Old 10-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post

While we have a good idea of what this compromise may be I thought it would be fun for others in a similar situation to share their thoughts. I recognize that everyone will have a different opinion and that's great, the intent is share opinions and have some fun.

Some of you get quite a bit of exercise jumping to conclusions. A few of you should probably visit the chiropractor now. The OP never said he didn't know what he wanted. He asked simply what you may want if starting with a blank sheet of paper as he is.

As we are about to be boat less similar to John it is a topic we are currently pondering too.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Morrinsville
Vessel Name: Nordic Blue
Vessel Model: Nimbus 380 Commander
㊙️I agree.

Grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
He asked simply what you may want if starting with a blank sheet of paper as he is.
This is such dead-easy question I decided to ask my dog what he'd like in a boat. After rolling around in the grass laughing for awhile he said, "A boat that's totally paid for, a boat that never breaks, a boat that's everything I want it to be and a boat that does everything I want it to do."

However many boaters there are on the planet is how many potential answers to this question there are out there. As Murray said, it's a totally subjective subject. If the OP is actually interested in what a couple bazillion other boat owners have to say on the subject, I guess it's a fair question.

Personally, I'd be much more interested in what I wanted in a boat and then I'd be going about figuring out how to get it. What other people want in a boat is, to me and my wife, totally irrelevant.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #24
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
So many boats, 3 Nordhavns, yet another new build and we don't have deep pockets. OMG, where's my violin?

I am looking for mine too. Simple works for me, but that's all I can afford.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
While we have a good idea of what this compromise may be I thought it would be fun for others in a similar situation to share their thoughts. I recognize that everyone will have a different opinion and that's great, the intent is share opinions and have some fun.
As others have mentioned, not too many folks here are in the situation where they can, or have ever, done a new build. We tend to get what others have already put into the boat.

However, I fully understand the dilemma of comfort vs simplicity. I think a lot depends on who is going to be doing the maintenance on the boat. I have to do the maintenance on my own boat. So I place a premium on not having things break and having them easy to maintain.

On the simplicity side...
No exterior wood. My current boat is all stainless and plastic and I like it that way.

Manual head - complex stuff breaks. Simple stuff tends not to.

DC fridge and propane stove/oven. Why run a generator if you don't have to? My last boat had an inverter, my current one doesn't. In a larger power boat probably it is a necessary evil.

No AC - Easy for me as I don't live in a warm climate.

No flybridge - Half the number of controls/electronic screens to maintain

Electric outboard for dinghy - Never have to do maintenance on an outboard, never have to buy gasoline, incredibly lightweight and has its own solar charger. It won't go fast, but I don't boat to be in a hurry.

TV - My boat is not my home, I can watch TV at home. For me, boats are for more contemplative or social activities.

Watermaker - Not necessary with proper planning in my cruising area. Like air conditioning, I realize that this would be a necessity for many.

Comfort side
Diesel furnace - year round boating and they are pretty reliable.

Separate shower - maybe this is a simplicity factor as well as a wet head is a pain to keep fresh.

Bow thruster - I don't have one on my 40' sailboat and I wish I did. If I am going to move to a power boat, I think I want one.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Don't know if I count. I plan out the routes with several waypoints in advance but do not tie in the autopilot. Each direction change is made manually.
Again....ditto! To me, the auto pilot is for maintaining a course, not for selecting it. I select the course manually.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
The OP never said he didn't know what he wanted. He asked simply what you may want if starting with a blank sheet of paper as he is.
Couldn't agree more! It was and is a fair question.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. dh. Nice overview. KISS (The last S is NOT stupid, it's Sailor). High on my list of simple is space. Space in the ER to check and service if necessary and space in the galley for some serious meal preparation. Space for storage. Sleeping accommodations can be minimal but again, enough space to store.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. dh. Nice overview. KISS (The last S is NOT stupid, it's Sailor). High on my list of simple is space. Space in the ER to check and service if necessary and space in the galley for some serious meal preparation. Space for storage. Sleeping accommodations can be minimal but again, enough space to store.
Space in the ER meets both the simple and comfort criterion. Simple, because everything is easier and faster if you have enough room to work. Comfort, because after you are done with the maintenance more room to work mean less Advil to take when you are done.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 10-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
OK, if I were starting with a blank piece of paper.

The stated mission is coastal cruising, and the ICW if I read the OP's criteria correctly.

For the main features I would want...

Speed. The boat would need to be able to cruise quickly if we want it to, so we can get to where we want to go during daylight hours.

Draft. A fairly shallow draft would be important to get to all the places you want to go.

Bridge clearance. It has to be squat enough to do the loop.

Water and fuel. It needs enough water for a few days and or a watermaker. Fuel range would be enough to make 600 miles or so, as just in case capacity.

Flying bridge, yes it would need one. A pilothouse as well for the inside helm.

A covered cockpit with swim step

A large salon for comfort, galley on the same level with stove, microwave, oven, trash smasher.

A large master stateroom, and a guest stateroom to stash stuff in.

Two heads, and a waste processing system for where thats legal.

Both heat and AC, probably a reverse cycle system would work.

Very quiet generator

entertainment, sat tv, internet.

There you go, the perfect coastal cruiser.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #31
Guru

Nice list Kevin, but where do see the balance between simplicity and comfort? For example, a LectroSan would be handy but adds to complexity?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 10-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #32
Guru

I was a little surprised at such an experienced owner asking the questions, but there is nothing wrong with comparing ideas OP is sure to have with the thoughts of others, he seems willing to think "outside the square" and to consider the views of others. Wealth or lack of it is a personal comparative thing, in economics the rule is "wants exceed means", no matter how great the "means" may be.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I was a little surprised at such an experienced owner asking the questions, but there is nothing wrong with comparing ideas OP is sure to have with the thoughts of others, he seems willing to think "outside the square" and to consider the views of others.
The OP doesn't necessarily want advice, he said it himself..

"While we have a good idea of what this compromise may be I thought it would be fun for others in a similar situation to share their thoughts. I recognize that everyone will have a different opinion and that's great, the intent is share opinions and have some fun."

Dave
SPOT page
Old 10-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #34

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
"So when I see a three-time Nordhavn owner asking an amateur boating forum for advice on how to spec out his upcoming new-build I'm afraid that I not only don't have a clue as to what suggestions I might offer that would even be relevant to what this person wants in a new boat, I don't even understand why the question is being asked as by now I would think someone with this boat ownership background would know exactly what he or she wants in a custom newbuild and is prepared to pay the price for it."

Seems to me someone needs to comprehend what he reads before making a comment like the above.

I say this simply because what the OP wrote in his post was pretty straight forward (for those of us who comprehend what we read) when he says:

"While we have a good idea of what this compromise may be I thought it would be fun for others in a similar situation to share their thoughts. I recognize that everyone will have a different opinion and that's great, the intent is share opinions and have some fun."

Need I say more...
Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Nice list Kevin, but where do see the balance between simplicity and comfort? For example, a LectroSan would be handy but adds to complexity?
I do not see any reason to compromise comfort in a Coastal Cruiser.

Comfort compromises are budget driven most of the time.

As far as maintenance of a complex boat, well thats another issue based on ones aptitude, or check book. I may have a dimmunitive check book, but I'm pretty good at fixing things and having them stay fixed.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I do not see any reason to compromise comfort in a Coastal Cruiser.

Comfort compromises are budget driven most of the time.

As far as maintenance of a complex boat, well thats another issue based on ones aptitude, or check book. I may have a dimmunitive check book, but I'm pretty good at fixing things and having them stay fixed.
Good points. I don't have the same level of skills as you likely do but I usually can figure out how to do most things given enough time.

You mentioned that budget drives comfort compromise most of the time and I agree. Time is another significant limiting factor however. Anything that needs doing that I don't/won't pay someone else to do, means that I have to spend the time doing it myself. I just spent the last 3 weekends replacing and rewiring my battery bank. Weekends that I would have preferred to be out sailing.

Complex vs simple sometimes means the difference between being on the water or just being in the boat.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #37
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. dh. "...being on the water or just being in the boat." For some reason as long as I'm aboard, even tied to the dock, I'm enjoying myself.
I don't necessarily have to go anywhere.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post

Seems to me someone needs to comprehend what he reads before making a comment like the above.

I say this simply because what the OP wrote in his post was pretty straight forward (for those of us who comprehend what we read) when he says:
Fair enough. I skimmed the post because it looked boring and jumped to a conclusion I shouldn't have jumped to. However I do stand by my statement that other than the "fun" aspect, it's a kind of dumb question as it has no answer, only about a zillion opinions that apply only to the person expressing them (which of course is the definition of an opinion). If that's all one is after then fine, have at it. But at the end of the day, everybody will be left standing exactly where they are now.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #39

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Guess I'm number 4 or 5.

Ted

Rob
Old 10-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
other than the "fun" aspect, it's a kind of dumb question as it has no answer, only about a zillion opinions that apply only to the person expressing them (which of course is the definition of an opinion). If that's all one is after then fine, have at it. But at the end of the day, everybody will be left standing exactly where they are now.
Are TF members incapable of having their opinions informed and changed by being exposed to the opinions, experiences, and knowledge of others?

If that is true, that is quite sad.

Dave
SPOT page