Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Let's all be honest about something right now before this thread goes much further. This is John Baker we are talking about becoming sidetracked on his boat... Really??

Have any of you seen the photographs of the distractions that he routinely takes aboard his boat??? Only way to cure his distraction at the helm is the same way his employer does, limit public access to the cockpit.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Have any of you seen the photographs of the distractions that he routinely takes aboard his boat??? Only way to cure his distraction at the helm is the same way his employer does, limit public access to the cockpit.
Great point and right on the money!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Ok, I'll confess too. I changed the Racors on my starboard engine. Started the engine and let it run a few minutes to be sure I didn't have any air in the system. Then I attempted to increase the RPMs to be extra sure. I moved the throttle forward and the engine remained at idle! Pushed the throttle further and nothing. Glanced at the tach and it was at zero. Yep, I had started the port engine in error. I was so happy it was just a mistake and not another boat dollar lurking in the engine room.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #24
Guru

No worries John, when I was going into CHS last year, as I got close to the marina I turned the wheel and nothing happen. Current was pretty strong and I didn't have much time. So as I started to panic I finally remembered I forgot to turn the auto-pilot off.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Let's all be honest about something right now before this thread goes much further. This is John Baker we are talking about becoming sidetracked on his boat... Really??

Yes but his distractions have very noticeable twins...like his boat....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #27
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Don't beat your self up Baker! We all have those situations where we did or didn't do something critical. The main thing is that you assessed the situation, didn't panic and solved the problem. Nobody probably even noticed (except your deck honeys that you told later). Kudos
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #28
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
As others have said, that's a little mistake you'll never repeat. The only harm was to the captain's ego, but in my experience, that's sufficient damage.

Single-handing on one fine, still, mirror-calm morning: started the engine, took in the fenders, dropped the lines, sauntered casually back to the helm (imagining that my uber-coolness was being admired), moved shifter into forward, eased throttle in same direction, and . . . nothing happened. Could I be aground in my own slip? Could the shaft have come uncoupled in the night? I hurried to the stern to check for prop wash, and found the starboard stern line still cleated off, excess neatly flaked on deck. Immediate next step: look around carefully to see if my uber-cool was still being admired. Then, very casually, uncleat and drop remaining dock line.

Yeah - that's one mistake I won't make again. There'll be others.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #29
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Hang a little sign on the throttle that says, "Did you start the engine. If so, then you remembered to open the throughull". Kill two birds with one stone.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #30
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Well, if confession is good for the soul, here's mine.

I was coming out of the channel at Isles Yacht Club, Punta Gorda into Charlotte Harbor. The boat was struggling to get on plane. It would only do 15 knots. So, I pushed both throttles to wide open. Didn't help. I looked down the starboard tach read O. I had failed to start the starboard engine. The good new is the boat will do 15 knots on one engine. I was a little embarrassed to say the least. I just said, "Alright folks let's just start over.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #31
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Since we are confessing, I pulled a bone-headed stunt last year. One windy day with a boat full of guests, I backed Boomarang out of her slip, port rudder and prop walk as usual. Shifted to forward, gave it a good dose of power while turning the wheel to starboard to line up with the fairway. The boat moved forward but turned sharply back to port, right at my neighbor's transom. Hard astern and the stern swung to port. Now stopped, with the wind pinning us against the transoms of two boats, guests fending us off, I discovered the A/P was engaged. No steering at all. The rudder was turned to port the whole time.

The following month I installed a bow thruster and made sure I double-checked the status of the A/P before moving the gear lever.

To this day, I don't think any of my guests believe my explaination . . . . . they are convinced I was just being a wingnut.

Never say never, but I don't think I will be repeating that little maneouver again any time soon.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:11 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I applaud you, Baker! Most pilots I know would have blamed it on the FO!

Reminds me of a joke....

One of Baker's blonde beauties was enjoying one of his flights on a 747. It was a beautiful flight for the first hour. Then Baker came on the intercom explaining that they lost an engine but not to worry as they still had 3 more engines. As a result, they would be an 30 minutes late to their destination.

A short while later another engine failed and Baker came on the PA announcing their situation and explaining that they'd now be an hour late. No worries, though....we still have 2 more engines.

Later in the flight, Baker regretfully announced that they had lost their 3rd engine and would now be 2 hrs late to their destination.

With this PA call, John's blonde beauty exclaimed to the passenger seated next to her, "If we lose another engine, we'll be up here all day!!!"

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:51 AM   #33
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
With this PA call, John's blonde beauty exclaimed to the passenger seated next to her, "If we lose another engine, we'll be up here all day!!!"

Hahaha, nice.

Speaking of one engined induced embarrassing situations... The last time I was in Kingston, Ontario, I went to start up and leave for my next port, only to find that my port engine wouldn't start. I knew I had a fuel problem, probably a filter issue. I decided that I was going to leave on one engine, as I only had 20 miles to run to the next port, where I knew I could get ahold of a couple of new filters. (Or at least be a bit closer to the nearest towboat US location when the other engine quit...)

To escape my slip, I needed to make a 90* turn to starboard. The wind was coming in from my starboard beam.
I learned the hard way that my boat does NOT like turning to starboard into the wind with only the starboard screw turning. I made a real mess of it. I almost clipped a dock and two boats. No damage done, except to my pride. I now carry plenty of extra fuel filters.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:24 AM   #34
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Another confession. We refueled at Baileys in White Bay Sydney, of course closing down both engines, which were running normally. Refueling complete, I restarted, but the port engine would not fire up. We depart the fuel wharf heading back to the mooring, doing fine on one engine. We`d been running for about 20 minutes, I was discussing with the Admiral what could have happened, Admiral points to the pull cable knobs,they are right in front of me at the helm, says the the port one is still pulled up. Uh oh. Push down knob, cable retracts, hit starter, engine starts. All`s well that ends well.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:59 AM   #35
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
This might have been my distraction??? And the ego never really took a hit....no one noticed...

Our next topic, taking selfies while driving large boats on plane...upside down...no clue why that turned out that way....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:02 AM   #36

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Confessions? I resealed my steering helm on the fly bridge and checked that the rudder was turning with my imputs. It was 98 degrees that day and I simply left it as is to go and cool off. Came back the next week and moved the boat out of the slip to dock at my camp. You guessed it-steering backwards. No damage, but a real nail biter until I realized what I had done.LOL
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #37
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
But seriously, the overall structure of my post was loosely based on our threat and error management model and our FSAP(Flight Safety Action Program) program which is one of self disclosure.
There are always threats. In this case, the current, the wind, and whatever distracted me right in the middle of starting the engines,etc. We use strategies to mitigate those threats...checklists,etc. Errors can still happen after our mitigation strategies and if they are left unchecked(unprepared), they can lead to an UAS....unsafe aircraft state(boat in this case). This is where I was in the model. If a UAS is left unrepaired, then consequences occur. Luckily, I repaired and recovered and returned to a normal safe state. Part of the "healing" process is determining the threats that caused it and finding ways to mitigate those threats in the future.

And that is where the outline of this post came from.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #38
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
This might have been my distraction??? And the ego never really took a hit....no one noticed......
Dang brother!
Ok, now I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Hang a little sign on the throttle that says, "Did you start the engine. If so, then you remembered to open the throughull". Kill two birds with one stone.
How 'bout a couple of these:
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #39
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
This might have been my distraction??? And the ego never really took a hit....no one noticed...

Our next topic, taking selfies while driving large boats on plane...upside down...no clue why that turned out that way....
Baker

That will do it every time the upside down blond your excused this time
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #40
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Maybe that's a position that you normally find yourself in!