Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Sailor of Fortune,
How true but there are many that will pay that price and more to be cool, cute or otherwise endearing.
But when these tugs become yachts (most will never "tug" anything again) how can you not call them trawlers? Only if "yacht" is insufficiently described.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Harbor Island was created from the rock ballast that was of loaded from California when the ship come up empty..
Actually that part's not true. I recently wrote a book that included some of Seattle's history. Harbor Island and much of what is now the industrial area south of the Seattle downtown was actually underwater most of the time. Elliot Bay came right up and lapped against the bluff that the elevated I-5 runs along today.

In the late 1800s or early 1900s (I'd have to go back to the book to get the exact date) a proposal was made to connect Lake Washington to Puget Sound. This was prior to the Lake Union Ship Canal, locks, and Montlake Cut. The proposal called for digging a canal through what at the time seemed like the shortest route, from Elliot Bay immediately south of Seattle through the narrow valley that I-90 runs through today to join I-5, and through the ridge between the Rainier Valley and the lake. In essence the same route followed by I-90 today.

Work was started on this cut and it went on for some time until it began to be obvious that this route, while shorter, was way too much effort and would not be cost-effective. But quite a bit of the west end of the canal was dug before they halted the project and the spoils all went into the bay and formed a good part of what today is Harbor Island.

Over the following years other dredging and earthmoving projects like the huge Denny Regrade also resulted in dirt that was added to Harbor Island and the South Seattle industrial area. The Denny Regrade project alone resulted in hundreds if not thousands of barge-loads of what used to be Denny Hill that were towed into the south bay and dumped.

So ships calling at Seattle in ballast undoubtedly contributed to the massive landfill in the south bay, but compared to the huge earthmoving projects like the original Lake Washington-Elliot Bay canal and the Denny Regrade, their contribution would not have been much.

First photo below is the Seattle waterfront in 1881. The hill directly behind the waterfront is Denny Hill and it is where the downtown core of Seattle sits today. Next two shots are the Denny Hill Regrade in progress in the early 1900s. Almost the entire hill was removed using the same kind of hydraulic monitors that were used in mining. House owners who refused to sell their property to the city were simply bypassed and their houses isolated on vertical mounds of earth. Eventually, of course, they sold. Some of the nicer homes were moved but most of them were simply blasted to bits by the monitors.

The dirt and debris from the removal of the hill was carried to the waterfront in railcars or in long sluices where it was dumped into barges like the one in the last photo. The barges were hauled to the south end of Elliot Bay and dumped where the spoils from the earlier Lake Washington canal project had been dumped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denny Hill.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	11231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regrade 1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	11232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regrade 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	11233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regrade 3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	11234  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Eric
I agree they are cool,cute etc and thus are befitting as Character boats. I can appreciate these boats as well as the next guy. In the mid 90's I was captain of a 1914
ex railroad tug called the Saturn that I took from Boston to Orange , Texas and back.
As far as calling them "trawlers", I don't think there is any parallel. A trawler in my mind at least, implies slow, relatively seaworthy and reasonably economical in fuel.

If the tug enthusiast wants a "Tug" to live or play on I applaud them. It is the novice owner who I see that has no Idea what they are in for in a real world. "look honey, it is only $100,000 for that big beautiful tugboat! We can put 5k into it and live happily ever after." Every commercial port has one or two in sad neglect or disrepair that started in high hopes.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Well... there are some tugs with sails...

SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
Well... there are some tugs with sails...

Why not? ... Interesting masts.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #26
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Her is Dorthy Jane a sister ship with sails. The 58 came with a front mast so rigging would not be to difficult. Some trawler mfg are offer sails as optiion.
Attached Images

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #27
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Not sure this qualifies as a trawler, or a tug. Belongs to a friend here. Originally, it was a gig or workboat on a Navy cruiser, and a former owner redid it to its current configuration. My friend's been upgrading the interior, etc to make it a "character" cruising boat. Noisy 2-cycle Detriot diesel, but otherwise, a nice boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00089.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	11276  
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
If the tug photos started a craving, this 85' tug just came on the market for $440K:
1941 MacKenzie Barge & Derrick Glen Class Tug Power Boat For Sale
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
Guru

Despite all this I think when a tug gets converted to a yacht it's a trawler type yacht. It's too different from the common conception of "yacht" and obviously a special kind of yacht and that could only be a trawler.....I think. Unless you could just call it a yacht and leave it at that.

Looks like the Union Jack has an anchor davit like the old yachts that stored their Herrishoff and Danforth anchors on deck had.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Despite all this I think when a tug gets converted to a yacht it's a trawler type yacht. It's too different from the common conception of "yacht" ..
Yes; they look like work(ing)boats, not yachts.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #31
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Not a great picture, but definitley a cool boat. KJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trawler.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	11287  
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #32

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Not a great picture, but definitley a cool boat.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/a...7&d=1336879984
KJ

I think they call those a Norwegian Trawler. Very sea worthy vessels.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #33
Guru

Here's a cool trawler I saw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STH71060.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	11297  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Here's one that's been around here for awhile. Click the link for more pics and specs.

KINTORE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frontKintore1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	11298  
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #35
Master and Commander

Eric, this must be the same boat. Saw/photoed the boat in July 2010 and said "self, it's time to get your own trawler." Ordered the Coot a month later.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Not sure this qualifies as a trawler, or a tug.
Well, it doesn't have an trawl gear on it so it's definitely not a trawler.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #37
Guru

Mark,
Same boat same place different time. I wonder if it's a local boat. I like it's unique layout.

dwhatty,
The boats are very unique and very similar. You see lots of character boats and boaty boats. Not many up here except fishing boats. Our harbor master just bought a troller built in 38. Good old wood boat. I'll get some pics soon.

Marin,
There are so few real trawlers I think they ought to get a different name for them. Kinda like put'in the Indians on the res.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

Marin,
There are so few real trawlers I think they ought to get a different name for them. Kinda like put'in the Indians on the res.
Yeah, but........ Trawlers are called trawlers because they use trawl gear for fishing. Applying the name "trawler" to a recreational boat started as a marketing gimmick to fool potential cabin cruiser buyers into thinking the boats were as rugged, seaworthy, reliable, etc. as a commercial fishing boat. Of course, for the most part, they aren't.

The term "trawler" is no more applicable to recreational boats like ours than the term "purse seiner" or "battleship." There are fewer battlships on the planet today than trawlers, so should that term start to be applied to something else? Like your Willard?

When people ask me what kind of boat we have I never tell them it's a trawler. I did on a few occasions when we were new to this kind of boating and the response was always "What's that?" So I'd describe it and more often than not they's say, "Oh, its a pleasure boat."

But when I tell people we have a diesel cruising boat or a power cruiser or a diesel cruiser, or just a "cruiser" they know exactly what kind of boat it is. Most of the time now I tell people who ask that we have a "thirty six foot diesel cruiser." And everyone seems to know what type of boat I mean.

As I've mentioned before, American Marine's own description of their Grand Banks line of boats was "Dependable Diesel Cruisers" and they used that line on all their advertising and marketing materials. Which was smart, because that's exactly what they are.

So to me the kind of boats most of us have on this forum will never be trawlers. Unless, of course, somebody whacks together a set of otter doors, hangs a big-ass net from their boom, and starts dragging it around the bottom on their cruises.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #39
Master and Commander

Battleship ... I like the sound of the word.

Although it's difficult to see the resemblance.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #40
Master and Commander

Here's a good looking "whatever":