Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
Comments on livability?

I have a 38 Bayliner now and I am pretty happy with it. I am thinking of a 42-44 Jefferson, Present, Ponderosa, Tradewinds or similar. I really like the interior joinery and extra space of an enclosed hard top sundeck. I know there will be a difference docking, but for my own marina, extra deck height is a substantial help rather than a hindrance. There are lots in my price range and I am reasonably comfortable I can distinguish good from bad with both my own experience and that of multitudes of other owner/posters. What I have never seen much on is the difference in livability so I am hoping a former Bayliner owner who has made the same transition might chime in.

Here is my quandary. I have knees that have seen better days. I can appreciate the differences in the Bay vs.say MT layout but although the change might help my knees, I am less comfortable predicting this issue compared to mechanical ones .

I find my boat not so much difficult but, over a season, perhaps wearing. As examples, there are about four trip hazards or height changes to go down the narrow hallway from the bedroom to the guest head. BTW it is a real bear to work inside the hallway hatch. The stairs from the kitchen to the salon are not bad as they are wider and more consistent but the drop off from the salon to the cockpit is not my favourite. As well the ladder to the bridge is not so nice on regular days but much worse in rough water.

I know a Sundeck model mostly operates like a split level with fewer, more well defined steps in between. I will probably make the move with or without any knee advantage but am quite curious if things might get better it could speed me up a bit. Comments? TIA

bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pensacola
Love love love my Sundeck Nova Heritage East.

I have had knee surgery and find the ladders easy to maneuver. Not too fatiguing.

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I would not have a sundeck because of the ladder to the swim platform...not sure the other steps are any worse than a trunk cabin model...I have 3 steps up/down to my forward stateroom/galley and to the master. I have 2 steps out of the saloon to the deck and 3 steps to the trunk cabin top then flat then 2 step ladder to the flying bridge.

I think this is the easiest for an older guy with bad knees to get everyplace with minimum ladder climbing but I'm sure there are others that will disagree so I'm awaiting their thoughts as well.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Love love love my Sundeck Nova Heritage East.
And that is what I get and exactly what I deserve for failing to mention a Heritage East
Old 12-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pensacola
When I am med moored I have to enter via the Swim platform as Psneeld states. But it's an easy climb. I have 3 steps into the salon and 2 into the galley. 3 up to the fly bridge. Easy peasy. My dad can still make it up to the deck. But .. I also have cold beer as an incentive. Not sure if that is anecdotal enough...
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would not have a sundeck because of the ladder to the swim platform.
Yes I have heard the same thing. It still is a problem if you have an extension and a cockpit or alternatively have an clunky opening into the master. I don't like either but must say that "ladder or cockpit" or not, that would be less of a problem than the bridge ladder which you mount underway in weather compared to the swim platform which you don't really go out on unless you are stationary so may not be a deal breaker.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
I also have cold beer as an incentive. Not sure if that is anecdotal enough...
Any serious self respecting trawler owner should consider a strategically located beer frig at each level.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Went from my Bayliner 3288 to a 48 foot Californian. I have to agree on the Sundecks. Yes, they are multi level but very easy to traverse. As far as the drop to the swim platform it's not too bad and in reality I have only had to use it a few times so far as an entry and exit point. Livability is a 10.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsyiruncle View Post
Yes I have heard the same thing. It still is a problem if you have an extension and a cockpit or alternatively have an clunky opening into the master. I don't like either but must say that "ladder or cockpit" or not, that would be less of a problem than the bridge ladder which you mount underway in weather compared to the swim platform which you don't really go out on unless you are stationary so may not be a deal breaker.
We have a cockpit yachtfisher, and find the arrangement very accommodating. In the salon, there are 4 stairs forward, from the salon down to the galley and forward cabin; 4 stairs down to the aft cabin; and 4 stairs up to the enclosed sundeck. From the sundeck, there are 4 stairs to the flybridge.

From the aft cabin, there are 3 stairs into the cockpit (full sized door). Nothing clunky about it at all.

I liked my 3870, but this layout is another world altogether by comparison.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsyiruncle View Post
If you are a serious cruiser...you'll get more than your feet wet on the swim platform....not often but it only takes once or twice in scary conditions to make you think how could it be better...

the only way I would have a major vessel with a high main deck or sundeck is with a cockpit....but that is just me and my way of using a vessel.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
Guru

City: Trenton
The newer Heritage Sundecks have molded in stairways up from the swim platform and around outside for this very reason. Look for 2001+ years.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I went from a 32xx Bayliner to my 3870 Bayliner & one of the main reasons is the cockpit door, the 32 didn't have one. I have a bad knee that only bends to 90 degrees from a motorcycle wreck when I was a kid. With the 32 I had a set of steps on the finger to enter & exit the boat & that worked fine on a inland lake where I was always in the same slip. On the river different marinas & having to bow in or having a end tie makes using the transom door to the swim grid & then step up on to the dock works very well for us, I do have a RR conductor step I use on the swim grid if needed on a higher dock. I like the aft cabin style boats like caver & the old Chris craft but I wouldn't own one because of the ladders to get on or off, climbing the flybridge ladder is ok because I don't have to do that multiple times a day.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #13

Peter is right that as you get up to a 52 the door improves a lot but if you are at 40 plus a cockpit, making it 44 or so it is often more of a glorified window than a door. I am limited to about 44 by cost effective and available dockage.

psneeld - interesting comment. right now I can't really think of a reason to be on a swim platform in crap weather or underway unless I am trying to rescue someone. Then it would not be about convenience and I would be tied on with a life line myself - I can understand where dock heights are low but everywhere I go you have to climb up to the dock. this year I made a extra side step between the rail and the salon wall so my wife could get on safely and still it is tricky . I think i higher deck with a ladder or passerelle would be the ticket - did I miss something?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
You know, as a happy Bayliner owner you might consider the 4788 model.

Few would argue hat it's not a very liveaboard friendly design.

With a covered cockpit entry is a breeze, among with comfortable covered seating.

With the galley on the same level as the salon and cockpit, hauling groceries, meal preparation and stowing groceries is a snap.

Three straight steps down to the cabin level

Three straight steps up to the pilothouse level

Three more straight steps from the pilothouse to he huge fly bridge/boat deck

heres a video of my boats interior

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #15

Thanks Kevin. I have followed you for a while and remember the harrowing trip to Alaska. I am afraid the 4788 is, as an American would word it, "a bit spendy" for me. As well. it ratchets down my dockage availability.
Great video though - here it is

Old 12-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
Guru

[QUOTE=psneeld;201638] ...the only way I would have a major vessel with a high main deck or sundeck is with a cockpit.[QUOTE]

Same here. Easier and safer access from floating docks, dink access, line handling in locks, "stuff" storage... Here's a photo of our OA 44....the cockpit is also available on the 42 and 46.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1475.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	26190
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Dunnsville,
Vessel Name: Serenity II
Vessel Model: 1990 36 Marine Trader, Sundeck
Have to agree with Blue Heron & Knotheadcharters. We purchased our MT sun deck over a year ago, & we love it. Sure there are steps, but not that bad. So far we have only used the steps to the swim platform once. With the sun deck enclosed, you have another room....

Frank
Rivahrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
Guru

using the swim platform is all about how you boat...if you are mostly in marinas...not important....

dingy, diving, emergencies, etc...etc....the swim platform is your connection to the world outside your boat...so it DOES become a big deal...but only for those that enter or need to get close to the water on a daily basis....occasionally climbing down a ladder is no big deal or if you are still young or don't have a dog that needs to get there (though at some point getting a dog to the dingy is black magic for ANY boat).
Old 12-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The Krogen Manatee, a 36ft single stateroom, trawler has its living quarters on a single level with a flying bridge for piloting. The Manatee is well loved and one of the favorite boats for living aboard. There must be other single level boats. Suggest you consider looking at a boat or two on a single level.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Haven't had a need to use them (boarding ladder and swim platform) in 2.8 years, but there they are.

Tags
knees, stairs