Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Aku Uka
Vessel Model: 43’ DeFever
Cored Hull?

In need of advice. Ran across a boat for sale I like. After investigating found out it has leaks that got into the cored hull above the waterline. This info came from people in the harbor. I really like the boat and need some advice on how big of a problem this may be. Could I find and stop the leaks and repair the damage? Or is a cored hull boat just not worth the trouble. Don't need to get in the weeds with a lot of details, just some opinions on leaking cored hulls.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
A couple recent threads on this topic have a lot of information.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You said the leaks are above the waterline in the core. Is the hull cored below the waterline also. If so this can be a huge can of worms. The water may have traveled all over the bottom or may just be in a small area. No way to tell without hauling the boat and using a moisture meter to find out. Even then will there be more areas that eventually start to leak? There was a long thread in the last two weeks about cored bottoms. Personally I am very glad my hull is solid.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Almost all production trawlers are built with cored decks and superstructure and some are built with coring below the water line.

Water getting into the core at the deck level is often due to stanchions that have been pushed against hard and broke the top layer of the glass that they are attached to or similar damage to the top layer of the glass. This lets water seep into the cracks and wet the core. Another common cause is older teak decks where the screws leak into the core.

A surveyor can tell approximately how bad and extensive it is by tapping on the hull and the use of a moisture meter. If it is minor then rebedding the stanchion can stop it spreading and causing more damage inside. If it is more extensive then you have to remove the top (or sometimes bottom) layer of glass, dig out the mushy core, replace the core and glass over it.

The only time I actually saw this done was to an area of the side decks of about three square feet and it cost several thousand dollars, but looked as good as new afterwards.

But for many older TT trawlers it isn't worth fixing particularly if the rotted core is extensive and in several areas. Rotted core rarely becomes a structural issue.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #5

From the info I've gotten it has a solid bottom and only cored above the waterline.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
You need an expert to help you understand the extent of the moisture intrusion and the estimated cost of repair. Only then can you make an informed decision. I would guess if others in the marina know it has issues then they are significant issues.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Buster
Vessel Model: North Sea Cape Classic 30
What type of core material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Life View Post
In need of advice. Ran across a boat for sale I like. After investigating found out it has leaks that got into the cored hull above the waterline. This info came from people in the harbor. I really like the boat and need some advice on how big of a problem this may be. Could I find and stop the leaks and repair the damage? Or is a cored hull boat just not worth the trouble. Don't need to get in the weeds with a lot of details, just some opinions on leaking cored hulls.

Thanks
It depends on the type of core material. If the wet core is balsa wood, just walk away. Wet balsa dissolves and turns into mush. However, if the core material is CORECELL or a similar material that does not absorb water, it is possible to vacuum out the water and repair the site of the leak. The screws that attach seats and other hardware are a common source of leaks into a cored hull. The cost of these repairs can easily exceed the value of the vessel. Good luck.
DLETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Take a look at this recent thread I began:http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ter-42641.html
I thought about this, a lot,and decided against a cored hull underwater. As to a cored hull above water, be the core foam or worse, balsa or other wood product, if it is already wet I would not buy it,if dry I might. To do so with it already wet would be buying into problems,don`t do it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If the water is in the hull, I would oass. If the water is in the deck it might be a deal if the price is right. Repairing a deck core isn’t that big a deal.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #10
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
For what it's worth, my cored hull was wet, very wet in 2015, due to a poorly repaired thru hull fitting.
My bashing a couple rocks in Finland, did not help.
In October 2015, pulled the boat and let it dry in windy, wet Ireland.
It took 4 months.
Did bottom job spring 2016.
Cruised from Ireland to Mexico Pacific.
Fall 2018 hauled for winter and they put a small hole in skeg in doing so.
It was dry.

A boat is a complex system. Everything has advantages and disadvantages.
There is no perfect boat, just like there is no perfect hull.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:36 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
For what it's worth, my cored hull was wet, very wet in 2015, due to a poorly repaired thru hull fitting.
My bashing a couple rocks in Finland, did not help.
In October 2015, pulled the boat and let it dry in windy, wet Ireland.
It took 4 months.
Did bottom job spring 2016.
Cruised from Ireland to Mexico Pacific.
Fall 2018 hauled for winter and they put a small hole in skeg in doing so.
It was dry.

A boat is a complex system. Everything has advantages and disadvantages.
There is no perfect boat, just like there is no perfect hull.
Wow, KK's have cored hulls below the WL? I never would have guessed that.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
~1993 is when Krogen switched to solid fiberglass below the waterline from PVC foam core for the KK42.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #13

Anyone have any info on the specs of a Sea Ranger hull? I can’t find anything or if the company is still in business.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Powerboat Guide lists a 46 Sundeck and a 52 Cockpit MY which is the 46 with a cockpit. Built from 1985 to 1989. In my opinion a downside is listed with Volvo engines. 46’ specs were 15’4” beam, 4’ draft, 40k pounds weight, fuel 850 gal, water 350 gal, waste 45 gal, headroom 6’5”. No manufacturers info listed, doubt it is still in business. Said it was heavily built and fit and finish above average.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 AM   #15
FF
Guru

Should you decide to purchase the vessel be sure to locate a yard that has experience in this type of repair FIRST.

Only they can give an estimate of repair costs , the average marina / boat yard will have no clue!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #16
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post

Luckily for me.
Otherwise Dauntless would be at the bottom of the Baltic.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: San Diego, California
cored hulls below the waterline

We have owned and travelled extensively on a 58 Westbay Sonship over the last 5 years. The Westbays are cored with a divinicell type material and the layup is done with vacuum bagging. I have replaced 2 thru hulls over that time for our generators and where each thru hull was placed there is a west epoxied pillow block glassed into the layup. It looked like the isothalmic resin and glass layup on either side of the coring was about 3/8" thick. We have bashed our way back up to California from Puerto Vallarta in some really crappy weather. Short interval and a lot of pounding hour after hour. Last haulout in June not a crack anywhere.No water intrusion anywhere while doing engine and lazarette checks every few hours. So obviously it comes down to how the cored hull was built. A blanket statement saying this type of hull is no good is a very generalized statement. This boat is 17 yrs. old and we have put about 14K nautical miles on her.
Ross Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I don’t think that cored hulls are necessarily bad, but they do allow for problems more than a solid hull. Cored hulls have to not only be built correctly but also have to be maintained correctly and there in lies the problems. How do you know how a PO installed through hulls, etc. It is a big unknown.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: San Diego, California
The answer to your question is we bought the boat from the original owner who had Westbay build it to his specs. All of the thru hulls are original factory installs. The boat was delivered to him with an extensive schematic manual that covers all wiring, plumbing, mechanical schematics. There are 7 thru hulls in the boat installed at the factory plus 2 factory installed depth/fish finders. So the only newly added thru hulls were by me at the yard last June before departing for Mexico.
Ross Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Yes, Westbay has made some nice vessels over the years. Along with other PNW built vessels such as Pacific Mariner and Westport, their core below the waterline build standards have apparently held up well.

The recent TF discussions are largely regarding known problems with specific problem brands, failing cored hulls, poor maintenance and improper through hulls. But being the internet, lots of chatter gets generated.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote