Copper Tubing to Bridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvd

Vessel Name
BOOSTER
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
So I was crawling around inside the helm area on my flybridge (is there a name for that area?) yesterday evening to get to the back of my running lights (replacing them) when I came across a coil of copper tubing emerging from the wire chase from below. There's probably 10-12 ft. of 1/4 or 5/16 tubing coiled up with the distal end not connected to anything. From the patina, it appears to be original to the 1987 boat, but not to have been used for anything. I've got hydraulic steering, but that line looks to be 1/2 inch or more and it's completely separate. No other hydraulics on the boat. Wanted to get home before it started snowing - didn't have time to track it down last night so I don't know where it goes, but I don't recall seeing any tubing like that in the engine room or bilge. Any ideas on what it might have been for?

Thanks,

dvd

It's for propane tanks that would have been stored under your flybridge helm, is my guess.

I found the same thing on my boat when I was cleaning up out after a fire. There was a hard line that ran all the way to the helm. I cut it off but always wondered what it was there for.

dvd wrote:

So I was crawling around inside the helm area on my flybridge (is there a name for that area?) yesterday evening to get to the back of my running lights (replacing them) when I came across a coil of copper tubing emerging from the wire chase from below. There's probably 10-12 ft. of 1/4 or 5/16 tubing coiled up with the distal end not connected to anything. From the patina, it appears to be original to the 1987 boat, but not to have been used for anything. I've got hydraulic steering, but that line looks to be 1/2 inch or more and it's completely separate. No other hydraulics on the boat. Wanted to get home before it started snowing - didn't have time to track it down last night so I don't know where it goes, but I don't recall seeing any tubing like that in the engine room or bilge. Any ideas on what it might have been for?

Thanks,

dvd

Not sure of the official name- but when cruising I swing out the stb access door where the VHF radio is mounted, and the the pups consider it their "doghouse" :). Our propane tank is mounted in this area and just beyond the lockoff we have rubber fuel line running to the stove. I would think copper would be a much better choice.

It was left over from the moonshine still hidden in the flybridge...
:-D

Thanks. I could see where it could be for propane since the boat was built in Taiwan and finished in the US. It was finished with an all-electric galley, so it makes sense that the tubing for propane would have been stubbed in early. The still idea does sound intriguing, though. Upper steering station is hydraulic -- separate line, however.

dvd

I have copper pipping for both my hydraulic steering and my diesel heating stove....* I have a gravity feed diesel tank under my flybridge....

-- Edited by superdiver on Saturday 11th of February 2012 11:41:38 AM

Back
Top Bottom