Old 07-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #1

City: Surrey BC
Vessel Name: Windrush IV
Vessel Model: CHB 34
A great chuckle.

Due to health reasons I have put my boat up for sale. Before I listed it I had a private ad on Craig's List just to test the response level. So one nice Sunday a few weeks ago I get a call from a prospective buyer, or so I thought. We talked for awhile and went over the usual, equipment, maintenance, new gear added and things like where the boat had cruised to. All the usual stuff. So we get to the point of setting a look see for the boat and he gets very serious. He says he has one question that is really important. So I am thinking, oh yeah he wants me to finance it for him or take a trade. All those things that come up and screw any chance of a good sale. So in a very serious, low pitched voice he asks me, does the boat need any work? Now this a 41 year old CHB Trawler. So I ask what kind of work does he mean? So he says to me, very serious indeed this time, I want a boat that I don't have to do anything on for 3 or 4 years. Still confused I asked him what he meant by "any work". So he tells me he wants something that he has to do absolutely nothing to. No painting, wiring, electronics, plumbing or engine work. By this time I am almost on the floor laughing when he finishes with the best line I have ever heard. He wanted me to be available to come and help him, with anything at any time, for the 1st 2 years after he buys the boat. At this point the tears are rolling down my cheeks and I had to tell him I would call him back with my answer. I am not sure if he is sitting by the phone.
C.O.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Maybe tell him maintenance does not start until the boat is 50 years old... It takes all kinds to make up the world.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Woodcliff Lake
Vessel Name: SE Drifter
Vessel Model: Sisu 30
Listen, if he needs financing, I know a well respected Nigerian bank that will help him out!
steelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
After buying a few boats...sounds like the smartest clause on could put in a purchase agreement.

I "have been available" to owners of my boats and they have all said it was worth it's weight in gold.

How many here have complained they had no clue about much of their boats because of its 'heritage" of POs. And all their lies......
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Some people have zero clue about what they are getting into. Their most important thing is “the good deal”. I had a guy come up to me during one of our yard sales, point to my 13’ Boston Whaler with a brand new 40 hp four stroke Yamaha Remote with T&T and trailer and tell me in a quiet “do me a favor voice “ “I can go $300 on the boat “.
Ahhhh, no.������
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
We were all virgins once.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #7

City: Surrey BC
Vessel Name: Windrush IV
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Nice, let me know when you want the $300.
C.O.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:29 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O.S.T. View Post
Nice, let me know when you want the $300.
$5 per month plan.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote