Coolant recovery bottle overflowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkeye

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Happy Clown
Vessel Make
Heritage 45 Europa
Been able to get to the boat twice in the past month. First time, I noticed that the coolant was to the top and overflowing the Westerbeke (WMD 7.7) bottle. I drew out a good amount with a turkey baster and replaced the top. I returned a few weeks later, ran the genny for about an hour and found the bottle full and overflowing again. I haven't added any coolant between these incidents. Any ideas?

Is this a change out of nowhere or was the coolant recently changed out?
When you take the cap off the coolant header tank, cold engine, is it full to the top?
Borrow a pressure tester and test the coolant system.

As Archie asked, coolant in expansion tank?

Head gasket leak?

Bubbles in tank when running?

Other questions:
Any bubble in the header while running?
Any color change?

L

Oups just saw psneel post above with same question :)

If your coolant is becoming contaminated as well as overfull it is likely that your heat x-changer is leaking raw water over to the coolant side.

Normal for a few ounces on that little machine to go into bottle at heat up. But only a few ounces. More than that and something is up.

Heat exchanger. If you have saltwater in the coolant, it's a given. HX failure isn't uncommon, my Westerbeke has just under 4000 hrs, I'm on my 3rd HX. My 2nd was a Sendure, don't think it was cupro-nickel.

Pressure test the cooling system, to confirm.

Lenco will have a replacement. If you're in salt water, go for the cupro-nickel. Got the replacement for my Westerbeke from them, good product, reliable service, price is more reasonable than an OEM exchanger.

Last edited:
Rain water dripping into the bottle?

Did you confirm the bottle stayed low between removal and running it again?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom