Old 11-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Coming home

Deleted until photo is corrected. Sorry...
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Marin, you need to lay off the sauce, or maybe it was the medicinal maijuana?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

No, I took tbe photo with a stupid phone instead of a real camera and the resulting picture imports upside down. Tried flipping it in various apps on the iPad and no dice-- the metadata only allows the photo to import as upside down. So I need to put it in Photoshop and fix it properly.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Maddening! The iPhone has to be held like you would for a call, or if on its side, with the volume buttons up.

It really was a beautiful day!
Old 11-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

Okay, here's the corrected photo. Taken at the end of the day today as we were entering our harbor after a nice, but cold, fall run. Don't you non-PNWers go getting the idea that the days always look like this up here: this is just the third one we've had since I moved here in 1979.
Attached Thumbnails
Home.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: puyallup
Vessel Name: Neaptide
Vessel Model: tung hwa clipper 30
You must have slept thru the one we had 3 years ago.
amdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Guru

Who's that a picture of on the upper left. Not GW himself??
Pre civil war when they changed white hair for beards.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

The line drawing in the brass frame is of Jean-Francois de La Perouse, the person our boat is named for. He was the first French explorer to come to the Pacific Northwest.

In 1785 he crossed the Atlantic, rounded Cape Horn sailed over to Hawaii (he was the first European to visit Maui), then sailed to SE Alaska and explored north to Mt. Elias and Lituya Bay (origionally named La Perouse Bay) before heading south down the west coast to California. He then sailed across to the northwest Pacific around Japan, Korea, and Kamchatka and then down to Australia and the southwest Pacific.

His two ships were wrecked in a storm on a reef in 1788. They built a boat from the wreckage and La Perouse and a small crew headed out for New Zealand to get help. They were never seen again.

La Perouse commanded a French naval frigate during the American War of Independence and captured several British warships in Hudson's Bay. He was quite different in character from most naval commanders of the day in that he treated his crews extremely well. He was fascinated by all sorts of things--- geology, panets, animals, etc., and carried several scientists on his voyage of discovery.

His two ships were the Bussole (compass) and the Astrolabe. This painting shows the Bussole, which was the ship captained by La Perouse. The Astrolabe is in the background.

I got the little portrait when we visited the La Perouse museum in Albi, France. Albi is where La Perouse was from (as was the artist Toulouse Lautrec).

My father was French (from France), hence the connection with regards to our boat's name. Our current dog is named Albi for the same reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Boussole.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Poseidon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk1
Marin – well known and respected in Australia to this day. His final expedition arrived in Botany Bay less than a week after the First Fleet (though I think it is now accepted that he had no orders to actually claim Australia for France). The other historical “what if” scenario about La Perouse that I’ve always been fascinated by is that Napoleon Bonaparte (then 16) had applied to join that expedition. For unknown reasons, he was not selected. How different Europe would today be if La Perouse had actually taken him along to disappear in the Pacific.
RobertLeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLeatch View Post
His final expedition arrived in Botany Bay less than a week after the First Fleet (though I think it is now accepted that he had no orders to actually claim Australia for France)..
Yes, some say if La Perouse had arrived in Australia a couple of weeks earlier everybody would be speaking French down there today.

I knew about Napolean's application and rejection for La Perouse's voyage, but I've never read a reason for it

I have a two-volume English translation of La Perouses journal of the voyage which he sent back overland with one of the expedition's scientists when he was in the Kamchatka area. That journey took the fellow over a year and would be fascinating to read about in itself.

I have yet to read the journal--- I've only gotten as far as the introduction by the translator--- but I'm looking forward to having the time to get into it. He was apparently a really observant and sensitive man, and he wrote quite a bit about the injustices and cruelty to the local folks he observed being practiced by missionaries in Chile and California.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

His two ships were wrecked in a storm on a reef in 1788. They built a boat from the wreckage and La Perouse and a small crew headed out for New Zealand to get help. They were never seen again.
Possibly eaten, if they made it.
There is a Sydney suburb called La Perouse,located beside Botany Bay.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nicolas Baudin (in 1801) was actually the bigger threat – he was actively looking at ways for France to invade and prepared a detailed plan for Napoleon to take over the colony. To complete the circle… Hyacinthe de Bougainville (a very underrated French explorer) was with Baudin at the time as a young midshipman. He later returned in 1825 (as part of his own circumnavigation) and laid the foundation stone of the La Perouse Monument in Sydney. The monument still exists and is well worth a visit if you’re down under.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
... Don't you non-PNWers go getting the idea that the days always look like this up here: this is just the third one we've had since I moved here in 1979.
Oh? Like our visits to Seattle and Vancouver earlier this year, as in the several times in other years, the weather was clear and beautiful, not that I haven't experienced the rain's drizzle and once a pinch of snow in Seattle.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Bruce - there's a theory that some (at least) survived for a number of years on Vanikoro – signal fires from there were seen in 1791 by the Pandora (while searching for the survivors of the Bounty) but were ignored at the time. Another one of those choices that on reflection could have made for a different outcome.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: PEI
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: Jeaneau 21
mr RL, Marin, very interesting reading!
Seadog2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

The wrecks of La Perouse's two ships were eventually found. One of them had slipped of the reef into much deeper water. A number of artifacts from the ships were brought up; some of them reside in the Maritime Museum in Paris and some in the La Perouse museum in Albi.

Bits and pieces of hardware and tools from the wreck that stayed on the reef were also found on Vanakoro, indicating the possibility that the crew members who remained on the island lived there for some time. There are stories among the natives in the area of fair skinned people on Vanakoro for a time, and IIRC some of the natives had metal implements that could only have come from a European vessel. I don't recall how the information that La Perouse and some of his men had built a boat and set off for New Zealand became known, whether it was related by the natives or something was left behind on the island to tell the tale.

The small boat that La Perouse and his men built from wood and hardware salvaged from the ship that stayed on the reef as never been located.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Dillion seems to have been the one who discovered the relics in 1827 and was told by natives that some survivors had built a 2 mastered vessel from the wreckage (and felled trees) and sailed away. Apparently a few also remained on Vanikoro but had all died by the time Dillon arrived. An interesting early account attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hobart Mercury.pdf (709.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-18-2014, 05:01 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Marin, the French have a red expeditionary icebreaker called the Astrolabe, no doubt named after that second vessel, that services the French Antarctic base, which is often berthed at Constitution Dock in Hobart, Tasmania. My brother, who is a helicopter engineer based in Melbourne, has been down there on it several times to look after their choppers. Closest I'll ever get to Antarctica is he takes my video camera on loan with him.