Old 08-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #21
City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
As a young man I went through a hot rod phase. The one thing I learned was that the more you spent and the futher from stock you got the more you wanted to get back to stock. Makes sense that speed shops are there to make money, not so much to sell you real car improvement. Bottom line, the best car people work for the manufacturers for a reason. I think I will stick with the factory recommendations.

Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #22
Water is the best coolant , but as with oil, there are lots of extra goodies stuck in.
Rust is what iron does but there is usually a lot of other metals in a engine cooling circuit.

The best I nave been able to figure is about 33% antifreez , with the rest distilled water makes the best mix for folks that dont do much operation in freezing waters.

The anti-freez still dies and becomes acidic so must be flushed and changed , every 3 years is a common number.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #23
City: North Charleston, SC
A new diesel engine costs $25K more or less. Anyone who doesn't follow the engine manufacturer's recommendation for coolant is a fool. That would include the type of coolant and the change interval. Coolant in an engine does more than just cool.

If cost is a factor, you can't afford to own a boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #24
City: Marysville, Wa.
The Wix part number is 24056 and Wix makes NAPA filters. Sounds like you talked to the new guy at the parts store, so ask for the manager and ask him to interchange the part number.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #25
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Our Cummins has Fleetguard Polyglycol coolant. They make a test kit that test to the verify coolant specs. If they are out you just add the additive to bring it back to spec. I almost did a wholesale change out of both engines coolant this spring when I cleaned coolers. I found out about the test strips and tested the old coolant I drained out. It was well within spec. I even strained through a paint strainer and there wasn't any debris in it. Big $$$ savings.
Ditto. Saves money both on coolant and on your cooling system and engine.

Poach is offline   Reply With Quote