Old 05-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #41
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

But when I tell people we have a diesel cruising boat or a power cruiser or a diesel cruiser, or just a "cruiser" they know exactly what kind of boat it is.
What I visualize when I think "cruiser."

Leastwise, when I'm drinking light beer.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Battleship ... I like the sound of the word. Although it's difficult to see the resemblance.
Well, they both sit on top of the water and on both of them the pointy end is the front.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #43
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
An ill-fated ship. USS Atlanta (CL-51) was commissioned in December 1941, three weeks after Pearl Harbor, and sunk in the Battle of Guadalcanal, November 1942.

USS Atlanta (CL-51) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #44
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Hey Mark, that what ever one is a Diesel Duck, very seaworthy. Larry
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #45
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Applying the name "trawler" to a recreational boat started as a marketing gimmick to fool potential cabin cruiser buyers into thinking the boats were as rugged, seaworthy, reliable, etc. as a commercial fishing boat.
Er, no - that's not where it started.

In William Garden's book "Yacht Designs", he writes:
"On the West Coast, the "trawler yacht" was originaly called a "toller cruiser", and then a "troller yacht". The West Coast troller is a commercial fishing boat of a size and type that had great appeal to the cruising yachtsman.. During the 1930s Ed Monk was instrumental in popularizing the original troller cruisers of the Northwest, and a skim through old Pacific Motor Boat magazines will show some designs by J.E. Heston, who had a good eye for a boat, and some by other designers and builders. Some troller builders occasionally offered a yacht layout on their stock hulls. On the East Coast, trawler yachts were patterned after sardine carriers and swordfishermen. They are some of the most interest pleasure boats built to date.

Like all themes, a great percentage of the trawler yachts built eventually are bastardized versions of the original types."
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #46
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Here's a good looking "whatever":

A Diesel Duck?
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

"Trollers" and "trawlers"are two totally different animals. But regardless, I think the term "troller yacht" or "trawler yacht" is at least a more accurate representation of the cabin cruisers we call "trawlers" today. But calling our toy boats simply "trawlers" is inaccurate in my opinion, which is why I don't do it.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #48

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Yeah, but........ Trawlers are called trawlers because they use trawl gear for fishing. Applying the name "trawler" to a recreational boat started as a marketing gimmick to fool potential cabin cruiser buyers into thinking the boats were as rugged, seaworthy, reliable, etc. as a commercial fishing boat. Of course, for the most part, they aren't.

The term "trawler" is no more applicable to recreational boats like ours than the term "purse seiner" or "battleship." There are fewer battlships on the planet today than trawlers, so should that term start to be applied to something else? Like your Willard?

When people ask me what kind of boat we have I never tell them it's a trawler. I did on a few occasions when we were new to this kind of boating and the response was always "What's that?" So I'd describe it and more often than not they's say, "Oh, its a pleasure boat."

But when I tell people we have a diesel cruising boat or a power cruiser or a diesel cruiser, or just a "cruiser" they know exactly what kind of boat it is. Most of the time now I tell people who ask that we have a "thirty six foot diesel cruiser." And everyone seems to know what type of boat I mean.

As I've mentioned before, American Marine's own description of their Grand Banks line of boats was "Dependable Diesel Cruisers" and they used that line on all their advertising and marketing materials. Which was smart, because that's exactly what they are.

So to me the kind of boats most of us have on this forum will never be trawlers. Unless, of course, somebody whacks together a set of otter doors, hangs a big-ass net from their boom, and starts dragging it around the bottom on their cruises.

I too equate the Trawler name to the fishing boats. But I believe it is guilt by association. Most Trawling boats have a very specific design that is extremely stable and seaworthy in extreme conditions while towing very heavy gear. That design has been carried over into the recreational boat industry because of its sea worthiness. The name has simple traveled with the boat.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #49
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Looks like a trawler to me.

Besides, this is TRAWLERFORUM.COM. If we can't call them trawlers here, where can we call them trawlers? Maybe the don't-call-it-a-trawler crowd would feel more comfortable discussing their 'Cruisers' at our partner site, Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Some folks call these comfortable shoes I am wearing tennis shoes, athletic shoes or gym shoes, and I'm fine with that even though neither they nor I intend to use them for tennis, athletics or the gym.

I say live and let live.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #51
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Here's a cool trawler I saw.
Eric: By the looks of the background in that photo, there sure are a lot of interesting boats up there. Each one of those is infinitely more interesting than the rows and rows of the same ole white bars of soap here in Miami marinas.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #52
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Yep, Diesel Duck.Larry
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #53
Scraping Paint

Refugio--- The most famous boat built from the plans pictured in your post was named Chinook and for many years it occupied the slip next to ours in Squalicum Marina. I can't attach photos to posts on the iPad but I've posted photos of Chinook here before. It was of my favorite boats in our marina. It was sold a few years ago and the new owners keep it on a private mooring in a nearby bay, so we see it now and again. Chinook was featured in a WoodenBoat article and the previous owner kept a copy of the article taped inside one of the pilothouse windows so dock-walkers could read it--- he was always getting people coming up and asking him about the boat.

Chinook (the boat's original name) was built for a well-known editor of a national boating magazine, and he and his wife used it along the eastern seaboard for years. Not sure why it was eventually sold but it was brought out here, I believe on a train. As built it had a small flying bridge on top of the pilothouse mounted on the removable hatch that provided lift-out access for the engine. But it was pretty rotten so the owner we knew had removed it. He said the boat looked much better without it but he'd intended to reproduce it so the boat would be in its as-built condition. He never got around to it. He told us that Garden had seen Chinook at a wooden boat rendevous out here and had remarked that she was the only one that had been built exactly per his plans and exactly the way he'd intended it to be built even down to the deck hardware. Wonderful boat, and fortunately, it still is.

PS--- The previous owner, nor the current owners, ever called Chinook a "trawler," either.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #54
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark if you do'nt recognize that boat you do'nt know much about your boat.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #55
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Mark if you do'nt recognize that boat you do'nt know much about your boat.
Eric, which boat are you referring to when you say "that boat"?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #56
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The boat designed by the man that designed your boat.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #57
Master and Commander

Oh, you're referring to the now-named Ark berthed on the Napa River near the railroad bridge. It was built in 1991 by Millerick Brothers Coast Marine, California. The Ark was the first diesel duck.

Duck38 study
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #58
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
The most famous boat built from the plans pictured in your post was named Chinook and for many years it occupied the slip next to ours in Squalicum Marina.
So not a "wholly impractical yacht conversion" after all? And since it would be "woefully unstable" without a load of iced fish, what did they use for ballast?
Attached Images

QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #59
Scraping Paint

Chinook is not a fishboat conversion. She was built to Garden's original plans for a recreational cruiser based on his troller design. The owner, the aforementioned editor of the national boating magazine (can't remember the name) built her himself for him and his wife to cruise the eastern seaboard in. So Chinook was built with a stateroom between the engine room and the stand-up shower, head, etc. that is under the raised aft cabin. The galley is in the fairly short forward cabin. Garden's design was intended for two people. The dining table, settee, etc. is in the main cabin/pilothouse which is longer than the pilothouse in Garden's working troller design.

And Garden's troller design itself was not "woefully unstable without a load of iced fish." After all they went out to the fishing grounds empty other than some ice. Many trollers of his and similar designs were based in Puget Sound and made the run up to to their SE Alaska fishing grounds empty. Some of them may have taken on some ballast although I don't know what it would have been, but the fellow I know today who has a 1940s salmon troller in our marina (Donna) and fished it commercially until fairly recently told me he went to Alaksa every season empty other than some extra drums of fuel.

So it's not like these boats had to cruise around with a permanent load of iced fish in the hold for stability. Even if they had, the ice would have melted fairly quickly and then they'd have had a really stinky boat on their hands.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #60
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Language evolves. Pedantry does not. The term "trawler" identifies a particular kind of motor vessel and is probably somewhat elastic. The degree to which individual vessels meet that description varies,either in its individual qualities,or in the eye of the beholder. Forum members regard their vessels as falling within the general description of "trawler",or they would not be attracted to the Forum. How they choose to describe their particular vessel is an individual matter.
Thank you all for posting such great "eye candy" pictures. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote