Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
I enjoy cooking, but with long work hours, not as much as in the past - at least when at home. On the boat is another story, since we have more time on our hands. I can't imagine a day on the water without firing up the grill at least once (preferably two or three times). Also, having a condo in the city, we can't grill at home, so the boat is my only outlet. To make it easy, we buy large packages of meat when it is on sale, put it in freezer bags with whatever marinade, rub we want. Then pull the bags out of the freezer on Fri night when we leave for the boat. By Sat having sat in the fridge on the boat, everything is thawed and ready for the grill. Going on seven years with our Dickenson SeaBQ, and she is still going strong (and still on the original burner). The grill was the first accessory we bought for the sailboat, and it now resides on the Tug (first item we moved over to the new boat).
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Don
It's amazing how any fish cooked that way tastes so good. Put that butter & wine to work and if you can, add a leaf or two of dill, and you'll have a gourmet dish inside of a foil pocket in the grill. It is quick, healthy and if other people don't see the foil, they will guess forever how in the world did you do it.

Portuguese
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Don
It's amazing how any fish cooked that way tastes so good. Put that butter & wine to work and if you can, add a leaf or two of dill, and you'll have a gourmet dish inside of a foil pocket in the grill. It is quick, healthy and if other people don't see the foil, they will guess forever how in the world did you do it.

Portuguese
Thanks for the reminder. Should have mentioned the herbs, lemon and seasonings. Can't cook without those. I put thinly sliced lemon slices over the fish. When you cook the corn in the husk, then cut all the way through at the stalk end. Grab tightly at the silk end and shake the cob out. It should come out clean and cooked.

Oysters and clams steam well on the grill. In season Florida lobster does well grilled.

This is making me hungry.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
It is so interesting to read different perspectives! Our meals aboard are not much different than on land. We have pretty much all the accoutrements on the boat that we have on land. Breakfast might be muffins or biscuits in the convection / microwave or bacon and eggs on the range. Or maybe just cereal or yogurt. We've been known to make waffles on board. lunch is usually uncooked, though we nuked bacon for BLTs last Sunday. Dinner is often something we can grill. We are in the process of updating our galley now, hope to be done next week and it will be even more just like home when we are done.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
David, I'm sure that your wife would really appreciate your pointing out those inefficiencies for her.
Luckily for me Don & Walt, she does not frequent this forum. If she did, the dog and I might be eating out of the same bowl.

I feed the dog, but she feeds me.
Attached Thumbnails
frank-cotham-thank-goodness-you-re-here-his-dish-is-empty-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
luckily for me don & walt, she does not frequent this forum. If she did, the dog and i might be eating out of the same bowl.

I feed the dog, but she feeds me.
lol!! :d

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #27
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Portuguese understands it. I do wonder if the fast food empire would have developed anywhere outside Anglo Saxon cultures.( well it's Friday night, I'm on the boat marinating some beef and interesting stuff, with a hit of chilli's and corriander, not to mention the limes, with the zest and of course garlic... with a nice bottle of ...sorry I digress, and probably put Marin to sleep)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #28
FF
Guru

"The wife cooks great meals, but she uses three pots when one would do and I get to do the dishes."

That works , if the cook is extravagant in the food prep, its fine.

Good food is a good life!

Whoever cooks does NOT do the clean up when underway.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl
Vessel Name: Jenny
Vessel Model: Bristol Trawler
I cook to eat and drink! No micro for me and I LOVE iron ware.

Having said that I need to know if anyone uses an induction cook top. My propane tanks seem too cumbersome and dangerous. Induction seems a perfect solution.
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #30

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
We cook for our travel (up to 7 weeks) at home and freeze it on.
On board we only cook potatoes or rice or other side dishes.
So we have great quality on board and leave the work at home.
Of course we use our grill and cook fresh fish on board.
We have three big freezer and a refrigerator on board.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
..sorry I digress, and probably put Marin to sleep)
No problem. When my wife and our friends start talking food and recipes I just start thinking about something else. Maybe what I need to do next in the two books I'm currently working on or even more interesting than that, what the slugs in the yard might be doing for entertainment at the moment.

Don't know if you have slugs down your way, Andy. They are in essence snails without shells. Fascinating creatures with a great sense of humor and very inventive minds. Last year they built a perpetual motion machine under the rhododendron in our back yard. For almost a week it provided power to the irrigation system they'd built to make their favorite plants grow faster. When I realized what it was and how it worked I went to get my camera to take photos so I could reproduce the thing and make millions but while I was in the house my wife threw a stick for our dog to fetch and he ran right through the machine and scattered its parts all over the place. I'm hoping they'll build another one this summer.

Oh good, I see you've stopped writing about cooking. Silly, outmoded topic. Just pick up the phone, dial a number, say what you want to eat, they bring it, you eat it, end of story. I think the single greatest achievement worldwide in the 20th century is the total elimination of the need to waste time cooking food and the even more idiotic activity, cleaning up afterwards. And then, of course, the truly staggering stupid human trick--- you do it all over again just a few hours later.

Anything you want from burgers to pizza to veal cutlet cordon bleu you can get by dialing a phone or driving up to a window. If there was an equally quick, easy, efficient, and cheap way of doing the same thing out on a boat life would be perfect.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Marin after reading that it sounds like a logical option, I've only been logical where mechanical things are involved is my problem. And using the generator while cooking is good exercise for it and that is logical;-)
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #33
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I love to cook onboard using our round Magma Grill the usual BBQ also curry, stir fry, and paella for special occasions. Marsha likes to cook too but using the stove or crock pot sloe cooker
Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Marin after reading that it sounds like a logical option, I've only been logical where mechanical things are involved is my problem. And using the generator while cooking is good exercise for it and that is logical;-)

We use our generator regularly, too. To charge batteries, heat water, operate power tools we might use while aboard (heat gun, drill, etc.) and so on. But we don't use it to cook. That would be a total waste of diesel fuel and completely unnecessary and unwarranted wear on its raw water impeller.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #35
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Marin-my biggest problem is that our favorite Chinese restaurant, The Snappy Dragon, does not deliver beyond the end of the dock.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Marin-my biggest problem is that our favorite Chinese restaurant, The Snappy Dragon, does not deliver beyond the end of the dock.
That's why God created dinghies. Or maybe it was Noah when he got tired of the rubbish Mrs. Noah was cooking up on the Ark which even though it was crap food still had to be cleaned up after, a waste of time second only to the act of making the food in the first place.

Maybe he thought, "If I made a little bitty Ark-- I could call it the Arkette--- I could teach the two chimps to row and send them over to that Greek place on the hill to the west for some take-out gyros."
Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That's why God created dinghies. Or maybe it was Noah when he got tired of the rubbish Mrs. Noah was cooking up on the Ark which even though it was crap food still had to be cleaned up after, a waste of time second only to the act of making the food in the first place.
There is really no telling how many more species of animals we would have if Noah hadn't cooked and eaten the best of them.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
There is really no telling how many more species of animals we would have if Noah hadn't cooked and eaten the best of them.
Maybe the Noah crowd were all vegans. Which would explain a lot, perhaps, like their "back to the earth" hippy commune attitude. Why else would they have pissed about sawing and adzing out timbers and planks and screwing around with trying to figure out how much a cubit was when they could have done the whole damn thing with one phone call and fifteen or twenty 40' air conditioned containers.?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
The wife cooks great meals, but she uses three pots when one would do and I get to do the dishes.
I seem to have the same problem, the more utensils we have on board, the more she uses.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
I seem to have the same problem, the more utensils we have on board, the more she uses.

Bob
I'm starting to feel really sorry for you guys.