Old 10-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Coolant recovery

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:

Who'd a thunk coolant recovery would rival twins-vs-single, anchors or dripless packing for endless discussion?*
Did you know that there is a mud-recovery system that works terrific but is only available on Rocna and Sarca anchors?* People with Bruces and CQRs and Danforth's can't take advantage of this technology.* The downside is that its power requirements are such that you have to have a twin engine boat, another reason why twins are better than singles.

How's that.......?

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #42
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Thorough

Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:37 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Now now Marin, you're being provocative - and wrong in fact. Sorry, can't let that one go. The Rocna and Manson Supreme recover mud, Sarca does not.
Lifted from Sarca website....

"The imitators marketed under the banner of new generation anchors are of concave design and of course work quite well, after all they are based on SARCA's design, unfortunately the mud problem has raised it's ugly head on many forums and confirmed to us that we had made the right decision, (convex). SARCA doesn't have the mud bucket design."

Sorry Marin, but as a stickler for accuracy, you'll understand.....I couldn't let that go through to the keeper.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #44
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Larry M wrote:

Keith:* Did you change the cap?

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX
No, just added the coolant recovery tank and hooked the hose to the outlet on the cap neck. My tank is above the engine level.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #45
TF Site Team

Keith this sounds interesting, as in a way, your set-up defies the laws of physics - sort of. I can see how if your bottle/reservoir is above the header tank, then excess coolant forced out when hot and expanding, could then siphon rather than suck back when it cools....except it should not be able to simply siphon back when it cools, because that could only happen if your cap had no pressure valve at all. This is because the pressure valve which it forced its way past to escape, would trap it above that valve, and unless fitted with the special inner return valve, there it would stay. Are you absolutely sure the coolant is actually being returned to the header tank when cool, or is it just that you have established the sort of status quo most of us without coolant return systems have by leaving a small space below the cap, so the expansion/contraction is going on under the cap, with only a bit of excess venting. If it truly is returning a significant volume of coolant to the header tank, then I would say it must have been fitted with a cap meant for a coolant return system all along.
For me, that is going to be the problem, and maybe why, as Marin says, to do a conversion on the L120, the actual neck of the filler aperture has to be replaced as well. There may be no cap made with inner return valve which will fit the original filler cap neck.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

Coolant recovery

We ARE talking two different engines here.... The base engine for the FL120 predates the base engine for the FL135 by a fair amount.* Of course the* header tank is a Lehman component, not a Ford component, but by the time Lehman created the FL135 they may have used a recovery-type cap as standard.* In which case Keth's installation of a recovery bottle connected to the overflow tube with no other modifications would work as advertised.

I've no experience with an FL135 so have no idea of the details of its systems. All I know is that the stock neck and cap of the FL120's header tank does not permit coolant to flow back into the header tank.* But this is an engine that predates the FL135 by nearly twenty years if the FL135 did not appear until the early 80s.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 9th of October 2010 11:28:45 PM
Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #47
TF Site Team

Exactly...as I said.......
"If it truly is returning a significant volume of coolant to the header tank, then I would say it must have been fitted with a cap meant for a coolant return system all along.
For me, that is going to be the problem, and maybe why, as Marin says, to do a conversion on the L120, (as opposed to the L135) the actual neck of the filler aperture has to be replaced as well. There may be no cap made with inner return valve which will fit the original filler cap neck."
Old 10-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #48
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Peter B wrote:There may be no cap made with inner return valve which will fit the original filler cap neck."
Could be.* The cap that comes with AD's conversion kit for the FL120 is noticeably different-- it's smaller and taller as I recall-- than the stock cap.