Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Cooking Aboard

There was another thread that mutated into cooking, so I thought I'd start one dedicated to Cooking Aboard.

I don't. My philosophy is package to mouth. The microwave can be a side-trip, otherwise NO COOKING. But hey, if YOU want to cook (for yourself or all of us) fine, just don't expect me to get involved in the preparation, cooking or dishes.

In fact, I have been using a no-wash flatware system to aid my package to mouth simplicity. If you wanna wash 'silverware' fine - don't do mine and don't expect me to do yours. Just put mine back in the 'one hole' position.

There's plenty of stuff out there that doesn't need heat, and even some of that stuff that has cooking instructions - really doesn't need to be cooked.

My son-in-law loves to provision/cook and I totally enjoy having him and his culinary delites on boat outings, but I'm still not inspired to do it myself.

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #2

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII

Meal, Ready-to-Eat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not on my boat 25% of my boating enjoyment is cooking and drinking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	463008_3612499365403_1661361135_2888147_1852946431_o.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	18591   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1157.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	18592  

Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #3

City: WA
Quote:
Not on my boat 25% of my boating enjoyment is cooking and drinking
I'm with you. Food and drink are a major part of the fun of boating.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Gotta go with the cooking and drinking theme.
Fresh fish, crabs etc in all forms. You name it we cook it, eating is one of the fine aspects of life on board, also it would be pretty hard not to cook when you live on board.
I would hate to loose my rep as having the best stocked beer frig on the east coast (Aus), along with a pretty fine wine cellar (lazzerette).

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I do things a little differently on my boats.....

Tenderloin pieces.....

Shrimp on the barby...

Cooking breakfast on the grill on my old boat
Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
I am somewhat with Jeff. I absolutely despise cooking. I can think of nothing more boring or pointless than being in a kitchen cooking food. Opening a can and dumping the contents in a pan is as far as I will go and even that is done under protest.

I like eating good food and fortunately my wife is a real good chef.

Ironically, until I got married I cooked for myself once I'd left home and I was actually quite good at it. But once I got married that was it, and I never intend to cook anything other than the aforementioned can contents for the rest of my life.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've been cooking for myself, relatives, and friends for almost 45 years since graduating from college. Don't like doing dishes, but have eschewed the dishwasher even though my land home is so equipped. A waste of water and energy in my view, and a huge waste of space in a thirty-something-foot boat.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I enjoy cooking and believe that a well stocked fridge is a happy fridge. (Food AND drink) I don't have the room, appliances or cookware on the water like we have at home so I can't cook as well on the boat as I can at home, but I still enjoy grilling.

Often, I'll prepare or pre-cook meals for the boat to cut down on work in the galley, then reheat onboard. Grill foods and simple side dishes are the exceptions.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Al, please grill our ribeye medium-rare tomorrow. The home-made potato salad is chilling in the 'frig presently.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Cooking is as much an art as a necessity.Not for everyone.

We cook at home , and cook about the same on board.

4 burner SS gymboled gas range with oven and broiler , good fiddles and pot holders.

Propane fridge and freezer , supplies are no big deal. .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I am somewhat with Jeff. I absolutely despise cooking. I can think of nothing more boring or pointless than being in a kitchen cooking food. Opening a can and dumping the contents in a pan is as far as I will go and even that is done under protest.

I like eating good food and fortunately my wife is a real good chef.

Ironically, until I got married I cooked for myself once I'd left home and I was actually quite good at it. But once I got married that was it, and I never intend to cook anything other than the aforementioned can contents for the rest of my life.
My position exactly.

When the wife is away, its a Lean Cuisine in the microwave and choke it down. Fast and no dishes. Even that is a pain.

The wife cooks great meals, but she uses three pots when one would do and I get to do the dishes.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
.The wife cooks great meals, but she uses three pots when one would do and I get to do the dishes.
David, I'm sure that your wife would really appreciate your pointing out those inefficiencies for her.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Cooking is not only an art is also the only way that we have to choose clearly what to eat. We are what we eat.
Please do not try to convince me that package food is healthy. Microwave oven heated or cooked food is totally molecularly disturbed and chemically unbalanced.
Putting quantities in perspective, no package beats a ribeye with homemade potato salad or anything else made fresh without preservatives and additives to make that look good to the eyes of the client.

One think you often see in a kitchen full of busy people, cooking for the family, is love, laughter, happiness good humor, and all those good things that we cannot buy packed or not, anywhere

This is just my opinion.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
David, I'm sure that your wife would really appreciate your pointing out those inefficiencies for her.
You beat me to it again, Don! I was thinking the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave & Emily Sailing.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	18607  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Cooking is not only an art is also the only way that we have to choose clearly what to eat. We are what we eat.
Please do not try to convince me that package food is healthy. Microwave oven heated or cooked food is totally molecularly disturbed and chemically unbalanced.
Putting quantities in perspective, no package beats a ribeye with homemade potato salad or anything else made fresh without preservatives and additives to make that look good to the eyes of the client.

One think you often see in a kitchen full of busy people, cooking for the family, is love, laughter, happiness good humor, and all those good things that we cannot buy packed or not, anywhere

This is just my opinion.
I'm with you on that Portuguese!
At meal time our family is almost always together. It takes some effort with teenagers, but well worthwhile. No TV, just love & laughter.

Good healthy food made from fresh ingredients takes only a little extra effort but makes so much difference. A fresh grilled fish, homemade soup, and garden salad, - all so easy to prepare. How can a processed meal in a package with a dozen unpronouncable ingredients be better than that.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post

This is just my opinion.
Well stated!

We live on board, so cooking onboard is a part of everyday life. A typical meal onboard might be grilled steak, arugula salad, potatoes or rice, and a decent wine; another night would be pan seared fish, noodles, and some vegetable.

Yup, it's a bit of work, but worth every moment of prep and enjoyment.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Some of the reasons I love boating is the shared meals on the dock, sandbars or raft-ups. I enjoy cooking breakfast & dinner whether its just me or a boatload. I'am not thrilled doing the dishes but its easiest doing them after a meal & not letting them pile up. My daughter kinda takes over the galley when they're onboard, I then have problems finding stuff that she puts away in a different place than I keep it but I'll never complain or even worry about it.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
You guys bring up some great points and it reminds me of the priority we placed on mealtime in our family's lives. Every day we'd sit down for a family meal at 6PM (ish) without TV, radio, computers or music. Just 4 family members sharing the day's thoughts or news. The preparation of the meal was often the same, but just with Meg and me. There's just no substitute for raising kids in a stable family environment and family dinners was the anchor for us.

Tonight (and probably numerous times this weekend at the Asparagus Festival) we're blessed to be able to share that time with some of our favorite TF friends on the CA Delta. Life is good!!

PS. I'll try to get some good pics of the food fight.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Typically meal time is a family affair at home. Everything from planning and preparation to cooking and cleaning is a shared activity. No tv, radio or phone calls just family time. All fresh made with minimal use of pre packaged food stuffs.

Thus far the boat has been used as a picnic cruiser but over time cooking aboard will resemble home. Boating and all our other recreational activities mirror quite closely our approach to meal times.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #20
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
We try to keep it simple, and do as much on the grill as we can. I leaned early on that fish and vegetables with a little wine and butter cooked in foil are both easy and delicious. Potatoes cooked the same way with butter and onions go with about anything. Corn cooked in the shuck is great on the grill. Soups and sandwiches are easy. We eat pretty well on Moonstruck.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote