cooking on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the George Forman grill,
58060765768__76DF489E-6A7C-4298-BFE6-CCB08D0DA5D9.jpg58060766940__0827CC5E-3E30-42FF-856E-85DC71F3F337.jpg

I did slow cook the ribs about 6 hours before I tossed them on the grill

Similar to Seawood, we have a simple dual propane burner. We never cook inside outside boiling water with an electric kettle. I have never slept longer than three days on our boat, so we are fine sticking with simple meals--no lobster, steak, and wine.

We use a pressure cooker quite extensively. They are fuel and water efficient, if the pot should launch off of the stove (rare but it happens) the mess is contained. You can use the pot without the top as a skillet and the food is good.
We also grill a lot when the weather permits.

We use a propane stovetop/oven, a small Instapot (The smallest one) a microwave and a two travel mug coffee maker. If we want to be civilized or serve guests we have a 12 cup poor over pot in the locker. On the boat deck we have a two burner propane grill that gets a workout. This year we added an electric smoker (Char-broil) for the dock (Electric grills are permitted on our dock) (this is actually the 2nd one we own - we purchased one on Black Friday last year and the admiral has fallen in love with it, giving the instapot some competition.)

We need to re-work our propane locker to get it up to current standards and are trying to decide the best way to do this or to just go with a combo convection/microwave and an induction cook top.

Four ring electric cook top, convection oven/microwave, toaster oven. Magma grill on boat deck. Crock pot for pre-prep on long run days.

Attachments

• P1000079.JPG
    P1000079.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 72
Four ring electric cook top, convection oven/microwave, toaster oven. Magma grill on boat deck. Crock pot for pre-prep on long run days.
Now that's just plain showing off. :p

I admit to bias, it that’s because I’ve had bad experience with electric cooktops, too hot, on off, plus need generator running to use. No experience with induction, which sounds better.
We have on the Endeavour a force 10 propane cooktop and oven, plus an electric microwave for heating/ vegetables, etc, which the inverter can run. Also have a propane grill on back deck for BBQ. I have found propane to be reliable over the years

We have the usual stove/oven below and then grill topsides. We intentionally did not install a microwave, but I've found that if you strap the hot dog to the radar antenna you can cook it! Instead of rare/medium/well you set your radar to the appropriate distance--viola: "radar range"

Last edited:
Down below a propane Force 10 cooktop/oven and a built-in Miele electric grill out on the cockpit.

The Miele requires AC (shore power or genset). It does a great job grilling with nearly zero flare-ups or splatter. Grill sheets (the 'as seen on tv' kind) work quite well for stuff like marinated veggies. Keeps the sauce from being burnt off and dripping into the grill.

A previous owner removed the in-cabinet microwave, so I picked up a dorm room-sized unit that just barely fits under the aft cabinets in the galley.

I had a Tappan convection/microwave onboard. The convection function is dead and as far as I can determine their are no parts available. I would like to replace the whole thing. Does anyone have any brand suggestions?

I had a Tappan convection/microwave onboard. The convection function is dead and as far as I can determine their are no parts available. I would like to replace the whole thing. Does anyone have any brand suggestions?

It would depend on the dimensions and how the existing one is installed. It's hard to decide what's best, finding the impossible that fits the existing dimensions or having work done to adapt that for what's readily available. This might be worth asking on a separate thread.

No generator here so Propane grill out back and a one burner Coleman Butane cooker inside. My OEM Electric/alchohol has not seen much use since we got the small camp stove. Compact, fast, and hot heat, stores away in it's own little case when not in use...

Though we try......

Attachments

• Chicken dinner.jpg
    Chicken dinner.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 42
I thought you could use any steel, SS, or iron cookware on those.

The pot must be ferromagnetic. If a magnet will stick to the bottom, it will work, if not - it won't. Stainless steel will not work.

The pot must be ferromagnetic. If a magnet will stick to the bottom, it will work, if not - it won't. Stainless steel will not work.

Seemed like recently, many stainless sets I found while shopping had a ferrous disk buried in the base so they work, yet remain stainless.

But you do have to check if it's important to you.

Yeah, I think Magma sells a nesting set that's OK for induction... different from the original stainless sets, somehow (ferrous disk sounds possible).

-Chris

Thanks. Since you mentioned it, I believe I have seen that posted somewhere else before.

Seemed like recently, many stainless sets I found while shopping had a ferrous disk buried in the base so they work, yet remain stainless.

But you do have to check if it's important to you.

I'll have to keep a magnet in my pocket when I start shopping for cookware. I wonder if having a magnet in my pocket would also help my.....never mind. :lol:

I'll have to keep a magnet in my pocket when I start shopping for cookware. I wonder if having a magnet in my pocket would also help my.....never mind. :lol:

My dog once broke through the electric fence. He was afraid to come back across. So I took off his electric collar and without thinking shoved in my pocket. Walked him back across the fence----:nonono:

My dog once broke through the electric fence. He was afraid to come back across. So I took off his electric collar and without thinking shoved in my pocket. Walked him back across the fence----:nonono:

I watched my cousin do something similar. He had the collar between him and the dog right above the belt line. :lol:

We strive to keep it simple so we have a single burner Origo/Dometic alcohol stove which is portable. We also use a microwave and a stern-rail mounted Magma grill. Also a 4 pot coffemaker. That is all we need so far.

Some people eat out every night....some prepare gourmet meals in the middle of no place. To Each their own.

Setting up a galley should meet one's dietary needs..... and even then different methods cook the same foods.

Better to come up with a meal plan and decide how you want to cook it, then obtain the necessary gear to cook and run the cookware than go by what other think or have.

Ouch

Your kitchen helps seems nice. :D

Back
Top Bottom