Old 09-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Cruising off San Diego often results in conversations with U.S. Naval vessels. I usually call them first, state my intentions and ask for confirmation. It's worked well in the past but I'm interested in how it works from now on since i just added AIS.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #22

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
So my question.
=>What would others have done?
=>Would you contact them on 16? I avoid 16 because we all know it’s for emergencies, and I don’t want to bother a carrier unless its important.
=>If you would contact them, would you use another channel, say 10?
The questions above aren't quite inline with your credentials.

1) The Naval Protection Zones are:

100 yards no operation
500 yards at minimum (headway) speeds.

At 3 miles I would have done nothing until they hailed me.

2) As per published guidelines, contact with the USN is on VHF channel 16

3) channel 10 is not a hailing port.

4) Channel 16 is for both initial hailing AND emergencies. Hail and move to working channel. USCG is trying to move people to channel 9 for hailing, but 16 is still common and accepted.

Responses are based on the information provided. Since you're familiar with forums, then we assume you have a thicker skin than the average citizen and understand this is how they work. You get the responses based on what you paid for them and we're all allowed to chime in when and how we want.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Cruising off San Diego often results in conversations with U.S. Naval vessels. I usually call them first, state my intentions and ask for confirmation. It's worked well in the past but I'm interested in how it works from now on since i just added AIS.
I would think it would be no different, if not easier.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Ventura CA
Vessel Name: Proud Mary
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler
A few years ago we were sailing down the Santa Barbara channel in our classic wooden schooner. It was a bright, clear Monday morning with no other boats in sight. A polite, clear, well-modulated voice came over channel 16 from a radio that was of obvious high quality, “Sailing vessel north of San Pedro Point, this is warship 63. We are changing course 10 degrees to starboard and will pass you on our port side.” We looked out and there was the battleship Missouri about a half mile away going perhaps 20 knots. It was one of the most magnificent sights I have ever seen on the water.
Paul Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #25
Guru

We were crossing from Bimini towards the Berry Islands when we heard on the VHF from US Navy warship conducting live fire exercises.
"Keep 3 NM away"!!!
Problem was they kept getting closer and we were only doing 7kts!! Then the radio operator seemed to have mind f..t. According to their radio transmissions they should have been doing circles around us, but they sure as hell weer not there!! Perhaps a new stealth vessel or they just mixed up Port and Starboard, who knows??
Eventually they left the area (much) faster than us and we proceeded on to anchor peacefully in the Berrys.
Chrisjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #26

City: Marietta
Vessel Name: True Love
Vessel Model: Leopard 37 PC
Contacting War Ships via VHF for Communication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Swanson View Post
A few years ago we were sailing down the Santa Barbara channel in our classic wooden schooner. It was a bright, clear Monday morning with no other boats in sight. A polite, clear, well-modulated voice came over channel 16 from a radio that was of obvious high quality, “Sailing vessel north of San Pedro Point, this is warship 63. We are changing course 10 degrees to starboard and will pass you on our port side.” We looked out and there was the battleship Missouri about a half mile away going perhaps 20 knots. It was one of the most magnificent sights I have ever seen on the water.

Nice!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Swanson View Post
We had the massive Missouri anchor in Sydney harbour some years ago, for our navy celebrations. A magnificent sight indeed.
A newspaper published a photo of Missouri firing her guns off the coast, the entire side of the vessel appeared engulfed in flames. The shells were reported to be the size of a Volkswagen Beetle.
Wasn`t Missouri a battleship put back into service by Reagan, for reasons of national pride?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #28
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
The company I work for has a current contract with the Navy, we work on different projects with naval vessels and navy yards. i just spent 2 weeks on a naval facility raising a sunken barge with our company equipment and had to deal with naval security on several levels. I still don't understand the whole process! We were allowed to tow the aircraft carrier John F kennedy from Norfolk to Philadelphia after decomm in 2008 ( before I was on tug) and Base Commander came aboard and wanted a tour of our tug and crane barge and we were later challenged and denied putting trash in base dumpster! Crew was vetted and badged as per Navy regs/post 911 security.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Contacting War Ships via VHF for Communication

Missouri, Wisconsin. New Jersey, Iowa.

I was reading they were each commissioned / decommissioned 4 or 5 times in their careers!

He (Reagan) was reminiscing Theodore Roosevelts 'white navy' projecting power and intimidation with battleships. To that extent it worked. ( you recall it 30 yrs later!). But militarily it wasn't a good return on investment. But boy
Were they Impressive.

'Walk Softly. But carry a big stick'.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
We had the massive Missouri anchor in Sydney harbour some years ago, for our navy celebrations. A magnificent sight indeed.
A newspaper published a photo of Missouri firing her guns off the coast, the entire side of the vessel appeared engulfed in flames. The shells were reported to be the size of a Volkswagen Beetle.
Wasn`t Missouri a battleship put back into service by Reagan, for reasons of national pride?
Perhaps its (Iowa class) main guns squeezed the equivalent of a Volkswagen into a 16-inch barrel.

Definitely the Iowa was brought into service in the Reagan years.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #31
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I give them a lot of room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	56333  
Attached Images

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Flanders, NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
I wonder how far the ship is pushed from a full broad side blow.....
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #33
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
I wonder how far the ship is pushed from a full broad side blow.....

Seems barely measurable, in spite of hearsay otherwise.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-022.php
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #34
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Not really national pride but strategy against the Soviets if they invaded Europe. The Iowa class battleships were brought back as part of the US Navy's plan to have a 600 ship navy. There were several reasons to bring back the Iowa's but a Warsaw Pack invasion was a big reason.

If the Warsaw pack headed west, the US would have to transfer large numbers of men, equipment, and supplies across the Atlantic. Many of the soldiers would be flow over on commercial aircraft, the US had contracts with some US airlines to takeover planes and use them as transports in case of war, but equipment and heavier supplies would still have to go by ship.

The Soviets would want to block the convoys moving across the Atlantic so they would send their very large submarine fleet, as well as their not too shabby surface fleet, west to intercept. But to get to the convoys, the Soviets would have to get passed the GIUK(Greenland Iceland UK) Gap. In turn, NATO would use the GIUK Gap to block the Soviets to protect the convoys.

The battle around the GIUK Gap, hopefully, north east of the gap would be an air and submarine action for the most part but once the sub threat was minimized, the US Navy would move up the coast of Norway to attack the Soviet bases around Murmansk. This would be done with carriers and the Iowa class battleships.

This naval attack, along with USMC landings to help hold Norway, would force the Soviets to move air units from central Europe to defend the Soviet Union, which would in turn, reduce the pressure on NATO on the main front. The Iowa's could take a beating due to their heavy armor and with cruise missiles could attack land targets.

Back in the day when I was reading about all of this, it sounded like the Iowa's would be sent in ahead of the carriers but with air cover. The Soviets would have to attack the Iowa's because of their cruise missile threat to land targets. The battleships would give US air power a chance at destroying the Soviet bomber forces while minimizing the risk to the carriers. The Soviets would have to send fighter units to protect the bombers and if their planes were going after the US Navy in around northern Norway, then they could not be helping the attack in Central Europe. This also kept the bombers away from the convoys streaming across the Atlantic to resupply NATO.

Even though the Iowa's had very effective armor, the Soviets had some very large and fast cruise missiles with heavy warheads. And they still do. Not sure how many of those an Iowa class can take before sinking but it was not going to be pretty that is for sure. Flip side is that the modern ships could likely be sunk with one or maybe two hits by these missiles so the Iowa's were much more survivable but they would also be attracting lots of attention. Which I think was the point. Let the Soviet forces attack the Iowa's so their bomber fleet could be reduced, if not destroyed, before getting near the carriers. This in turn reduced the Soviet forces attacking in Central Europe while protecting the convoys resupplying NATO.

While all of this was going on, I don't think there would be lot of chatter on channel 16.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #35
Guru

I appreciate the pics and information. I think Missouri (?aka Big Mo) was here in 1988. We circled her in my "Folkboat" (a 26ft long keel fractional rig heavily built f/g sailboat of Scandinavian design) and were loud hailed by the crew to keep our distance, we complied promptly.
Apologies to the OP for the drift, but it seems to have struck a chord.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:17 PM   #36
Guru

City: Heartland
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
The Navy missle cruiser I served aboard operated with the battleship New Jersey off the coast of Viet Nam. Story was one night a small auxilary ship picked up the New Jersey on thier radar and challenged them to identify themselves or they would open fire. The responce was " this is the USS New Jersey fire at will ".
You can believe if your are any where near a Navy warship they have already tracked you and IDed you.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #37
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Since the carrier was at your 9-12 sector on the port side, you have the right away. Should have told the carrier to stand off until you passed.
Right⁉️😂😝🙄😱😃😳😜
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Not size, but weight of a Volkswagen Beetle.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 AM   #39
Guru

City: Heartland
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
During gun fire support it's amazing to visually be able to see 6 of her 16" projectiles when she fired in support of the Marines. Usual report was " entire vc bunker complex gone " !
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #40
FF
Guru

For fun just get a couple of GREEN flairs for your very pistol.

Green to the military means

"mark my attack from this position".

Dont worry , they will call you!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote