RE: Confined to Quarters

I'll second what Carey said.* Stay with us

Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greetings,
My observation is: Any person's "political" views has little to do with their boating expertise. Yes, some discussions on OTDE have degenerated into name calling and rabid responses (on several occasions, most probably alcohol fueled and although I do not drink myself, I can appreciate the mindset) but the fact remains that the majority of contributions on other sections of this site have added greatly to my boating knowledge. As a result of "getting to know" some members from OTDE, I would never associate with them but that does NOT lessen their contribution to the sum of my learning.
I say, let OTDE continue. I feel it greatly lessens the creep of anyone's views into other sections of the site. I fully agree with Mr. Carey, and urge those members thinking of leaving to hang tight until we all see what develops from moderator intervention.
Yours.....

RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
TF Site Team

Confined to Quarters

Here is the skinny on what's going on:
1) Site was sold, plan is to stay the course.
2) There have always been some rules including no personal attacks, no illegal content, don't misbehave, etc. We plan to keep those and will refine them so they are clearer and thus everyone know where the line in the sand is drawn.
3) We are moving to new software which will give us more tools for our team to communicate and discuss how to hand issues when they arise.
4) Our team will be reviewing our own processes to make sure we are all in lock step in how we manage issues. This has been kind of tough in recent weeks because many of the team have been offline and unavailable to contribute their $.02 on how to handle things. Item 3 above will help tremendously with this.
5) The focus of this forum is Trawlers and boating and we don't want to see members turn on each other just because they might have different beliefs. We will evaluate the value of OTDE and probably re-open it once we change software.

At this time we are navigating through some uncharted waters and our team has some work to do. I will be the first to admit that we have done somethings well and also made mistakes. The important thing is that we are chatting internally about the issues and learning from our mistakes. Please be patient as we motor through these choppy seas, there are smoother waters ahead...

-- Edited by Andy R on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 04:46:02 PM

-- Edited by Andy R on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 04:46:23 PM
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:After I read this I was "incensed" but thought I'd give it awhile before I responded. It wasn't the words that set me off but rather the "pathetic" response to pulling the thread & PMing an individual with the threat of kicking him off the Forum. OTDE was clearly labeled as "Adults Only...Don't Enter if You're Easily offended." I don't like the name calling either, on both sides, but we are all men and quite capable of defending ourselves. We don't need a forum "nanny" taking sides with one party or another.
To top it all off, the owner starts a thread that he thinks will tactfully and diplomatically defuse the matter. If I want PC and censorship, I'll watch the evening news but when I go to a site that I've really enjoyed (and supported with my wallet) I don't need to see "unilateral actions" taken by a moderator that clearly has no clew and is in over his head.

With that said, I will say "goodbye" to all the friends I've made on this site since October 2007. I have your e-mail addresses on my computer and will be in touch. I've also made a copy of this post, in case there's another computer glitch and it gets lost. (I've already had 1 post and a PM disappear.)

SeaHorse ll

Please remove me from the member list.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 02:56:47 PM

Walt, I seriously hope you reconsider your position and will stay on long enough to give this change a chance and see if this is the type of community you'd like to stay associated with.* We all agree that mistakes were made on both sides.* What's important now is how these wrongs are righted and what measures are put in place to assure these mistakes are avoided in the future.*

As you know, there is much agreement with your feelings.* As one who has been on the receiving end of many virulent attacks from one member, I feel it's about time someone reel in the out-of-bounds behavior and deal with the issue reasonably and equitably. I agree that there needs to be accountability, but it needs to be evenly distributed on both sides of the aisle.

I feel that OTDE serves an important function of keeping the non-boating discussions from creeping into other boating-related threads.* There are a couple of individuals who could use a lesson or two in decorum and proper behavior, but the majority reasonable and a few are outstanding.* I put your posts iin the outstanding category and know we'd all be the poorer if you leave.

Al
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #25
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Andy G wrote:
To quote Jack Aubrey in 'Post Captain', "I know damned well what's going on;and I wont have it....
******To top it all off, the owner starts a thread that he thinks will tactfully and diplomatically defuse the matter.
-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 02:56:47 PM

*Hold up Walt, a little misunderstanding I think.

I started the post* with my usual tongue in cheek style to get a discussion going on the recent events in OTDE. You are confusing me with the new owners Andy R, whereas I am Andy G also known as 'Shrimp' in my former life.

Andy G and Andy R are seperated by the entire Pacific ocean.

So you must certainly stay, would'nt be the same without you.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

This discussion is not about*boating...shouldn't it be moved to OTDE?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
Keith wrote:
This discussion is not about*boating...shouldn't it be moved to OTDE?
*Keith - I Second the Motion!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:I swear I'm innocent. *Let me out of here!
*Gee ... feels like I'm losing an ally.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #29
FF
Guru

I dont see where the problem is.

Political discussions always follow the same route.

When the Lefdt looses their emotional religious rant to a reasoned argument ,

"Well I thought you were smarter than that", or your fat , or some other personal attack is all they have.

Most adults understand this , the reason there is no "Left Wing" talk shows.

Emotion and vitreol only last short while , most folks prefer reality.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #30
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44

Quote:
FF wrote:
I dont see where the problem is.

Political discussions always follow the same route.

When the Lefdt looses their emotional religious rant to a reasoned argument ,

"Well I thought you were smarter than that", or your fat , or some other personal attack is all they have.

Most adults understand this , the reason there is no "Left Wing" talk shows.

Emotion and vitreol only last short while , most folks prefer reality.

I rest my case . . .
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #31
TF Site Team

Confined to Quarters

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote: "To top it all off, the owner starts a thread that he thinks will tactfully and diplomatically defuse the matter."
Quote:
Andy G already pointed this out but I wanted to make sure everyone was clear that I did not start this discussion, he did. *We are two different people who just happen to share a great first name!
Quote:
-- Edited by Andy R on Thursday 8th of March 2012 08:33:55 AM
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #32
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

None of my real life (as opposed to on-line) friends have exactly the same views as I.* As a matter o' fact, my friend's political and social views tend to run to both extremes of the spectrum. But we do have common interests; sex, drugs, rock-and-roll, pop culture .....* And some of my friends and I are tied together through common life experiences - Naval Aviation for one.* We generally tend to stay away from political discussions because there is a tacit understanding that nothing good will come of it and friendship ending hard feelings could result.* We don't have an OTDE.

That's why we need OTDE here.* Some of you are obviously* ..... wait, I can't go there ... * ... some of us are at opposite ends of the spectrum in our political and social views.* But talking about boats is the common thread that drew and keeps us together. We don't discuss politics in the boating sections and we don't talk boats in OTDE.* But, my God, we do talk!

I believe OTDE contributed to this site becoming more than just a repository of technical boat talk.* When I was first getting into trawlering I visited several times a day to gather as much information as I could on the subject.* But there comes a point where the learning curve tends to flatten out.* After that there's not much reason to visit unless there is a specific topic of interest to research. By now I know all I care to about anchors and single vs. twins.

But I am still interested in BS'ing around with people who share my love of boats* ... and airplanes, cars, guns, cool techno geek gadgets, etc.* I'm not concerned about hurting anyone's feelings or causing a rift in our friendship.* And I can always jump back to the "Power Systems" section when I need to ask for advice on how to get the left handed metric torque framage off the engine.* And I know that I'll get help, irrespective of my political beliefs.

My writing skills are pretty weak and I can't quit bring this rambling to a conclusion except to say that, IMHO, killing OTDE is a mistake and will lead to decreased participation in the overall site.*

Just sayin'
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Lurker, this we can agree on.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #34
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

Hypnotist

It was entertainment night at the Trawler Forum.

Claude the hypnotist explained: "I'm here to put you into a*trance;

I intend to hypnotize each and every member of the Forum."

The excitement was almost electric as Claude withdrew a beautiful antique pocket watch from his coat.

"I want each of you to keep your eyes on this antique watch. It's a very special watch.

It's been in my family for six generations."

He began to swing the watch gently back and forth while quietly*chanting, "Watch the watch, watch the watch, watch the watch..."

The*Forum became mesmerized as the watch swayed back and forth, light gleaming off its polished surface.......

Quote:
A hundred pairs of eyes followed the swaying watch until, suddenly, the chain broke; it slipped from the hypnotist's fingers and fell to the floor, breaking into a hundred pieces.

"****!" said the hypnotist.

It took*months to clean up the Trawler Forum.

Claude was never invited back.

Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #35
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

My two cents? I don't think the moderators need to do anything. Just open OTDE back up. I would bet that folks will watch themselves and what they say to each other. Sure, it will get out of hand at some point. When it does, shut it down for a couple of days so we can simmer down.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #36
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Confined to Quarters

Quote:
Giggitoni wrote:
My two cents? I don't think the moderators need to do anything. Just open OTDE back up. I would bet that folks will watch themselves and what they say to each other. Sure, it will get out of hand at some point. When it does, shut it down for a couple of days so we can simmer down.
*Yeah,* sort of a slap on the rist.

OK kids play nice.

If nothing else open a heading under Jokes.

One of the best parts of OTDE.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 8th of March 2012 11:53:01 AM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #37
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Confined to Quarters

Lurker hit the nail squarely on the head. Great thoughts Lurker.
My thoughts on OTDE is that it should be self policing and the moderator's should stay away. I think that if one side, right or left, gets out of line with name calling the other side will quickly shame them back to civility. Nobody's going to get physically hurt here. Hurt feelings maybe. The only time the moderator should get involved is if someone joins TF for the expressed purpose to raise havoc on OTDE with ridiculous posts as happened a few months ago with ZIPPER or whatever handle he used.
Ron

-- Edited by windmist on Thursday 8th of March 2012 10:14:14 AM
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

In addition to Off The Deep End, OTDE can also be acronym for Open Thoughts Discussion Experience.*
In other words... Mariners who have the guts to care for their craft, ply the seas, and act as their own Captains should well be afforded a forum venue where they can discuss and debate whatever each of them truly feels important.* Trawler Forms OTDE offers just such opportunity.* Back when... it was in the seaside pubs and taverns where seafarers met to trade their thoughts and learn from one another.* Sometimes damn good one on one fist fights or multi person brawls would break out too, I know, I was in plenty of them during the 60s and 70s in New England, NY Harbor to Maines Penobscot Bay; but thats a whole other story!
Well... this is the High-Tech 21<sup>st</sup> Century now and we seafarers meeting place has more often than not become the internet to trade thoughts and learn from one another!* Also, because of the nets global-reach we can intermingle in discussions with Captains from far ports and learn things that previously were unavailable at the local pubs **Its a pretty darn peaceful place this internet communication thing, cant even start a brawl it you wanted to.* And, as has been mentioned on this thread by others, if any OTDE contributor gets way out of hand on posts then the rest of the participating Captains set em straight... or if necessary ask the forum sites owner to kick the offender out!* Captains in drinken mens bars were self policing and Captains participating in Trawler Forums OTDE can continue that timeless tradition.* In Maine I owned one of them taverns during early 70s... sometimes an offending Captain needed to be 86d (i.e. kicked the hell out) for a period of time and even sometimes for good!* BUT, we always kept the pub open for Captains who could act civilly (enough) and wanted a meeting place to trade thoughts and have discussions.* Often, a lot of thought provoking information was shared; in general some damn good times were had by all in attendance!
The other Trawler Forum venues are for discussing various types of boat stuff ONLY, and they are well appreciated as such with much great boating information freely traded.* OTDE is for Captains that want to Let It All Hang Out!* I believe it will do a disservice to Captains of all ages and from far and wide to not reopen Trawler Forums OTDE. - - > IMHO!! *
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	art - pilot tolly_100_1362.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	10494  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
windmist wrote:
Lurker hit the nail squarely on the head. Great thoughts Lurker.
My thoughts on OTDE is that it should be self policing and the moderator's should stay away. I think that if one side, right or left, gets out of line with name calling the other side will quickly shame them back to civility. Nobody's going to get physically hurt here. Hurt feelings maybe. The only time the moderator should get involved is if someone joins TF for the expressed purpose to raise havoc on OTDE with ridiculous posts as happened a few months ago with ZIPPER or whatever handle he used.
Ron

-- Edited by windmist on Thursday 8th of March 2012 10:14:14 AM
*Probably the best solution. ...and I would add that strict control be exercised outside of that forum...whatever is said in there...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #40
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

...and I would add that strict control be exercised outside of that forum...whatever is said in there...

Perfect! Besides, regardless of what side we're on politically, we always seem to pass on our experiences when it comes to boat maintenance, handling, cruising destinations, etc., in the other sub forums. Can't we just all get along?!!!