Considering a Sabre 48 Express

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikecurreri

Vessel Name
Bravo Zulu
Vessel Make
Sabre 45 SE
After cruising for ten months a year, for ten years and more than 50K NMs in a Selene 55 and now a Marlow 70E, we are downsizing our boat and cruising ambitions. We’ll still do the Bahamas each winter from a new home in FL and go on local YC trips out of Jacksonville.

Thinking of getting a Sabre 48 with a SeaKeeper. Any thoughts??

Mike

What power train would you get with the Sabre? If IPS might I suggest a long term warranty?

Twin Cummins QSC 8.3L Zeus 550 H.P.
There is a forum member with that drive train that had substantial problems with the autopilot in following seas. You will have very limited or no choice on the autopilot because of the steering system. He ultimately sold the boat and went with another model by the same manufacturer with conventional drives. Basically the boat builder, Zeus, and the autopilot company kept pointing fingers at each other while waiting for the warranty to expire.

Not sure I'd want to be in the Bahamas trying to find someone who can work on Zeus drive.

Ted

Hey Mike

After cruising for ten months a year, for ten years and more than 50K NMs in a Selene 55 and now a Marlow 70E, we are downsizing our boat and cruising ambitions. We’ll still do the Bahamas each winter from a new home in FL and go on local YC trips out of Jacksonville.

Thinking of getting a Sabre 48 with a SeaKeeper. Any thoughts??

Mike

Welcome aboard!

Following up on Ted's point regarding Zeus maintenance away from populated cruising grounds -- do many boats with Zeus or IPS venture far from home?

A friend has a Sabre 48 with the pods - not sure which ones exactly. Touched bottom with them at low speed, said it wasn't violent or dramatic. Both pods sheared off which they are designed to do. Last time I talked, the insurance bill was up to about $200K and they weren't done.

Back
Top Bottom