Old 12-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Columbia Bar

In a previous thread, someone asked what the "Columbia Bar" was? (The mouth of the Columbia River where it meets the Pacific Ocean, between Washington and Oregon.)

Below is a video of two boats crossing the "Columbia River Bar" when it's less than perfect conditions!!

Incredible video - fishing boats in rough sea - YouTube

Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
In a previous thread, someone asked what the "Columbia Bar" was? (The mouth of the Columbia River where it meets the Pacific Ocean, between Washington and Oregon.) Below is a video of two boats crossing the "Columbia River Bar" when it's less than perfect conditions!! Incredible video - fishing boats in rough sea - YouTube
Well that looks super fun, except not!

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Crossed that suckered several times on USS Pigeon and a couple times on USS Sacramento. Always exciting loosing rudder authority on a 900 foot ship and surfing the waves on a flat bottom catamaran.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
In a previous thread, someone asked what the "Columbia Bar" was? (The mouth of the Columbia River where it meets the Pacific Ocean, between Washington and Oregon.)

Below is a video of two boats crossing the "Columbia River Bar" when it's less than perfect conditions!!

Incredible video - fishing boats in rough sea - YouTube

That is not the Columbia river bar... I believe that is a entrance in New Zealand ... the CR bar is huge/wide by comparison and you cannot film from that angle or distance...

Also those boats have a flopper stopper system not used on USA boats.. and our boats are named on the bow.

Still impressive seamanship none the less.

Here is a CR bar video...

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Guru

City: Tampa
Dayum!
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #6

City: Nokomis
Good eye Hollywood. That video is labelled the Columbia River Bar on LiveLeaks, but identified as the Grey River Bar, Greymouth, New Zealand in the original.
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
:Thanks for the nightmares to come.

Marty
Bay Pelican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Video of two SMALL boats crossing Columbia R Bar
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
That's why fish is so spendy??!!

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I've been across the Columbia River Bar twice and both crossings were uneventful. The whole story to doing it safely has to do with timing your crossing with the correct tides. When you have a strong incoming tide flowing against the strong Columbia River current it gets real messy.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #11

City: Portland OR
We're in the process of moving to Portland (Oregon), and I've already been anxious about boating there and the famous/dreaded Columbia River Bar. Seeing that video raised my blood pressure about 50 points, as well as scared the living daylights out of my wife. The thought of being in those conditions doesn't seem like much fun....
Old 12-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Nick: How is Endurance getting to Portland?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
We're in the process of moving to Portland (Oregon), and I've already been anxious about boating there and the famous/dreaded Columbia River Bar. Seeing that video raised my blood pressure about 50 points, as well as scared the living daylights out of my wife. The thought of being in those conditions doesn't seem like much fun....
While the bar is notorious...it's not always that bad...the locals can best tell you the weather and swell parameters that make it safe to transit.

also for those who aren't around the waterfront a lot.....The high price of seafood is usually the "getting it to market/middleman" process...not what the fishermen get for it...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
The Bar is a force to be dealt with but is pretty predictable so for the most part not to be feared. And that video , doesn't represent the type of wave typical on the bar.... when it's bad they are MUCH bigger than that!
Good luck on your move to the PNW

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #15

Hollywood, thanks for instilling what will now be endless nightmares of towering waves swallowing my little boat.... if I told my wife that the waves can be much worse than on the video, she would insist on giving up boating. We may be river boaters for a while (too bad there isn't a canal linking the Columbia River at Portland with Puget Sound, I wonder if that has ever been thought of).

Larry, I'm still investigating how to best get Endurance out there. Right now I think our best option is transport by ship, through a company called 'Seven Seas'. I don't want to remove the flybridge and chance transport by truck, but also have trepidations about a ship. Another company, Yacht Path, went bankrupt while their ship was en route. Maritime Law being as convoluted as it seems to be, I heard that the boats on the ship were seized despite their transport having been paid for. It would be horrendous to go through something like that (a nightmare even worse than sea conditions on the bar).

We would love to take it on its own bottom through the Panama canal, it seems like it would be the trip of a lifetime. But, we really don't have the time for what I think would be a 4-6 month journey, and I'm realistic enough about my boating skills to not want to try it on our own.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Nick, when are you headed to PDX? We live about 3.5 hours (by car) up the Columbia from Portland and love boating on the Columbia and Snake Rivers. From Portland you have about 110 miles downstream to the Columbia, 230 miles upstream to our neck of the woods and 160 miles of the Snake River to explore.

Plus you get the excitement and awesome adventure of going through the locks on the Columbia and Snake Rivers.

We're taking Beachcomber down to Portland in the spring some time. If you're out there it would be my pleasure to meet up and share some lies about boating over a cool drink.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Nick-have you talked to Seven Seas about shipping? Shipping from a US port to a US port can be a real issue as the vast majority of vessels are foreign registered. Only US registered vessels can go US to US (Jones Act issues). If coming from the East Coast to the West, usually the only available ports are Ensenada or Vancouver, CA. At 39', is over-the-road a possibility?
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
That would be a wonderful trip on her bottom, but given your time constraints. . . I vote for shipping to Vancouver, BC. Bring the boat down to Bellingham or Anacortes (a day trip) and enjoy boating Puget Sound, the San Juan's and the Gulf Islands for a summer or two. We have a number of Portland (Oregon) residence with boats in out marina. We're just a 3 1/2 hour drive up the road!!

Should you decide to move the boat to Portland . . . . From Anacortes, given good weather, it's just a long weekend trip. The Columbia Bar is nothing if you choose your tide and weather.

IMHO
Larry B
Old 12-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #19

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
No need to go all the way to Vancouver. Most yacht shipping also deliver to Victoria.

jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #20

GFC, it would be great to meet up and share boating experiences/tall tales/horror stories over cool drinks. We're hoping to be in Portland sometime in the spring, I'll keep you posted.

THD, you're absolutely right, I've learned about the wonderful 'Jones Act'. Seven Seas picks up in Ft. Lauderdale FL and delivers to Victoria BC (which still means our bringing the boat down the east coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida, which is no problem, and then from Victoria to Portland.

Larry, we were hoping to do just that, spend some time in Puget Sound after delivery to Victoria. I've never boated on Puget Sound (except for a sea trial of the boat), it looks absolutely fantastic. It's the crossing the bar part to get to Portland that has me worried....

Maybe by then someone will dig a canal from Olympia to Longview? It seems that would be wonderful for pleasure boaters and allow direct access from the Columbia River to Puget Sound. It looks like the Cowlitz River is already a start, maybe just a little extension? I realize that there's probably no commercial rationale for such a project, but, it would be nice...