Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #81
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Northern Spy,
You must be referring to the boat in post #33. No .....I'm sorry. Took the picture in Ketchikan and Mark took his pic at the same place ...different time. We will be in Ketchikan soon and may see her again but she was at the "City Floats" and most or all boats there are transients. I'll take a look.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #82
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
A few conversions from the west coast work boat association. Plus the seiner conversion ( neighbor ) Welcome Spirit, and the Steam driven Tug SS Master. I believe the last shot is a Garden design pleasure boat but not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
conversions and oil slick 022.jpg   IMG_0157.JPG   IMG_0155.JPG   IMG_0162.JPG   IMG_0172.JPG  

IMG_0181.JPG   IMG_0182.JPG   IMG_0198.JPG  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #83
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
SS Master was at Vancouver Expo 86, where I picked up this pen and ink cutaway drawing (sorry for the lousy photo):
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #84
Guru

Is that an anchor davit on the bow?

As the kids say ........... AWSOME DRAWING.

OFB,
All conversions except "Symphony". Looks like all but one are lying on their water lines. Hard to tell but it looks like it. New Rosa looks a bit stern light. I like the bottom one best. But if I was given one of them I'd want Symphony as she probably is the only one that is efficient. Terrible looking aft cabin though.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #85
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
This weekends nicest and least nice boat observed.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0048.jpg   DSC_0046.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #86
Scraping Paint

City: -
The bottom boat is a catamaran, by the way.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
This weekends nicest and least nice boat observed.
Well illustrated for "nice" to observe. However, if you focus on nice to own and operate, I imagine that both owners are satisfied. Of course, if you focus on maintenance cost those boats flip ends of the spectrum.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #88
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Holy smokes. Here's another one of those PNW trawlers that isn't missing much in detail. I don't think I've ever seen a "walk in" tank inspection plate before.

2002 Custom Michael Kasten Steel Commercial Grade Luxury Tug Style Trawler Power
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Holy smokes. Here's another one of those PNW trawlers that isn't missing much in detail.
A lot of interesting details on this one. The pilothouse overhead access into the false stack for safety gear is clever. I also have a hydraulic windlass, and I hadn't seen that arrangement for a backup winch before - I might copy that. Ya gotta love the caption for image 136: "name's welded on....hope you like her name!" And the original owner clearly got a lot of good use from his label maker!

The photos indicate that the filters were changed at 681 hours over 3 years ago - and the listing says 1172 hours, so I'm guessing that the original owner (who clearly suffered from OCD) was replaced by someone with a little less attention to detail.

A very impressive vessel, but $374K for a 10 year old steel boat - even one this nice - seems optimistic.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #90
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Eric, here is our favorite trawler yacht again. Picture taken May 26, 2012 in Ketchikan.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Eric, here is our favorite trawler yacht again.
Er, which one of the three blue-hulled trawler yachts in that photo are you talking about Guessing the one center left, which I can't identify.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #92
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Er, which one of the three blue-hulled trawler yachts in that photo are you talking about Guessing the one center left, which I can't identify.
Yes, just compare it to earlier photos Eric and I posted on this thread.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #93

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Although there are quit a few nice looking trawlers in that picture.

I love the pictures of the trawlers, trawler/tugs that have been restored but I wouldn't want to own one. They would be a real chore to maintain. Of course you have the money to buy one you can afford to have it maintained.

Still
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #94
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by QB View Post
So not a "wholly impractical yacht conversion" after all? And since it would be "woefully unstable" without a load of iced fish, what did they use for ballast?
Impractical to convert to a personal cruiser? Well, looking at the lines, which seem to be quite mild, it could be built in steel. The heavy weight of the structure would go well towards ballasting it down.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #95
Guru

There's actually only three trawlers in Mark's post #50 picture.

He refers to the blue one w the bent stack.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 12-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #96
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Just came across this thread....

Further on Chinook, she was built from a stock Garden design for a 38' troller. Other boats were built to the same plan. Any and all alterations were done by her builder/first owner, Jim Emmett. He reports no changes were made to the deckhouse except inside and the aft trunk just replaces the hatch.

Emmett also reports installing 3.5 tons of ballast(approximately 7000 lbs), of lead ingots buried in pitch. Which is what I would expect.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #97
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Eric & Larry ,
Look at post at Symphony in post # 82 . It looks like he puts that dinghy on top by hand.
Maybe I should forget the crane or davits and start working out so I can get mine on top . I would think that one weighs at least as much as mine .
If ever get out to PNW I don't think I would ever come back .IMHO they have the best looking boats around .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #98
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Back to the boat that appears in post # 33, 35, and 90 of this thread. She is the 1965 William Garden design originally called Kingfisher. As far as I know, only one boat was built to this design, at one time she was called Joey, and now appears as H.R.B.

Built in Michigan and intended for heavy plank-on-frame wood construction, she is actually heavy fiberglass over a thick strip-planked mahogany plug, left in place. The deck and house are more or less traditional plywood construction with glass sheathing. She's 42' LOA, 39'6" LWL, 14'6" beam, 5'3" draft, and displacement is 57,000 lbs with 10,000 of ballast.

Designed around another(same as Chinook) of the excellent JN-130 Cummins with 4:1 reduction turning a 36" by 27" wheel. In the engine room layout you can see the front of the engine tight against the forward engine room bulkhead. This would be a no-fun setup, way too much service goes on at the front of the engine, and working on it while kneeling in the galley would not be pleasant.
Attached Thumbnails
Kingfisher1.jpg   Kingfisher2.jpg  
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #99
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Funny, when I bought my boat I thought it had to be the ugliest boat on the water, then, while on the sea trial, I saw a couple that almost made me gag, so I felt better. I go from hot to cold on my attitude to this boat but I am regularly accosted in anchorages by dinghy-denizens who tell me how much they like it. So, beauty is definitely in the eye of the beer holder. To judge someone else's boat and dismiss it for some failed aesthetic design feature is not the opposite of appreciating a nice design. Many folks either can't afford, find or maintain an aesthetically-pleasing yacht so they make compromises; the proof of the pudding is the experiences that you can have, the fun that's inherent and the pleasure of running 'your' boat.

Ps I would kill for a 65' tug, with a giant impractical engine, a 6' wheel and bulwarks surrounded by aircraft tires! Oh yum!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #100
Guru

Here is a better picture of the boat Mark was referring to "HRB".

On the docks/floats was a better vantage point. We lived nearby then and took the pic while wandering about town.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71060 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA