cooking on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The previous owner installed a substantial battery bank so for our upcoming cruise, we are going to try cooking on an electric skillet, grill on the Magma, and every now and then use the microwave...all in the effort not to run the generator(s) while on the hook. Of course we will run the generator when needing to recharge the batteries.

When boat shopping the boss said she would only approve candidates with a "house" type galley. She got her wish and has full size appliances - fridge, oven, dishwasher, microwave, range. Very similar to Menzies' galley.

Last edited:
So I notice a number of you have a dishwasher yet you don't list it as a cooking devise, watch this video: [I don't have a dishwasher on the boat]

cooking using a dishwasher - Google Search

And this:

And of course, Myth Busters gets into it:

Last edited:
I'll see your fridge freezer and dishwasher and raise you a compactor. :D

Attachments

• P1000077.JPG
    P1000077.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 29
  • P1000102.JPG
    P1000102.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 32
Wifey B: Oh, the must must must must must have. I want one. I want it now. I really want this. An LG SnowWhite. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Wifey B: Oh, the must must must must must have. I want one. I want it now. I really want this. An LG SnowWhite. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Now there's an idea!

Only thing is, I always lose weight when I go on the boat for a period. Don't seem to eat or drink any less, but I do lose weight. 7 pounds on this year's trip.

With an ice cream maker..... no chance!

Don't know wattage it'd consume to make a batch, but we LOVE our Whynter IC2L ice cream maker. Goes from prepped ingredients to about half-way between soft-serve and frozen. An hour or two more in the freezer and it's perfect.

But then the way my wife makes it would cost $30/gallon, what with all the cream, eggs and real vanilla beans.

So we settle for being the boat that always has the Otter pops and ice cream sandwiches, thanks to the Alder-Barbour freezer chest in the galley.

Attachments

• whynter ice cream maker.jpg
    whynter ice cream maker.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 27

Had a Lab, he decided he could take a leak on an electric fence..... I kept telling him NO NO NO. He didn't listen.... Well, if anything positive happened, he learned the word NO.

Anyone have experience with a Foodie Pressure Cooker. Seems very versatile?

I'll see your fridge freezer and dishwasher and raise you a compactor. :D

So let's add two wine coolers and a Scotsman ice maker in addition to the one in the Sub Zero.

I keep telling you guys a Whaler 130 holds more than a RIB of the same length... just about the same as a Hatteras 56MY...

So let's add two wine coolers and a Scotsman ice maker in addition to the one in the Sub Zero.

I keep telling you guys a Whaler 130 holds more than a RIB of the same length... just about the same as a Hatteras 56MY...

Show us the washer and dryer in that Whaler! :)

I have a 2 burner force 10 propane stove/oven for when I am on the hook. When on shore power I have an induction plate and convection oven. And a barbecue for all seasons. And of course, the most valuable asset - the toaster.

My wife and I (mainly my wife, I do the seafood) manage to cook up gourmet meals on the boat without any gadgetry. Just a 2-burner alcohol stove, a a portable single burner butane stove. No oven, no microwave, no electric appliances. A big cast iron skillet, a a few pots and a big stainless steel bucket for cooking crabs. (It also doubles as a bailing bucket if we tie a lanyard onto it)

Coffee is made with a French press. Toast is made over the alcohol stove.

Nice food doesn't require much equipment; just quality fresh ingredients and a bit of skill and imagination.

Anyone have experience with a Foodie Pressure Cooker. Seems very versatile?

Yes. see my post #9. It has been excellent. Using it now for about 6 months. Our boat doesn't have an oven so this has greatly increased the range of foods we can make on the boat. From Tofu dishes and grains to mushroom puff pastries all the way to the most tender briskets. We have the tender crisp model. It does take up counter space when in use, but worth it!

https://direct.ninjakitchen.com/16/products/ninja-foodi-pressure-cooker-op302/14/microsite/ogxxiii/

Todd

Instant Pot

Yesterday I tried the Instant Pot Pls Mini, I think it’s gonna be a good boat Appliance.
Boneless Chicken thighs, 2 or 3 minutes warm up, 6 minutes cooking and 10 minutes cool down and was a little too cooked. Very little heat on the outside of appliance (I’m in Florida don’t need extra heat) <10 minutes of total electric use.

Other cooking appliances menus from Dockside Tiki bars, magma BBQ, propane stove top and oven (great to heat cabin when it’s cold), microwave, toaster, portable butane burner, can cook outside, great for smelly fried foods and a soon to be retired crockpot.

I learned early in life that great meals can be prepared out of a backpack and made over an open fire.

adapt, improvise, overcome.

Yesterday I tried the Instant Pot Pls Mini, I think it’s gonna be a good boat Appliance.
Boneless Chicken thighs, 2 or 3 minutes warm up, 6 minutes cooking and 10 minutes cool down and was a little too cooked. Very little heat on the outside of appliance (I’m in Florida don’t need extra heat) <10 minutes of total electric use.

Other cooking appliances menus from Dockside Tiki bars, magma BBQ, propane stove top and oven (great to heat cabin when it’s cold), microwave, toaster, portable butane burner, can cook outside, great for smelly fried foods and a soon to be retired crockpot.

Can you make pies and cookies ?

....adapt, improvise, overcome.
Those three words have been the corner stones of my life. Lost my dad when I was 7, my mother when I was 14, and much, much more. My most recent use of those 3 words were when I broke my shoulder in a bad fall when investigating an old gold mine about a year and a half ago. I had Titanium parts inplanted and couldn't reach above my waist with the bad arm to climb the ladder to my fly bridge. Professional Physical therapy wasn't working so I concocted my own program of exercise to strengthen the affected arm. By using a cane that I hooked my leg onto & pulled with the bad arm & about 4 stretching exercises while sitting, it took about a month before I climbed up to the fly bridge. Also by using a "grabber" I could reach out my car window to take a ticket from the meter when visiting the doctor's office and the marina. Yep, "adapt, improvise & overcome" are three of the most important words you can learn to overcome most of life's hurdles.

Last edited:
I've seen pix of the washer/dryer setup (often the single unit kind) in the engine room. I mean, I guess, if that's where you've got space and you really need/want to do laundry aboard...

Brand name of M/W convection oven

. . . a powerful microwave convection oven that we love

What brand is your powerful m/w convection oven? And if you know them, what are the outer dimensions?
Trying to replace my plain ole tiny m/w with one that does toasting, baking . . .

Thanks,
MaryAnn

Wifey B: No cooking taking place at our home right now or in Fort Lauderdale. Fortunately, I'm not home, but the city is without water. Some of our staff has pulled one of our boats to out house for rest rooms and any water needed. :)

I learned early in life that great meals can be prepared out of a backpack and made over an open fire.
adapt, improvise, overcome.

Most of the time on archaeological sites years ago I lived in my old station wagon & cooked in things that plugged into my 12v cigarette lighter plug. Thought it was luxurious to have hot food & not have to deal with scorpions in my boots like some of my colleagues.

of course if they ever found out you put the scorpions in their boots*********

I love this thing. It uses a small fan to turn a couple of chunks of wood into a blow torch. It can get up to 1000 degrees yet it’s base is totally cool. It plugs in to 110 or has a battery pack.

I keep it in a Cabinet in the flybridge. 30 minutes after I’m done cooking it’s cool enough to put away.

I wanted a charcoal grill for the boat, this is the safest and best way for the boat.

Attachments

• 79360139-7831-441D-A4F7-2A5B1AAB2BEC.jpg
    79360139-7831-441D-A4F7-2A5B1AAB2BEC.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 41
There's a whole passel of recipes for cooking on a warm engine, as a simple web search will demonstrate, including a bunch of You Tube videos. I knew a sailor long time ago that got quite good at it, saved on propane if the day was spent motoring (as it very often is on sailboats).

Back
Top Bottom