new bearings, and four hours after getting underway from the FL dealer there in San Diego, the noise returned. The dealer identified the cause as "Bad" pistons and redid the job at his cost. Engine is still running like a champ in 2018 under the new-since-2015 owner.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #25

City: Fremantle
Vessel Name: Annie
Vessel Model: Clipper 34
We have twin 4 cylinder Lehmans in our 34' clipper. Found the dreaded coolent in the oil and we traced it to a failed liner.
To be honest any marine diesel mechanic locally was useless for this vintage, so we easily removed the engine ourself and sought assistance from a tractor repair shop. These guys knew the ford engine inside out, completed a full rebuild cheaply and sourced all the needed parts.

we just separated the cooling system and have sourced / serviced elsewhere.

I was keen to perform myself, and understood the theory with the engine being sio simple but didnt trust my practical skills and did not want to go to the trouble of refitting the engine only to find issues caused by my poor workshop skills..

Worth noting we are in Western Australia, so if you are in the US, likely you have skilled mechanics at your disposal.

All that being said, the lehmans are great, cheap to mainatain and repair, and if need cheap to rebuild. Our rebuild, including the fuel pump (1500 worth) and cooling system was about 6k australian.
mlaloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Just had out 120 Lehman "serviced" at a total cost of $ 6000.00. (Pat's Marine Engines in Seattle) Oil changes, filter changes, impeller change, engine anodes changed, exhaust manifold removed and machined, new exhaust elbow fitted with new exhaust hose with better "flow". Heat exchange taken off and thoroughly cleaned and put back. (Made a big difference in the amount of cooling water out of wet exhaust!) Some new hoses, all fresh fluids and oils.
Not cheap, but hopefully good for another 50 years! Engine only has 3500 hrs on it. Service engineer stated that diesels need to run and run often!! Work still interferes with the hobby!!!!
GB3295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #27

City: Va Beach
Vessel Name: SeaShell
Vessel Model: 1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
GB3295 is there any chance you could post a video clip of how much water you are putting out of your exhaust at idle? I have the same engine and would love to compare.
SeaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
Last year Harbor Marine in Everett was quoting $17,000 plus a core. Try them or North Harbor in Anacortes for current prices.
I don't believe they are rebuilding Lehman engines any longer. Last year I was there for a motor mount casting and they said the fellow that did the rebuilding had health issues. But call them none the less, they are good people.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #29
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB3295 View Post
Just had out 120 Lehman "serviced" at a total cost of $ 6000.00. (Pat's Marine Engines in Seattle) Oil changes, filter changes, impeller change, engine anodes changed, exhaust manifold removed and machined, new exhaust elbow fitted with new exhaust hose with better "flow". Heat exchange taken off and thoroughly cleaned and put back. (Made a big difference in the amount of cooling water out of wet exhaust!) Some new hoses, all fresh fluids and oils.
Not cheap, but hopefully good for another 50 years! Engine only has 3500 hrs on it. Service engineer stated that diesels need to run and run often!! Work still interferes with the hobby!!!!
I had work 10k$ worth of done at Pats several years ago. Most of the work was done well and I was pleased. Come to find out years later they repositioned the new motor mounts and changed the rear ones to being supported by the transmission. My shipwright in Port Townsend discovered this and said nobody does this. I called Pat and he denied doing it, which is weird. YMMV
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #30
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Most smaller engines stateside have rear mounts on the gear, front mounts on the front of the engine block. It can be done on the engine only, that can be ok too. I can't imagine anyone changing it unless there is a driving need to do so. That is a lot of work.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
I will certainly do that, but will be a while, as stated, work interferes with the hobby and my work takes me out of the country. Once done, I will post it for sure!
GB3295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #32
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
FWIW, I have had two FL 120's rebuilt. Different reasons for each engine, though one was the number 6 cylinder issue that Bruce alluded to. Each rebuild ran into the low $20k's.

What I did on each occasion though was with the engines out I sent the gearbox's off to be overhauled. It is quite cheap once the engine is out to do this, and in all probability it may not have been needed. Still when they are reaching 30 odd years of age a little TLC is a good thing.

Speaking of velvet drive gearboxes, I was advised that for either the port or starboard box, parts are no longer available, sorry can't remember which one. Anyone heard of this?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #33

City: KETCHIKAN
Vessel Name: Gracie L II
Vessel Model: 1994 Deltaga
Rebuild

Picked up a 38' 2 years ago with a 120 in it. I've been wondering when my rebuild is coming.?
Stuck thermostat led to a blown coolant line to the expansion tank (keel cooled). Flushed the system and new thermo, everything seems fine. They really are simple engines. I've been thinking of sourcing out a block and parts to make a spare. Would be a cool learning experience.
After reading this awesome thread, I may be changing my tune?
Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #34
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Speaking of velvet drive gearboxes, I was advised that for either the port or starboard box, parts are no longer available, sorry can't remember which one. Anyone heard of this?
All parts required for typical rebuild are available anywhere. e.g. clutch disks, seals, gasket sets, bearings, hyd pumps. Some parts are no longer in production. CR2 control valves are no longer made but the pistons are available so they can be easily rebuilt. Gears might be hard to source, esp pinion gears, but they rarely need replacement.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

120 Lehman valve adjustment or?

Hi! Not a mechanic and need advice. Not mechanics where I am. On our trip in from Prince William Sound I experienced a severe vibration. It sounds like chain sliding in the locker but unfortunately wasn’t. At about 17 hundred rpms it was in and out for short periods. Upon slowing it decreases in frequency. Could this be valve adjustment or clatter? I’ve never adjusted the Valves. Or should I look for shaft noise? Shaft bearing going out? It sure sounds like upper engine noise. No decrease in rpm or speed or power. I know this is vague. Going back to do more inspections today. 1982 Chb and single 120 Lehman. Thanks from Alaska.
mizzkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #36
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Check to see if you can hear about where it is coming from.

If you can hear it back near the bellhousing, might be a dampner plate...especially if all else seems normal.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #37
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thought I was on a different thread.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #38

City: Malabar
Ford Lehman Tools

I recently bought a President 37 with 2 Lehman 120s and a Westerbeke genny which currently sits on the hard in the Bahamas. I need to take tools and parts with me from Florida to prepare it for the trip to the states. I am purchasing a set of tools for the boat. Which size tools are required to work on these engines? SAE? Or metric?
dieseldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:17 AM   #39
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
SAE for the Lehmans.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:19 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan View Post
I recently bought a President 37 with 2 Lehman 120s and a Westerbeke genny which currently sits on the hard in the Bahamas. I need to take tools and parts with me from Florida to prepare it for the trip to the states. I am purchasing a set of tools for the boat. Which size tools are required to work on these engines? SAE? Or metric?
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. The Lehmans are mostly SAE but there are a couple of metric things on them. I have posted the recommended tools on TF. I just looked and I don’t have the list on my computer anymore but you can search TF to find it. Sometimes Google search works better than the TF search.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote