considering purchasing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What FF said. A 1987 32-foot boat worth $60-80K? A boat is worth what a buyer will pay for it. Period. If you are looking to live aboard I think you will find anything under 40 feet will cramp your style. I am making tons of assumptions. Good luck with your decisions! ?

Yes, I understand. There are four of the same boats on the market that are two feet smaller (30s)--of similar age. Two listed in the mid 50k range and two in the mid 70s. He "added value" to this boat for it has $150k of upgrades. I am feeling that I am making myself buy this boat because of the upgrades & value-- but it really would be uncomfy that small. I suppose it seems a secret what boat it is... I hesitated to put that on here because the yachtworld listing is wrong--the owner told the broker it was a 30', so the broker copied all 30foot info. It is a 32" with a 135 perkins, & other "clarifications" I found onboard with all the papers (title, etc.) Sundowner Tug... 32' in annapolis... not many made nor on the market. sundowner Boats For Sale

He "added value" to this boat for it has $150k of upgrades.

My insurance company would tell me I'm dreaming, if I tried that.

I've got a bunch of $Ks of upgrades/replacements/etc. Perhaps would make the boat easier to sell, compared to others, but there's no (or at least only very little) net increase in value.

Let's say a boat is "worth" (really, no kidding) $50K. Add $20K of electronics. The boat is now worth about $50K. OK... maybe $52K. And it might sell faster, relative to other candidates. But it's the bones that establish most of the value; add-ons are often just window dressing.

If it's the one in Annapolis listed at $49K, looks pretty good, at least from pics. No idea about comparative value, though. Must not be too far away from where we are...

-Chris

Last edited:
I did search for values... Nada guides does not have these boats listed (in that year they were made by Valor Marine) but did get a BUC value at $60k.

"I am feeling that I am making myself buy this boat because of the upgrades & value-- but it really would be uncomfy that small"

This is all I need to read to know what you should do.
Good luck with your search

IF the "upgrades are electronic toys , their current value is close to ZERO.

By time most electric toys are installed they are 3 models out of date.

If a fine genset is installed , a hydraulic system and windlass or a a stability setup or bow and stern thrusters , some value will be realized.

Same for a marine (not ex truck parts) heating plant or central air cond.

Yes... right. The upgrades includes all new (quality) windows and frame, new aluminum tanks and their support pad, new a/c, new generator in sound thing, new (quality) upholstry, new electronic ac/dc panel... that's most of the big stuff (no new electronics.)

Yes... right. The upgrades includes all new (quality) windows and frame, new aluminum tanks and their support pad, new a/c, new generator in sound thing, new (quality) upholstry, new electronic ac/dc panel... that's most of the big stuff (no new electronics.)

Every item you listed is standard maintenance. Not a single upgrade.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Post #'s 33, 36 & particularly 38 say it all, potential IRS issues aside. You said yourself the boat would be too small. Move on man, move on. The more information you post here, the more this boat is sounding like "lipstick on a pig".

CPseudonym wrote: "Every item you listed is standard maintenance. Not a single upgrade."

Have to disagree. Plenty of owners limp along with marginal windows and tanks, and represent them to prospective buyers as acceptable. In my book, those are capital expenditures that significantly modernize a decades-old boat by extending its useful life.

Now, it's true that the cost to perform those upgrades (windows and tanks) does not affect resale value on anything like a dollar-for-dollar basis. It may even be as low a ratio as nickels and dimes on the dollar. But if done right, they add a lot to this boat's utility and marketability.

For my money, $35K for this Sundowner tug yacht looks like a genuine deal, if it's the boat you want. As another poster on this Forum insightfully observed (on another thread), we should be mindful of whether we are looking for a deal or for a boat. Ideally, you'll get both.

Update... decided to nix the Sundowner tug-- figured if it caused that much anxiety it just wasn't right (and the anxiety was palpatable.) Excited to report I am surveying a 1990 36' Marine Trader Sundeck in Key West on Monday. Love that layout-- and no nonprofits involved!

Back
Top Bottom