Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #21
Grand Vizier

I've crossed bars many times on my way to the mens room and only fallen down once. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Cochrane, Alberta
Vessel Name: Painters Cove
Vessel Model: 1997 Bayliner 5788
Here are some North Sea fishing boats

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2239231/North-Sea-trawlermen-Fishing-boat-battered-waves-brave-crew-carry-dangerous-job-world.html

weebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Yes, that would be the Geymouth, or possibly Westport bar off the west coast of the South Island of NZ for sure. Those guys do it all the time, and they keep together so they can help each other if one of then comes unstuck. All the same, they have lost some boats coming in on a really bad day. But its their living, so somebody's got to do it.
I'm not sure exactly what they mainly catch, but the fact one brave sole on the rear boat took a photo before diving back inside suggests the waves were even impressing them a bit...
The video mentioned the Columbia river bar. http://www.oregonstateparks.org/imag...rd_pacific.pdf

This isnt even the worst of Oregons bars
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Do you mean flood tide?

No, I meant at highest slack tide, just as the ebb starts so I catch it at the deepest possible water, get some boost from the tidal flow and get over the bar before the waves start forming.

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
Do you mean flood tide?

No, I meant at highest slack tide, just as the ebb starts so I catch it at the deepest possible water, get some boost from the tidal flow and get over the bar before the waves start forming.

dvd
Highest slack tide can be just before flood tide. What you meant is slack tide at high tide right?
Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
I think dvd meant what he wrote. He departed the Columbia River for the ocean at the start of the ebb tide. So he basically had slack water but with a degree of current (plus the river current) pushing him along. I believe when things can get rough is when you have the river current colliding with the flooding tide.

We do the same thing when we traverse Dodd Narrows south of Nanaimo. We try to time it so we arrive at the narrows just as the tide is turning and there is a wee bit of a current going in our direction although we have gone through with a bit of current against us. Slack water is very short in narrows like this so given all the other variables in timing a run to get to a certain spot at a certain time the chances are good you'll have to deal with something of a current at Dodd.

I took the first photo as we were approaching Dodd from the south. The second photo of Dodd in full song is off the web.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodd Slack.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	14386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodd Running.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	14387  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We day hopped our way down the WA/OR coast and learned from the locals that with the prevailing on shore winds, "flood was fine, ebb was evil".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
...This isnt even the worst of Oregons bars
What commercial bar crossing is worse?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #28
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd
Do you mean flood tide?

dvd
Got it! I have only crossed San Francisco bar ( the "Potato Patch") so I have limited experience with other locations. However, we find that it's best to cross the potato patch during the end of the flood to minimize steep and close waves and swell coming in off the Pacific. I'd rather push against the last of the ebb rather than suffer the consequences.

Ray Muldrew
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Can someone explain that structure projecting from the port side of #8876? A permanent flopper-stopper?
isnt that a bird? a type of stabilizer
Old 12-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, it was the Greymouth Bar, NZ....More info here...
Greymouth bar braved by experienced fisherman - NZ News - Video - 3 News
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #31
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
It's no fish ye're buying, it's men's lives. - Sir Walter Scott
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
bfloyd, Do you still have the wreckage of the New Carissa on your coast or was it successfully salvaged?

Land Management The Wreck of the New Carissa

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
bfloyd, Do you still have the wreckage of the New Carissa on your coast or was it successfully salvaged?

Land Management The Wreck of the New Carissa
Good question. I've walked lots of the beachs north of Coos Bay to even north of Reedsport but havent seen it. Thats maybe a hundred miles of coastline but i havent walked or traveled all of it. I'll see what i can find and let u know

a quike searh found this link which stated the last peice was removed in 2008 http://www.oregon.gov/dsl/lw/Pages/carissa.aspx
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #34
Guru

We had a TV series, I think called "Trawlermen" ( "trawlerpersons" to be PC), of a trawler fleet out of UK, great pics of scary weather and stories of the daily perils. But the "Greymouth" footage is about as exciting as it gets. Even so I reckon the helmsman, oops, helmsperson, was probably smoking a cigarette and thought it a greater health hazard than the bar.
Having visited Greymouth, boats crossing the bar is probably the most interesting thing that happens there.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Potato Patch Shoal outside Golden Gate.

Surfing the Potato Patch - Wavechaser finals (USA) - Surfski.info - News, Product Reviews and Interviews

During my 1960s teenage years racing on my father's 28.5-foot sloop, close-by sailboats would disappear, except for the tops of their sails among the waves.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Potato Patch Shoal outside Golden Gate.

Surfing the Potato Patch - Wavechaser finals (USA) - Surfski.info - News, Product Reviews and Interviews

During my 1960s teenage years racing on my father's 28.5-foot sloop, close-by sailboats would disappear, except for the tops of their sails among the waves.
taters is fur eatin nopt surfin
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
taters is fur eatin nopt surfin
Potatoes were once grown along the coast. Before there was good land transportation, they were shipped in boats, some of which lost their loads in the shoal due to the waves.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Potatoes were once grown along the coast. Before there was good land transportation, they were shipped in boats, some of which lost their loads in the shoal due to the waves.
I heard it got its name from flyers in ww2 who flew over it and thought the sea looked like a potatoe patch
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
isnt that a bird? a type of stabilizer
"Bird" is a term for the streamlined, finned (winged) weight that is suspended from deployed trolling poles or purpose-built stabilizer poles on a boat. It's the thing that actually resists the rolling and provides the passive stabilization. Another term commonly used for the weight is "fish." I have always heard them called "birds" by the commercial fishermen I've talked to up here. And there are probably other terms, too.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #40
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I've never crossed a bar like that but have done quite a bit of reading on how to cross a bar, and after watching that video a few times, I have some questions about how to do it properly.

As I understand how to handle your boat in those waves, the best way to do it is to ride the back of the wave in front of you and avoid waves coming under your stern. Obviously, from watching that video that's how the fishing boats kept being tossed about and nearly broaching. It seemed the fishing boats didn't have enough speed/power to keep up with the waves.

My question is this...if those two boats had been able to crank out a few more knots so as to be able to ride on the backs of the waves, wouldn't they have had a much easier time of that crossing?