Cooler / ice chest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like KTDTX in post #24 I find the YETI type coolers very heavy even empty, especially when considering their capacity.
They do keep things cold well, if you can handle them.

I use cheapo coolers. One thing that helps is draping a wet white towel over them. Keeps the sun and wind from enhancing melting.

Yeti cooler. Yeti tumblers and Yeti beer coozies. All work really great. Don't buy a cooler any larger than you want to lift loaded.

As has been reported...Yeti thought they had a good idea...but it was already been beat and has since been copied for much less.

I have plenty of testimonials that much cheaper coolers work as well, better or close enough.

For years I knew I could build a better cooler than Yeti or any of the others...heck read any old boating mag on iceboxes. Just not as pretty or portable.

On a power boat, not sure why coolers are necessary except for a day or overnight excursion so why not go with a powered cooler?...unless a tiny boat with limited battery and charging sources.

I wouldn't buy Yeti anything because there are perfectly suitable alternatives and names to me are nothing....why I wear clothes without logos....I have skills that impress people, not a wallet.

Beer and drinks WAY better from an ice filled cooler. My fridge is for food only. If the fridge door keeps getting opened for people getting drinks, it never has a chance to cool down. No fan of stinky sandwich meat and curdled coffee creamer.

That's why I use a cooler. A powered cooler would be nice, but expensive and complicated and not so portable.

A top loaded fridge would be the ticket, cold stays in it even if you are opening door often. But big $$.

Here's a 3.4 cu ft "electric cooler" on sale now at Costco for US$99! Just picked one up as a replacement for my boat. It's also got a decent size frost-free freezer.

imageService

https://www.costco.com/Midea-3.4-cu-ft-Compact-Refrigerator,-WHD-125FBS1.product.100352580.html

Before I had enough solar to run my refrigerator I used a pair of small cheap coolers. One was the six pack size and a second half gallon liquids cooler jug. I would fill both to the brim with ice and go back to Seaweed. In 24 hours all ice would be gone. Now I was making iced tea and using it to keep cool grocery items .

Still it was a 24 hour use. Then I found a piece of blueboard insulation. (Pink would work too.)

I cut the piece to loosely fit in the top of the cooler and slide down as the ice was used. Now my ice lasted 36 hours. Win!

My theory is that the ice is 32 degrees. It is warming in the open air of the cooler. When I made that area containing ice smaller it stayed frozen longer. I would put food on top of the blue board and it was cold enough. I was still using the ice as there is not much better than a refreshing glass of iced tea.

You have no idea what a huge difference having this extra solar meant to my happiness quotient. I can and do have iced tea ALL the time. It really is a wonderful life. I am blessed.

P.S. - Try the insulation board and I believe you'll be convinced too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the thread creep here, but we solved this "problem" by adding a drop in fridge to our summer kitchen, so far it has worked great.

I still bring a cooler though, we need somewhere to throw fish, conch and lobster.

Back
Top Bottom