Old 07-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by windled View Post
So here's an added question about V berth comfort: what about bow wave slap noise?

In our current boat, a Silverton 31C, there is a hard 3" -4" horizontal jog in the topside running from the bow to below the water line, to deflect bow wave spray. The problem is that even the smallest waves compress in this "slot" as they move aft and at the waterline they slap, loudly. I'm not to bad with it, but my wife simply cannot sleep at all. This occurs at anchor, not at the dock, so we are currently restricted to dock side mooring only. IF we decide to keep this boat then I'm going to have to partially fill these in with an inverted quarter found filler to eliminate this noise, because we love anchoring out...

What about others... is this a V berth comfort problem for anyone else? And a consideration under cool beans original question?

Dale.
Certainly is one for us, and a definite consideration. It varies depending on hull design and construction. Have been on boats where it is so bad we've retreated to the couch in the salon. It is a particular issue at anchor, because the boat will be pointed into the wind and resulting chop. I slept up there a couple nights on the Hatteras, when we took friends on a honeymoon cruise; wasn't bad , but it was there. It seemed "OK" on the GB's we chartered, according to those sleeping there, other than one very windy night. It seemed to be not bad at all on a Krogen 42 I visited while we were anchored up together.

Some people are more sensitive than others, some even like the noise. We fall into the "way sensitive" category. Also nix on crawl-in or go-up- a step berths crammed in the bow. Ann vetoed the idea of having a Fleming 55 on that point alone.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wave slap is a definite issue for some and not for others. I know some who end up sleeping in the salon some nights when the slap is worse. The problem is you don't know until you've tried it and then it may be too late.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
That's so funny some owners have modified the hull to get rid of wave slap in the v-berth. That's a lullaby to us, ahhhh. Like getting rocked in a cradle. One of the most comforting sounds on earth.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Comfort is going to depend on your personal preferences. I like a very firm mattress, so when I redid my v-berth cushions I used 6" extra-firm foam with ultrasuede covers. I find them very comfortable though others say they feel like planks. Redo the cushions with something you know you will like and you will be comfortable.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #25
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Comfiest V-Berth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Filled the steps in on my hull during the refit. Pictures aren't very good and the fairing compound color makes it appear poorly faired, but it's absolutely smooth and slick. The void was filled with Coosa board, then glassed over with 3 layers of biaxial cloth, and then faired and gel coated smooth. If the next owner wanted to remove it, it woold be a simple matter of grinding the glass off and redoing the gel coat as none of the hull glass was disturbed and there were no screws used.

Attachment 42532

Attachment 42533

Attachment 42534

Attachment 42535

Attachment 42537

Ted
??

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
No wave slap sound in the forward cabin of our old GB.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #27
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
I think I might own the world's least comfy v berth. It's high. Way up close to the ceiling. That means it's a bit of an awkward climb to get up there, and then there's very little room once you're in. If you sleep with your head forward, your face is about 6" from the overhead. The cushions are thin and hard, and the damned thing is too short in any direction. I'm not particularly tall, but my feet hang off the end. It's like sleeping in one of those morgue drawers.

The aft cabin is a bit better. Not great, but better.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
That's so funny some owners have modified the hull to get rid of wave slap in the v-berth. That's a lullaby to us, ahhhh. Like getting rocked in a cradle. One of the most comforting sounds on earth.
Yet you have an aft MSR cabin boat? Or do you sleep up front instead?

Quote:
Interesting, the GB 46's and 49's we chartered all had it to some degree when anchored.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

Interesting, the GB 46's and 49's we chartered all had it to some degree when anchored.
Newer GBs with more than x-amount of power all have a lifting strake or wave deflector on both sides of the bow. This is a relatively square strip and I can see how waves or ripples hitting the underside of that while moored or at anchor could cause a slap.

The older GBs or newer ones with less than whatever the x-amount of power was for each model that have smooth-sided bows don't have any wave slap against the hull unless waves are actually breaking square against the sides. But ripples and small waves don't have anything to slap up against on the smooth-sided bows. They just slide on by.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #30
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
It varies depending on hull design and construction.
That it does! I'm amazed at the size of the V-bunk in our little 28 footer...
Quite comfortable actually!

I did have to put some teak grabrails on either side of the bulkhead so I can lever myself out in the morning.. V-Bunk is great, my flexibility not so much!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
??

As mentioned previously, the step creates an air pocket at the water line. Filling that void to eliminate the air pocket should eliminate the slap. Hulls that are wood or cored tend to muffle the noise quite a bit. While I can sleep through anything, the noise would drive my wife nuts. Being solid fiberglass, the noise is much sharper coming through the hull. This was a very modest expense compared to my whole refit. If it makes the boating experience better for my wife and guests, it will be well worth it.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #32

City: Norfolk, VA
Nice ideas! I think it was nailed when "getting in and with ease" was mentioned. This has been the biggest issue with my sailboats v-berth. There really isn't much of a "V". . .you have to sit on front, turn your legs in and crab walk into bed. . .or crawl in head first but the end of the berth is only a foot wide. . .or crawl in part way and twist around. . .either option has left me with many a banged head, knee, elbows, etc

Not a picture of mine (this one is much nicer), but to give you an idea:

The v-berths that have a deep "V" to them, more like twin beds on each side that meet at the end. . .are there older, smaller boats (34-36 ft range) that have a good v-berth setup?

Thanks! I appreciate all the advice
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
[QUOTE=caltexflanc;352483]Yet you have an aft MSR cabin boat? Or do you sleep up front instead?

It's really a toss-up. The aft cabin has the bigger bed and more space, but the v-berth is so comfortable that whenever we have guests we automatically give them the aft and we sleep like babies up front with that cozy wave slap and the stars twinkling through the bow hatch. Might be the mattress too, or the rocking, or the whole combination. I always sleep better in the v-berth.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

I'd prefer an island bed in the forward stateroom that allows access to each side of the bed and no need to climb over the pillows or the other person to gain entry.
I like the feeling of my partner crawling over me. I sleep on the aisle side since the bladder is more limited. (Bed is a double, offset to one side of the forward cabin.)

Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #35
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Comfiest V-Berth?

The best V-Berth is no V berth....
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438043902.976294.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	42564
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438043953.791397.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	42565
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #36
Guru

No discernible slap in the forward cabin of our IG. But there was in our previous Masters 34.
Most of the comfort in the V-Berth (ours is more QB than V-Berth) comes from your companion. Well, it does for me.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Our "play" boat has a v cabin and I hadn't thought a lot about how they got walking areas beside it plus a nice size bed, so I just thought about it and looked at some photos online of the model. It's by not moving it all the way forward in the V. There's a fore deck area which just has storage under it and the cabin starts about 3 or 4' back. By the time you get to the foot of the bed, you have the full beam of the boat. It also protrudes into the galley/salon area and the aft cabin is referred to as a crew cabin, which tells you how small it is. The boat is clearly designed to sleep only two people plus perhaps on occasion one or two others. Also the cabin is completely open to the galley/salon area. Really the other place to sleep comfortably is probably the salon. We've had the boat nearly 3 years and have spent two nights on it, both with only the two of us.

It's like everything on a boat, a trade off. I hadn't really thought until just now what they did trade to get the walkaround cabin.

And for the record, I do agree with Mark and enjoy my wife crawling over, although sometimes it takes her an extraordinarily long time to get to her side.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Manotick, Ontario
Vessel Name: The Emerald
Vessel Model: Silverton 31C
Ted, how was the bow spray after your modifications? I expect its dependent on speed, sea state and wind effects on the spray.

My plan is to fill the jog with the a curved surface to still deflect bow waves as well as small wavelets at anchor.

Thanks for the pictures and details.

Dale.
windled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by windled View Post
Ted, how was the bow spray after your modifications? I expect its dependent on speed, sea state and wind effects on the spray.

My plan is to fill the jog with the a curved surface to still deflect bow waves as well as small wavelets at anchor.

Thanks for the pictures and details.

Dale.
Not back in the water yet.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #40
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Ah roger! Thanks mate.