Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Confession

Boy I screwed up this last weekend. Luckily I figured out what was going on before there were any consequences.

I was frequenting the local most popular water destination in the area...Outriggers. There is always a crowd here and you are definitely on stage while you are maneuvering. I take great pride in handling my boat and due to my job, I don't suffer from anxiety from being on stage. SO it was time to leave. For the past 30 minutes while hanging around I was going through my options and strategies. It was pretty straight forward but still I wanted to be sure. I was bow into the tide with a boat right behind me...stern to stern. And bridge supports in front of me....so limited room to maneuver forward and aft. So I knew I could just basically walk the boat out as the tide was in my favor.

So we get the ines off and a friendly nudge and everything is going as planned. A little port throttle followed by a little starboard...the "falling leaf" in reverse. The only problem....the starboard engine is not responding......I FORGOT TO START THE STARBOARD ENGINE!!!!! I guess I got distracted right in the middle of starting the engines. Anyway, I hit the key and the engine started immediately as it always does. No worse for the wear and likely no one watching could even notice my screw up. Anyway, a totally boneheaded move.

In my line of work, our ultimate goal is to avoid consequences of your errors. And I did do that. But I did get to the point of an "unsafe aircraft state"(in this case a boat). And that is the final level before consequences occur. Luckliy I caught it and corrected before those consequences happened.

What could I do to prevent this in the future??? Maybe a conscious "exercising" of the throttles and note a response on the tachs??? Dunno.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Note to self: Don't fly with Baker. He forgets to start some of the engines. :-)

Old 08-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Everyone makes mistakes. I'd use a checklist.
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
I've done plenty of dumb stuff, but I haven't had the pleasure of being in this particular situation... Yet. Generally I start em both up, and let them get up to temperature before I shove off. I'll check the gauges several times before I let go, which I think is a good habit.

Last season I had a couple of badly adjusted shift cables, so my engines would cut out when I was making locks and docks on a fairly regular basis. It's quite frustrating. I feel your pain.

All's well that ends well. I bet nobody even noticed.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
We use the bow line held by one of us on the foredeck along with a big fender between the bow and the dock and swing the stern out 60 degrees or more with opposing thrust against the bow line and hard over rudder to get off a dock we're being blown onto or out from between boats immediately in front of or behind us. Works great every time.

As to remembering to start both engines, every time we do an engine start the other person (my wife or me) goes back and watches the exhausts at startup to make sure there's the proper water flow, check for rust in the first shot of water out the pipes, etc. Pretty hard to forget to start an engine when you've got someone standing there watching the exhausts.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Check list on clipboard the one for leaving a spot on a day trip is a different list then the list leaving my marina but very similar
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Note to self: Don't fly with Baker. He forgets to start some of the engines. :-)
We have detailed checklists and procedures that prevent that.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
The funny thing about having lots of experience and practice on your boat it helps you look good when things are going normal. It also helps bail your arse out of big trouble when things aren't going normal.

In your situation it helped you recognize what was wrong and how to fix the problem before the proverbial feathers hit the fan.

Nice recovery.

As to your question about preventive measures--I always give the throttles a slight nudge before I move. Most importantly, I like the sound of the Cats when they start to purr. Secondly, it's a verification that boat Cats are purring, one ain't still asleep.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
The funny thing about having lots of experience and practice on your boat it helps you look good when things are going normal. It also helps bail your arse out of big trouble when things aren't going normal.

In your situation it helped you recognize what was wrong and how to fix the problem before the proverbial feathers hit the fan.

Nice recovery.

As to your question about preventive measures--I always give the throttles a slight nudge before I move. Most importantly, I like the sound of the Cats when they start to purr. Secondly, it's a verification that boat Cats are purring, one ain't still asleep.
Yep...I agree. I guess that is what they call "experience".

And I was thinking the same thing. Just an exercising of the throttles and check the movement on the tach. Of course....I don't expect to make this mistake again. And is a stupid one and one of those you can't really imagine happening. But it did.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #10

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
What could I do to prevent this in the future???.

Get a single engine boat.

In all seriousness, glad all ended well.
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
I would not go as far as a blanket statement like that....only fly with him in a Schweizer!
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #12
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I think you already did what you need to do.

I didn't start my single engine... day 3 out returning home after buying the boat. After casting off from a fuel dock I put her in gear and nothing happened.

Genset was running and not having a genset on the last boat...the sound triggered that I was already started.

Never again...pilots usually that last a career have the knack of NEVER doing the same stupid thing 2X...otherwise they never usually last a career.

Actually ...you also hit the real nail....before leaving a dock...checking fwd/rev each engine is a good thing to do for a lot of reasons let alone seeing if the engine is hot and bothered.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Baker, like on the plane, you should have gotten on the hailer, and said something like. . . . .

Folks if you liked that it was on one engine. Now, for my next trick I will start the other engine.

See, then it's all in the plan.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
I am amazed you could get a boat the size of yours in there. I came by Saturday about 2:00 as the storm chased us off the Bay and it was packed. I certainly know what you mean by being on stage.
By the way, where is Turtle Club & Sam's? I'm looking for dining options.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
What could I do to prevent this in the future??? Maybe a conscious "exercising" of the throttles and note a response on the tachs??? Dunno.
Don't you use a "check list" in your line of work?
Might work on the boat too!
I applaud your admitting a really bone head move although I have never done anything like that!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #16
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Guarantee you will never do that again...check list or not.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
Guru

City: West Coast
Sounds to me like your problem was you got distracted and then allowed yourself to continue where you THOUGHT you left off. When I am getting ready to leave the dock, (or anchor, or return to the dock, or launch the dinghy, etc.) I let everyone know not to distract me unless they are concerned about an imminent problem that they don't think I am aware of. If there is an interruption, I ignore it if possible (and tell whomever, thanks, but hold that thought). If the interruption requires my attention, I pretty much start the sequence over.
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
When I am getting ready to leave the dock, (or anchor, or return to the dock, or launch the dinghy, etc.) I let everyone know not to distract me unless they are concerned about an imminent problem that they don't think I am aware of.
I do exactly the same thing, although I get a lot of flack from my wife. We went out for a run yesterday and I must admit that she is really rounding in to a great crewman. She handles all the lines, fenders and stows everything before we depart & unties the boat in a specific routine. While cruising, she relieves me at the helm, operates the auto pilot & constantly scans the instruments and chart plotter for possible problems. When docking, again her responsibilities include fenders down, lines at the ready, telling me when we are in the right place in the slip, (I have no visual reference as to how far my bow is from the dock) she steps off, cleats the port stern line, cleats both spring lines then continues to secure the rest of the boat.

It's only taken us about 20 years to achieve this performance. Instead of yelling at one another, I turn one of the VHF radios to channel 71, she does the same with the handheld and we communicate like that. I think a good set of walkie talkies are in our future, though.

Taken yesterday

When the dock step is aligned with the side door, she tells me to stop and we are in the perfect position in our slip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Renee.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	43300   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	43304  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #19

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
The best training I endured for such crap shoots was moorage on Vancouver's Fraser River. Nothing like a speedy little current at 90 degrees to get your attention as you think of idling out.

What I learned was to find an exact line of escape and then try to crab there by degrees, leaving some time and chance for a power adjustment if needed (twins). But if you haven't done it enough, you can't do it at all, and as the crowd gathers...bowsprits become bumpers and apology pulpits...
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #20
Guru

You are working on preventing repetition, but if it never happened before(?) maybe it`s a casual oversight. Find why it happened, maybe you`ll eliminate the cause. But if it turns out a momentary distraction, not every risk can be eliminated.
I try to learn from my mistakes. I liked watching old hands run a trial, you could see they`d confronted problem "X" 10 times in their career, tried multiple ways of dealing with it, and found the one that worked best.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote