Copies of documents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freespool

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
Offshore 62
Hello all,

I am wondering if copies of my Coast Guard documentation and registration for my inflatable are acceptable. My preference would be to keep my originals in my safe at home instead of on the boat. Has anyone ever had an issue when presenting copies of these documents?

Thanks in advance!

I never have - because I carry the original. In a sleeve in a binder with other boat docs. Scanned to computer file for reference. Worst case, the original gets damaged and I have to order a new one.

The original of your documentation is required to be on the boat. There is a potential rather nasty fine if you don't have it. Keep the copy at home. Here in Maine registration is printed on plain paper at the place you get it at so you can't tell a copy from the original. I keep the original on the boat and a copy in my wallet. I keep another copy at home.

Same as Sbu22 here. Originals on board, scanned electronic copies as backup, at home and aboard. All paper is replaceable if needed.

I don't see much value in locking them in a safe ashore.

Same as Sbu22 here. Originals on board, scanned electronic copies as backup, at home and aboard. All paper is replaceable if needed.

I don't see much value in locking them in a safe ashore.

Same here. May seem silly, but copies could easily have been altered. While CG could check their records and might let you off with a warning, I've known one instant with one was entering another country and was not allowed to continue until the original was sent to them there. It was their third entry to that country with the other two having gone fine with copies.

Awesome. Thanks for the information. I will keep the originals on board.

I keep the original paperwork in a big watertight bag in the salon that I call my 'boarding bag'. Includes Certificate of documentation for the boat, registration for the boat, title and registration for the tender, insurance declaration page, waste management plan, and boating safety course certificates for me and the admiral. Hard paper copies at home in the firebox and scans of everything on my phone/in the cloud.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom