Comfort versus Simplicity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I had to winterize my Splendide washer/dryer I ran the antifreeze through the fresh water system and then did a rinse cycle on the washing machine.

Brandy was the antifreeze of choice for this dishwasher.

Be interesting to learn how to winterise a dish washer and clothes washer.

40Gal of pink goop?

I'd expect those might submit to an air compressor, too. We can do about 99% of our freshwater systems with air, only bump a very tiny amount of pink AF through the strainer/pump/accumulator as a final precaution.

Presumably starting a wash cycle while the compressor is running would push any remaining water out of the lines...

Just guessing, though; no first-hand experience.

-Chris

40Gal of pink goop?

Take the boat to Florida. :rolleyes:

Ted

40Gal of pink goop?

Correct! :)

To do the washer, simply start the machine and let it fill until you can see the pink stuff.

Then put it on dryer mode for a moment to pump out as much of the fluid as possible.

Icemaker.... just let it try to make loads of ice until you see pink stuff.

I buy 60 gallons, 10 cases a year. Catch it on sale for $2.99 a gallon.

Comfort is simplicity for me. It all seems nice when everything is new. But later, going from one misbehaving system to another, arguing with manufacturers, waiting for parts, paying "experts", can get old guite quickly.

I buy 60 gallons, 10 cases a year. Catch it on sale for $2.99 a gallon.

Woof!

Not counting engines/genset/ACs, I think I used 4 gallons last year.

And most of that's because it was slightly easier to use AF on the saltwater washdown than it was to hook up the compressor that time. I can get it down to about 2 gallons this year, I think.

-Chris

Woof!

Not counting engines/genset/ACs, I think I used 4 gallons last year.

And most of that's because it was slightly easier to use AF on the saltwater washdown than it was to hook up the compressor that time. I can get it down to about 2 gallons this year, I think.

-Chris

I do not really try to be conservative. It comes down to how much time, vs how much $$

Besides the hot water heater bypass valves I have permenantly installed I need enough to run through everything, including the watermaker. Lots of outlets, lots of fixtures.

Fortunately the salt water wash down system is gone now, which will speed things up. When I put the watermaker in, I converted both washdown faucets to fresh water.

Each Cummins engine takes 7 gallons. The gen another 5, it adds up quickly.

I keep thinking about what I spent 10 days in August doing and have about another 20 days to spend in the same pursuit. Here's my shortlist:

No wood on the outside
Extra space in all ducts and cable raceways
Pull cords where necessary
No place where you require a 3 handed midget to open a valve while inverted

Oh, I do set up routes in Coastal Explorer, so when I turn the helm over to the wife, the instructions are simple, follow the black line.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom