Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
We tried to do that with the eruption of Mount Saint Helens, but it didn't work out so well, too much silt.

Victoria BC is a beautiful city and a great starting off point. Another option is, South Puget Sound, Olympia, is only 90 minutes from Portland and has nice marinas.

Even if you don't want to make the trip yourself, you can always hire a skipper or enlist an experienced crew to assist you. Any body of water can blow up, it's all about timing, monitoring conditions and a little local knowledge, really not as bad as it sounds.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
[QUOTE=Endurance;200754]...it's the crossing the bar part to get to Portland that has me worried.... QUOTE]

As previously said with todays weather forecasting and paying attention to the winds and tides it's pretty easy. We were told by some locals on the OR/WA coast, when crossing the river bars, to remember, "flood is fine, ebb is evil". We've been down the coast twice and the advice was spot on.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #23

City: Portland OR
"Flood is fine, ebb is evil"? I thought with the Columbia River Bar, it was the opposite. I'd been told that a flood tide, opposing the river current, made for rougher conditions than the ebb. Or, does one want to enter on a flood, and depart on an ebb?

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I just crossed it back in October under the worse of conditions! First time ever! Didn't expect to bust my virgin bubble this way.

Read about it on my blog. Click the October Archives at the bottom, then the "Long Journey Home."
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
The prevailing wind/seas are on shore. With an ebb tide and strong river currents, the seas pile up at the bar making for very steep short seas. On a flood, you have the wind and tide which, will over take the outgoing current. Look at the reference in the previous post. He crossed on an ebb tide. No fun at all.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Nick, if you end up having to seriously consider over-the-road transport, let's talk. I shipped my boat from the Detroit area to Portland and I might be able to save you some headaches.

There's a boat marina/repair place in PDX that I used to reassemble the flybridge and install a bunch of other equipment. I was satisfied with the job they did but not too happy with their work schedule. They had 3 months to do the work and still ended up being 2 weeks late getting it back in the water.

That's not too untypical for boat yards these days so I wasn't too surprised or too unhappy. Part of the reason we're headed down to Portland in the spring is to have them do some work on the boat for me.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #27
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Nock-before you go with Seven Seas, check with Peters & May, you can find their website easily. They are a direct shipping agent and are well experienced in shipping yachts all over the world. We used them to bring the boat from Jupiter to Seattle via Vancouver. I know several other here and on another forum have used them as well. We were pleased, price was more than competitive (it still costs a small fortune!) and the service was very good. They may be able to get you shipped from Baltimore or Norfolk if you want to avoid the trip down to coast.

No connection to them other than a satisfied customer.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #28

GFC, thank you, but I'm trying to avoid overland transport. Every time I have done it with a boat, it has always been headaches and problems, both with the trucking, and the reassembly. I hope to never do it again in this lifetime.

THD, thank you, I'll look up Peters & May, haven't heard of them before. It is a (not so) small fortune, which is all the more reason to be careful.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #29
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Take it through the canal, c'mon! That would make a great once in a lifetime trip.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #30

It would be fun....
Old 12-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #31
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
And we could follow. Think of us poor TF members with nothing to do....Get a Spot too....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post

Maybe by then someone will dig a canal from Olympia to Longview? It seems that would be wonderful for pleasure boaters and allow direct access from the Columbia River to Puget Sound. It looks like the Cowlitz River is already a start, maybe just a little extension? I realize that there's probably no commercial rationale for such a project, but, it would be nice...

No! No! No! You can't have it. The East Coast has the ICW. The PNW has Puget Sound, all the islands, the inside passage to Alaska, snow capped mountains, whales, seals, sea otters, great fishing, and crabbing. Now you want an intracoastal waterway. It simply would not be fair.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #33
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Well when we have the big quake they've forecast and the San Andres fault separates California from the mainland, we'll have that Western ICW alright. LOL

(Unfortunately the fault line runs off shore and not under the Olympia Capital dome. We could afford to lose a few of the politicians there.)
Old 12-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #34
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
No! No! No! You can't have it. The East Coast has the ICW. The PNW has Puget Sound, all the islands, the inside passage to Alaska, snow capped mountains, whales, seals, sea otters, great fishing, and crabbing. Now you want an intracoastal waterway. It simply would not be fair.
YES YES YES, y'all will have to come over here if you want an ICW!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #35

Well, it can't hurt to wish for a little canal.... I did some rummaging around the internet, and found a book referencing an old report from the early 1930's, a feasibility study of just such a canal, to connect the Columbia River with Puget Sound(!). Obviously it was never built, I imagine it couldn't be financially justified, especially in the depression. I guess the savings of a couple of days transit for commercial traffic going between Portland and Seattle can't justify the expense and effort (but it would still be nice to avoid having to go over the Bar....).
Old 12-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

City: La Conner / Yacolt, WA
Vessel Name: Pagoo
Vessel Model: Campion 30
There was talk of the rout from the Columbia to Puget Sound during WWII. If the war would have lasted a year or two more it may have been built. It would take a hundred years to get the permit now.

Fred P...............
Fredp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #37

A couple of years ago I crewed for a skipper returning a 65ft Fedship to Portland. 10 to 12 foot seas all the way and when we got near the bar I was anxious for the experience and concerned not knowing what to expect . Big waves to left, big waves to the right but nothing to speak of on our course. After awhile the skipper says " how did you like the crossing". I was a little let down it was a total non event. Do the home work, plan for the tides and have a nice trip. Nice boat by the way.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #38
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Here's an authentic video, shot by the USCG, of the Columbia River Bar.

Day 4: Cape D Surf - YouTube

I can't figure out how to embed it but it's worth watching.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #39

Thanks a lot..... now I'm really depressed, and intimidated.....

It's fascinating to watch, but it would be much more interesting if we didn't have to face this if we ever want to leave the Columbia River. I have a lot of respect for anyone who goes over that bar...
Old 01-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
Thanks a lot..... now I'm really depressed, and intimidated.....
Just remember that the millions of boaters who were there on the nice days didn't think there was anything worth recording.

There is a sport salmon fishery at Buoy 10 that attracts gaggles of little outboard boats every season and literally thousands of sports fishermen and women and children spend most of the day bobbing around.

I worked for months on a dredge crossing that bar several times a day and never found much in the way of seas worth photographing. It is a dog with a bad reputation for barking but a prudent mariner is highly unlikely to get bit.

Salmon University fishing the ocean off Ilwaco

Here is a CG pic of a typical day on the bar during the salmon run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B10-1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	26325  

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote