cooking on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this thing. It uses a small fan to turn a couple of chunks of wood into a blow torch. It can get up to 1000 degrees yet it’s base is totally cool. It plugs in to 110 or has a battery pack.

I keep it in a Cabinet in the flybridge. 30 minutes after I’m done cooking it’s cool enough to put away.

I wanted a charcoal grill for the boat, this is the safest and best way for the boat.

Thanks. Never heard of this before. Good match, I have lots of hickory trees.

When I was a kid and had an I/O and fished Key West we took water and canned beans and Vienna sausages, put a can of each on the block while running and had warm food when got to anchor. Wasn’t so bad, slept on the deck of the open fisherman, got wet from the dew but is also served as a bath. Some hot sauce was an important ingredient.

Frankly, I don't want to depend on the generator or batteries to cook so we use a propane stone/oven and a propane BBQ. We have always cooked and baked aboard, so a good oven is a must. We have an induction cooker but never use it. We seldom use the microwave to cook, only to quickly reheat. Both the MW and induction require a lot of current so either it draws the batteries down or you start the gen. I'd like to move away from being dependant on the gen.

Frankly, I don't want to depend on the generator or batteries to cook so we use a propane stone/oven and a propane BBQ. We have always cooked and baked aboard, so a good oven is a must. We have an induction cooker but never use it. We seldom use the microwave to cook, only to quickly reheat. Both the MW and induction require a lot of current so either it draws the batteries down or you start the gen. I'd like to move away from being dependant on the gen.

How come? Besides, gensets are one of those "use it or lose it" items, need to be run and loaded on a regular basis. That includes land based backup generators too, but the marine environment especially in salt water, just adds to the issues. Propane brings its own issues, safety wise, as well the hassle of refilling.

How come? Besides, gensets are one of those "use it or lose it" items, need to be run and loaded on a regular basis. That includes land based backup generators too, but the marine environment especially in salt water, just adds to the issues. Propane brings its own issues, safety wise, as well the hassle of refilling.

All fuel needs refilling. Generators are noisy, & certainly rude in a shared anchorage. Propane can be used without problem as long as safely handled/maintained. I used it for years living aboard & found it great for cooking. Looking for next boat on the East Coast now, & am amazed that most boats (& homes) here have electric stoves. If our boat purchase includes an electric stove I'll sell it cheap & add propane. I don't like electric in my house, either; waiting on delivery later this month of a brand new gas range.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom