Old 05-13-2019, 12:52 AM   #1
Guru

City: Anacortes
Cork countertops

A few months ago I decided to replace my 1980 Formica with something a little more pleasing on the eyes. I found a company producing 1.25Ē high density cork, and decided to give it a go. Enlarged the sink, had to move all the plumbing to make it fit and then capped it with Myrtlewood, which is not always easy to get, and one tree rarely matches another, so always a little different.

Here are the counters, nearing ready to be finished. Iím going try try Waterlox for these, yet another new adventure. So far, this project has been about 5X what I had initially planned for in every way.

Iím also quite beyond my capability here, so Iím just happy itís turning out as good as it has. Not perfect, but I am pleased.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A360E78F-256D-4D94-8609-B23C9A37A0BE.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	88510   Click image for larger version

Name:	5D2450E1-50D9-47B0-93D3-211F263BCCCD.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	88511  

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:17 AM   #2

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
It doesn't appear that your of your element one bit, looks nice! Really like the grain of the Myrtlewood.
Did the original counters have the raised lip around the perimeter? When I replace our old Formica I'm leaning towards eliminating the lip.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:20 AM   #3
Guru

Interesting choice. We have extensive cork tile flooring at home including the kitchen. It has lasted well, saved many a dropped plate or glass, and looks good. Will you need to seal it due to the porosity, of course our floor is sealed.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:01 AM   #4
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aft Deck Capt View Post
It doesn't appear that your of your element one bit, looks nice! Really like the grain of the Myrtlewood.
Did the original counters have the raised lip around the perimeter? When I replace our old Formica I'm leaning towards eliminating the lip.
As annoying as the lip can be, it does contain spills.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Very nicely done, congrats!

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. g. I'm impressed! Looks very nice.

Mr. ADC. Another advantage of keeping the fiddles other than containing spills, as mentioned above it they also keep "stuff" from sliding off counters in less than calm weather. Yes, one should clear the counters and latch lockers for heavy weather but there's always that something you just put down for a minute...

Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
It looks really nice!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Guru

The fiddles would go on after the base finish. The prior ones were actually pretty low impact, just a halfish round thin strip glued along the edge. I use the laptop on the breakfast bar and dinette a lot, so strongly leaning to not replace them. The cork, even after being finished should retain a good bit of nonskid property.

One ďscrew upĒ I noticed. Behind my new sink, Iím actually a little under the overhang of my dishes area. I found I canít get the router in there, itís too tall. So I canít cut the round over around the sink edge! Iím trying to find a trim router low profile enough to get in there. Iíve only got about 7 3/4 inches to work with.

I also donít have enough room to mount the faucet along the back, so itís likely go8ng to go on the left side. Not sure what Iím going with yet, but maybe something more upscale to set the whole thing off.

Next up, the old princess electric range is getting replaced with propane. They used to mount tanks under the flybridge, but there is really no way to do it there and meet ABYC. Iíd be inclined to ignore that, but my reading of the rules tells me that they are spot on correct out of principle, not just politics. So....either I run about 45 feet of hose back to my sun deck, not all of it easily inspected, or next best location is actually inside the boat in a plumbed/sealed propane locker that vents out above the waterline. Emotionally, I never wanted a propane tank ďinsideĒ, but to meet ABYC, logically, thatís going to be the best spot. Cuts down my hose run to under 20 feet, bends and all.

How many of you have something similar? Functionally, it makes sense, but emotionally I just wanted it outside, but outside does not mean it is safe and not likely to just run back into the hull. Two sides of my brain are still fighting, even though I know objectively what is the right answer.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I really like the look of your Myrtle, if that is what is on the side of the upper counter. It looks a lot like my own western maple furniture, that came from a tree that came down to make room for my house, several years ago. I looked at a Myrtle website and the pictures of the variety of grains is quite similar to the maple. I wouldn't do a fiddle on the upper counter, but only the lower.
I can't tell from your photos that the counters are cork, they look so smooth and blemish free. Are you going to finish them with polyurethane? When I was looking at cork flooring, that was the common finish.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #10
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Do you just have to route the back edge of the sink where it is straight or do you have to do the rounded corners also? If you only have to do the straight part you could tip the router over 90 degrees and route it horizontally. Of course it wonít work going around the radius corners but it will work on the straight.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #11
Guru

Or even route as much as possible with the router horizontal and then finish the corners by hand with a file.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
Guru

My confidence in hand sanding the cork is not where I want it, so Iíll leave the sink corners square until I find a safe solution. Itís a cosmetic option, so no worries in leaving it for now, other than having to put a finish the rounded corners later.

Myrtle can look a lot like maple, though often just a shade more yellow. But you can get dark grain patterns you donít get in maple. Here is a pic of my back door I did last year in Myrtle as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	57869275856__9E977F3E-26F2-45B7-AA90-F0A407B07CDB.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	88583

I plan on finishing the cork and Myrtle trim with waterlox, which is Tung oil based, kind of a thin short oil varnish type of product.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
Guru

Just practice on some scrap.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #14
Guru

Internet consulted. Ridgid model 2401, shortest trim router at 6.5Ē. Gives me a whole 1.25 inches to spare, six in stock at home cheapo.

Iíve got too much time and money to risk screwing it up, a talent I can excel at in creative ways.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #15
Guru

It is always good to buy a new tool. My wife says I have never met a tool that I didnít need. I think I have 6 routers...
Old 05-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Nice work, would be interested in seeing the finished product (pics), also close up of the counter top itself. Thanks for sharing!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #17
Guru

Here is my test piece. Three coats of original Waterlox, one coat of matte. This was raw, not finish sanded so the actual countertop will be a little smoother.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	88853
Old 05-17-2019, 12:38 AM   #18
Guru

And my last two pieces of Myrtle. The one on the left will become the trim around my new Dickinson stove. The one on the right will go behind the sink, Iíll cut out slots for plates, bowls, glasses, etc. both have interesting grain. Behind them is my mostly finished dinette table waiting to be installed.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	88854
Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
And my last two pieces of Myrtle. The one on the left will become the trim around my new Dickinson stove. The one on the right will go behind the sink, Iíll cut out slots for plates, bowls, glasses, etc. both have interesting grain. Behind them is my mostly finished dinette table waiting to be installed.Attachment 88854

And then itís going to take a month to clean my small shop. Donít think itís ever gotten this bad. Looks like a bomb went off. LoL!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	88855
Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #20

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Model: Beals Island lobster boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Here is my test piece. Three coats of original Waterlox, one coat of matte. This was raw, not finish sanded so the actual countertop will be a little smoother.Attachment 88853
That looks nice! Good work.

Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote