Composting toilet experiences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I repeat that a composter should not be automatically discounted for charter guests. There is so much negative attitude here and elsewhere about the composting toilets. Don’t let that overly influence your decision. Standard marine toilets with seacocks, joker valves, holding tanks with sensors, gross pumpout procedures and complicated flushing instructions is a fertile ground for all sorts of problems for charter guests. Just search on this forum for toilet and look at all the problems people have with their marine toilet systems.

Do what you want, but don’t let the fact that you have to tell a male charter guest he has to sit down to pee be a deal breaker. There is virtually NOTHING that will break down on a composter during a charter.

Most charter guests aren't going to be handling seacocks,jokervalves,holding tanks with sensors and gross pumpout procedures. The only thing they will deal with is immediate use issues. I think composting/desicating toilets are great- just not with non boater, charter guests. It takes a little more user intervention and explanation than a n ordinary marine head.

Thanks, this is precisely what I will be looking into, the costs and benefits. The 'head' use and function is only part of my safety discussion for passengers before we leave the dock. Regardless of the instrument and method it must be addressed, (unless a mega yacht...), My consideration now is to weigh all the variables and learn more, for which this forum had been very helpful. Bottom line, still researching...

Thank you, Guy With a Boat, Old Dan 1943, "whoa Mama..." is out of line. Current USCG 100 GT Master, and am aware of Marad, yes, boat made in US, and I find your remarks offensive. Please, no need to reply unless a safety issue or constructive advice.

I ask that because recently, in the Miami area "we" have had trouble with folks and illegal charters. I asked that so we do not lose you to the USCG and LEO folks.
Sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.

There are owners who turn their boats over to charter companies with the intent to write off the boat and make a few extra bucks. I have never heard how that worked out for the owners.

ALL areas of the country, including mine, are experiencing illegal chartering, and, in my opinion, should be reported to USCG. ANY "compensation" is against the law without a license. This is for the safety of the public.
Apology accepted, the tone and content might be tempered for constructive dialogue.
Now, back to pee and poop...
:)

Interesting, thanks, uses no electricity. Was generally avoiding fresh water systems, but will do more research into it. One foot pedal simplifies things for guests. Lots to learn, much appreciation for sharing resources...

The simplicity and ease of maint. is a delight , but the tiny use of flush water makes the setup work as if the holding tank was 5 or 10 times larger.

Look at catalogues there are other more well known brands of this RV type head with a tank below.

Hello, Just bought a 28' boat with enclosed head and porta potti which I would like to replace. Anyone have any recommendations or experience with various types and makes ? Will not be used often, but for paying charter guests a porta potti will not do.
thanks,
Stuart

I disagree. For paying guests a port-a-pot is much more acceptable than being introduced to a box of kitty litter. Most are familiar with, may not like but are familiar with, the port-a-pot. They are a reality for many venues. Compost toilet? Probably not familiar at all and most likely a good percentage have never even heard of one.

If I were thinking about chartering my boat I would want it to be attractive to as many people as possible. Lets be frank, that's not the Queen Mary you are renting out. You need it to be "better" than the others available... of which there are many. You would lose me, and IMHO many others, as soon as we read about the toilet. Just too many other options. Do yourself a favor and spend some dollars to put in a real marine head. At least keep up with your competitors in that area.

Now to consider what to put in. It is always a complication when I have to explain pumping out, and water coming in equally as out, switching the lever to out only, then back, etc. A foot flush is simpler for them. So I will continue, and thank you all for your time, and a reminder to myself that Youtube has most every answer, yes, I am dating myself... Thanks again, Stuart :)

You can simplify for your guests even more: convert to electric freshwater flush. Push the flush button, done.

Three models you might review (might be more that I don't know about):
- Sealand (now Dometic) Traveler, which is a bombsight arrangement with the holding tank immediately below the toilet. Doesn't use much flush water.
- Raritan Marine Elegance; no experience but it's Peggie's standard recommendation and many have commended it
- Jabsco Quiet Flush 37045; that has worked fine for us these last 17 years, without much maintenance. (I can't compare what "Quiet" means, other than to say it's much quieter than the VacuFlush we had in the last boat.)

Issue standard instructions about no wet wipes, no feminine hygiene products, and don't store anything but toilet paper in the head compartment. (Ours flushes a bazillion sheets of premium 12-ply TP when necessary; might flush pencils, but I haven't tested that.)

Our optional control actually has three buttons, the main one for flush/rinse, another for bringing in water only, a third for flushing only. I think the Marine Elegance control can be like that too. This being useful if the holding tank is over the hill and under the dale away from the toilet...

-Chris

Thanks for all the ideas, advice, thoughts and suggestions. At the moment, selling two other boats to concentrate on this, yes, the "two boat owner' swan song pales compared to three, one with paperwork issues which may end up in small claims court.
At for the moment, my "new" boat is being detailed, then bottom paint and zincs.
So, I am gathering and thinking about all the choices, including raw or fresh water.
A holding tank, plumbing, etc will all have to be addressed, in the meantime I am gathering more information. Thank you, stuart

Hello, Just bought a 28' boat with enclosed head and porta potti which I would like to replace. Anyone have any recommendations or experience with various types and makes ? Will not be used often, but for paying charter guests a porta potti will not do.
thanks,
Stuart

No experience with compost but I want to hear the answers AND find out more about that boat! That is great!!! And on a trailer?

Score! Boat is one owner new from 1974, re powered to 4 cyl Volvo Penta diesels, VP duo prop outdrives, triple axle galvanized trailer with new rims and tires, 7' 11" beam, two helms, perfect size for me. Carer Safari is the boat, many had gas. Can't wait for sea trial.

Still hard at work doing my research, boat is a few hours away and I have not gone through it in depth. I know that sounds dumb, but the boat is one owner from 1974 and same mechanic and shop with great reputation have been working on it for years and recently $2OK was put into the boat.

To the head, the owner used to go 100 miles off the coast of Northern California, had a direct discharge system. Now a porta potti, but not much room for a holding tank.

So, where I am today is leaning to a 565e Porta Potti with electric flush, yeah, I know they go bad, but just buy another one in a year if needed, $150. Simple, cheap fast.

Now I know who Peggy Hall is, and she seems to like the SeaLand 711-M28 model with the tank right below the bowl. Am researching that and have a few questions I will call their customer service on Monday.

Boy, I did not think or know of the choices, last boat I just slapped in a new Jabsco for $155. A learning experience, appreciation for the contributions...

Attachments

• IMG_6443.jpg
    IMG_6443.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Have pretty much decided to buy a Sealand 711-M28, foot pump and built in 9 gallon holding tank under the bowl. I already have a raw water intake and waste discharge I can connect. No electricity. This will be a start and if I need an additional holding tank, that will be added down the line.
In the meantime, I am doing other stuff and not gotten around to the head, but this is pretty definitely my choice.
Will share pix and experience after installed and used.
Thanks for all the input!
FYI, some pix of the boat, very unique, 28' twin turbo diesel, duo prop ODs. trailer for legal towing. Two GPS units registered 23.6 knots wide open, but I will cruise at half that speed....
Cheers
Stuart

Attachments

• IMG_6535.JPG
    IMG_6535.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6543.jpg
    IMG_6543.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0438.jpeg
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_6617.jpg
    IMG_6617.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6620.jpg
    IMG_6620.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 47
9 gallon holding tank? Mighty small. 6 sold waste flushes and you are over flowing, maybe.

We had a Sealand Traveler in a previous boat. I think it may be the same or very similar head. It had a 9 gallon tank also. It was horrible. Every time you flush it the head is open to the holding tank and so you could smell what was in the holding tank. My wife hated it and I removed it shortly after and put in a regular head and a larger holding tank.

Ah, another consideration I had not thought of, seems like a hybrid porta potti. As I wrote, I have not gotten to the plumbing part yet, but this experience certainly is worth thinking about....more info into what will be decided, thanks again...

I'm a pretty hearty soul - but dumping a porta-potti is one of the only things in life that made me gag.

I think of it as the worst of both worlds - close proximity to handling human waste like a composter and having to let it slosh around and ferment like a conventional marine head. But it doesn't have the benefits of either (well, I guess that's not true, it has the benefit of simplicity and no through hulls).

I'm a pretty hearty soul - but dumping a porta-potti is one of the only things in life that made me gag.

I think of it as the worst of both worlds - close proximity to handling human waste like a composter and having to let it slosh around and ferment like a conventional marine head. But it doesn't have the benefits of either (well, I guess that's not true, it has the benefit of simplicity and no through hulls).

Somehow the fact that is human waste from others doubles the gag factor. Human waste from others that I don't know? Would put me way over the edge. I would throw away the porta-pot and go buy another one.

Have no idea where I would through it away though. I guess one way or another it has to be emptied. OP, get a marine head!!

We had a Traveler. Bullet proof. I don't remember odor being a deal, although I can imagine how that could be. Seems to me that's when we started using Peggie's "KO" tank treatment, though.

Very minimal flush water required for the bomb sight operation; seems like that 9-gallon tank was the equivalent of a 25-30 gallon tank plumbed for serious quantities of flush water from a marine toilet.

It was plumbed for pump-outs through a deck fitting; I think no macerator/thru-hull to empty the tank if offshore.

I think ours was freshwater flush; can't remember, that was 25 years ago...

Anyway, like I say, operation was bullet proof. Never clogged; nothing to clog.

-Chris

Last edited:
"Every time you flush it the head is open to the holding tank and so you could smell what was in the holding tank. My wife hated it and I removed it shortly after and put in a regular head and a larger holding tank."

Sounds like it was not properly installed and vented.

A composting toilet also requires a vent usually sold with the toilet.

The #2 is mixed with peat moss by rotating a handle and the collection box is easy to handle once a month or so to empty. It is dry and does not smell.

Last edited:
"Every time you flush it the head is open to the holding tank and so you could smell what was in the holding tank. My wife hated it and I removed it shortly after and put in a regular head and a larger holding tank."

Sounds like it was not properly installed and vented.

On a Traveler system there's no option to how the bomb sight has to open to drop waste into the tank. Opening is very brief, though, unless you hold the foot pedal down for some reason.

-Chris

A little late to the party, but I also monitor CruisersForum.com, a more sail-focused sister site. I am refitting my Willard 36 and essentially starting from scratch so have flexibility. I asked existing compost head owners if they would do it again. 120 or so comments, about 50 were unique. A couple neutral comments, and 95%+ were enthusiastic "YES!!!" However.....sailors generally had old, cheap heads so the bar was pretty low. See attached cut/paste document for about 40-comments.

My conclusions are:
1. Composting heads work really well for one or two people. If you have more, or plan on guests, benefits diminish quickly.
2. TP. Best to avoid TP for urination (women). So
3. Emptying the liquid side is more of a PITA than the solids side. Needs to be emptied every few days or so.
Bottom line: If you are travel a lot in a NDZ and you abide by no-discharge rules and you have a two-head boat, having one as a Compost makes a ton of sense.

I'm still not sure what I will do. Peggie was super helpful (especially with planning where to put the holding tank), and no doubt I would go with the Marine Elegance as a traditional marine head. But I have to say, the amount of plumbing/equipment that does not get installed with a compost head is impressive.

View attachment Sept 19 2019 Cruisers Forum Compost Head.pdf

For my needs today, am going to pass on the composting, but it seems a choice for cruising couples.

A little late to the party, but I also monitor CruisersForum.com, a more sail-focused sister site. I am refitting my Willard 36 and essentially starting from scratch so have flexibility. I asked existing compost head owners if they would do it again. 120 or so comments, about 50 were unique. A couple neutral comments, and 95%+ were enthusiastic "YES!!!" However.....sailors generally had old, cheap heads so the bar was pretty low. See attached cut/paste document for about 40-comments.

My conclusions are:

1. Composting heads work really well for one or two people. If you have more, or plan on guests, benefits diminish quickly.

2. TP. Best to avoid TP for urination (women). So

3. Emptying the liquid side is more of a PITA than the solids side. Needs to be emptied every few days or so.

Bottom line: If you are travel a lot in a NDZ and you abide by no-discharge rules and you have a two-head boat, having one as a Compost makes a ton of sense.

I'm still not sure what I will do. Peggie was super helpful (especially with planning where to put the holding tank), and no doubt I would go with the Marine Elegance as a traditional marine head. But I have to say, the amount of plumbing/equipment that does not get installed with a compost head is impressive.

View attachment 95138

I have a Nature’s Head and agree with all you said. If I had a two head boat I might think about replacing one with a composter and leave one regular head for guests.

I think that’s what the “Gone With the Wynns” YouTube sailing couple did on their catamaran.

ON a new build I would use an RV toilet , IF I could locate the waste tank directly below the toilet.
I would install a Dupree waste valve as low as possible on the tank , leaving room for a pail under.

Waste pumping with a macerator out the deck fitting or having the pump out do it would be a simple choice,

Kept wet the waste pumps seem to last for years and with RV toilets 1/10 to 1/20 water use the pump outs would not be often.

DUPREE PRODUCTS

https://www.dupreeproducts.com

Welcome to DUPREE PRODUCTS, home of the TWIS-LOC Valve. Originally sold as the Owens Valve. For assistance, please call 1-888-668-4288 between 9:00 ...‎Sewer Hose · ‎Power Valve and Parts · ‎Vintage Bluebird Parts · ‎About Us

Last edited:
ON a new build I would use an RV toilet , IF I could locate the waste tank directly below the toilet.

I think that pretty much describes the Traveler.

We visited friends in their brand new travel trailer a few weeks ago, and their toilet seemed to work the same as a Traveler (might even have been a new version of one). It worked well enough, a decent rinse while flushing etc.... but the actual toilet bowl material seemed like flimsy plastic. Kinda echoed...

-Chris

Decision made! Thetford 565e portable toilet, formerly model 550,"Curve".
No plumbing, $163 with shipping and base plate and three year warranty from Thetford. A friend bought one, very picky and finicky, he and his girlfriend both very happy with theirs. Thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom