Cold snap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's been a dream, probably never to be fulfilled, to follow Arctic Terns for a full year from their Arctic breeding grounds south to their Antarctic summer feeding areas, then back north to the Arctic in a single year.

Maybe the Humpbacks have it right :D

It's been a dream, probably never to be fulfilled, to follow Arctic Terns for a full year from their Arctic breeding grounds south to their Antarctic summer feeding areas, then back north to the Arctic in a single year.

Maybe the Humpbacks have it right :D

Murry,

That is a good dream. Kinda tough to execute w/out wings, but good nonetheless.

My version of that I call: Learn from the whales. Go south in the winter, go north in the spring.

Shoveled snow for 50 winters at the family cabin in the Cascades (no complaints.)

Now, 14th year wintering in Baja, no more snow! Then trawler to BC waters in the summer.

Looks like next week is real deal winter up north. Stay warm.

Saludos, Al en Baja

Last edited:
Murry,

That is a good dream. Kinda tough to execute w/out wings, but good nonetheless.

My version of that I call: Learn from the whales. Go south in the winter, go north in the spring.

Shoveled snow for 50 winters at the family cabin in the Cascades (no complaints.)

Now, 14th year wintering in Baja, no more snow! Then trawler to BC waters in the summer.

Looks like next week is real deal winter up north. Stay warm.

Saludos, Al en Baja

I'm 59 and don't mind shovelling, except for this week because of a nasty flu. My wife's shoulder doesn't work so well so I go out and work at it for 15 to 20 minutes, then come inside to recover and rest. Snowed about 3 feet in the last day or so.

Next year, we build a carport!

Been to San Patricio, Mexico? Looks like a nice spot...

Ventana,
Only trouble I’ve had is related to air in the fuel line or dirty burning re diesel fuel. Sure Marine advised me to use kerosene fuel. I now have a dedicated fuel system fueled w kero. No problems except that if I don’t start the Basto every 3-4 weeks it won’t start on the first try. So I start it every 2-3 weeks.

See pic for external fuel system details.
The tank is small (2.5 US gal) and I fill by hand. The kero is expensive (about $5.00 US gal.) But the only thing I’d change is to get a bit bigger tank.

Re the “cold snap” it’s supposta be 13f Mon. night here up hwy 20 to 25 mi.

Attachments

• 642F99A5-85F5-4AA8-B1BB-D51F0292798C.jpg
    642F99A5-85F5-4AA8-B1BB-D51F0292798C.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 50
Ventana,
Only trouble I’ve had is related to air in the fuel line or dirty burning re diesel fuel. Sure Marine advised me to use kerosene fuel. I now have a dedicated fuel system fueled w kero. No problems except that if I don’t start the Basto every 3-4 weeks it won’t start on the first try. So I start it every 2-3 weeks.

See pic for external fuel system details.
The tank is small (2.5 US gal) and I fill by hand. The kero is expensive (about $5.00 US gal.) But the only thing I’d change is to get a bit bigger tank.

Re the “cold snap” it’s supposta be 13f Mon. night here up hwy 20 to 25 mi.

Kerosene would burn cleaner, but our heater probably uses a couple hundred gallons per winter so the small tank and additional cost wouldn’t pan out for us. This heater has been warming the boat for more than 30 years, and we are really pushing it up here as liveaboards so I should probably send some good thoughts its way, or give it a winter off and head for Mexico one of these years.

Unless this shows a reverse of global warming, seems like an anticipated occurrence.

I've been up here 20 years. Honestly, I'm over it. I love the summers; not too hot and not humid. Love the myriad boating destinations too. The spot shrimp...dungeness crab...local mussels...the salmon & halibut from AK.

It's usually perfect from July 4th until Labor Day. But then, it happens. Months and months and months of gray, depressing, wet, drizzly, shitty, cold gloom. I never realized so many things could grow and support moss, mildew & mold until I moved here. Even cars/trucks grow it. It's dark at 4pm for Christ's sake! I'm done.

I have 2 more years and we're on to the land of the Phoenix for fall, winter and early spring. Leave in September...see you in May, PNW...hopefully you'll dry out by then. :socool:

Last edited:
RE localboy. I looked into moving to Phoenix as well until someone forwarded this to me:
-------------------------------
May 30th:
Just moved to Phoenix. Now this is a city that knows how to
live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! I. watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.
June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a sun worshiper.
June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.
July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat and humidity is taking longer than I expected.
July 15th:
Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body). Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.
July 20th:
I missed Morgan (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Morgan had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $2,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car now smells like Kibbles and shits. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.
July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is not working and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.
July 30th:
Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. $1,500 in damn house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?
Aug. 4th:
It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 85. Stupid repairman. I hate this stupid city.
Aug. 8th:
If another wise ass asks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!
Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and sat on the black leather seats in the ol' car. I thought my ass was on fire. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and ass. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ass, and baked cat.
Aug. 10th:
The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do **** for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week.
Doesn't it ever rain in this damn desert? Water rationing now, so my $1700 worth of cactus just dried up and blew into the damn pool. Even the cactus can't live in this damn heat.
Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL!!! Temperature got to 115 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1500 house payment to bail me out of jail.
Freaking Phoenix. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here?

Been to San Patricio, Mexico? Looks like a nice spot...
No, I have not, if you mean the one on the mainland. Looks like a nice place, not sure what the winters are like there.

I am mostly a Baja sur guy in the winter. We went out sailing for a couple days this week on Bahia de Conception, was good. Backed the little Compact 21 up to the beach and stepped off in 18" water.

The cabin my dad built had an upstairs door about 12 feet above ground level. There were a few winters we walked (skiis) straight in. Dug down to get to the outhouse and front door, but all that snow kept it warm inside once we got the fire going, cleared the stack.

Looks like a series of strong storms heading into the PNW over the next week.

No, I have not, if you mean the one on the mainland. Looks like a nice place, not sure what the winters are like there.

I am mostly a Baja sur guy in the winter. We went out sailing for a couple days this week on Bahia de Conception, was good. Backed the little Compact 21 up to the beach and stepped off in 18" water.

The cabin my dad built had an upstairs door about 12 feet above ground level. There were a few winters we walked (skiis) straight in. Dug down to get to the outhouse and front door, but all that snow kept it warm inside once we got the fire going, cleared the stack.

Looks like a series of strong storms heading into the PNW over the next week.

We took a short trip to Puerto Vallarta and Bucerias, but I'd like a slower pace for the next trip. Quite a few small towns dotting the coast.

Your cabin sounds great. Life changing for a kid.

I'm finally shaking the flu off a bit, so I'm heading down to Badger to set things up for the cold snap, and the forecasted winds are back up to 50 knots.

Like you and your cabin, I won't be shovelling all the snow off the decks and pilothouse roof...a ready made convective heat loss strategy :thumb: You can always tell newcomers to town when they shovel their house roof right to the shingles :D

Local Boy, you are just living in the wrong part of Washington, move to Whidby Island (there is actually a small "desert" roughly in the middle) and live in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains. And great places to live. If you are artsy fartsy, Coupeville, if military oriented - Oak Harbour, a deep introvert, anywhere in the middle of the island. Long for the big city, Clinton.

Seems like bit of thread drift is in order. It was mentioned that not shoveling snow provides insulation. How many folks here use that reasoning?
I’m all for less shoveling, our KK42 doesn’t seem to mind the extra weight, but the boat isn’t insulated all that well. Being liveaboards means we are keeping the interior livable, the heat is seeping out, melting snow, and covering the boat with an ever-increasing sheet of ice. The icicles are pretty..........

Seems like bit of thread drift is in order. It was mentioned that not shoveling snow provides insulation. How many folks here use that reasoning?
I’m all for less shoveling, our KK42 doesn’t seem to mind the extra weight, but the boat isn’t insulated all that well. Being liveaboards means we are keeping the interior livable, the heat is seeping out, melting snow, and covering the boat with an ever-increasing sheet of ice. The icicles are pretty..........

Sounds like you'd want to clear snow off pretty quick as your boat is probably quite a bit warmer than ours.

Our boat isn't a live aboard, so we have the heaters set for 10C (50F) and melting on the decks isn't much of a problem at all.

My reasoning is; any insulating layer (even snow) between bare fibreglass and 50 knot -23C winds is going to reduce convective heat loss :thumb:

Gs, yes summer there can be oppressive. Hence our “plan” to escape back to the PNW for summers. Hopefully, we can find the proper trawler to live on for those months. A Monk 36 would be perfect.

We are looking to move to the Tucson area. Higher elevation than Phoenix (~3,000 ft) and thus about 10F cooler than the valley. I’m not a golfer but I need sun.

Tuesday will be the coldest day here next week, at least according to the latest forecasts. High of 31F. Low of 21F. Me no likey...

Last edited:
"Being liveaboards means we are keeping the interior livable, the heat is seeping out, melting snow, and covering the boat with an ever-increasing sheet of ice. The icicles are pretty.........."

If the snow is melting enough to melt from the escaping heat , its not very cold , or the spring thaw has come.

Melting snow will have water between the snow and boat , which makes it easier to simply push off in large sheets. If its that warm your deck wash can then remove every bit .

It's 63 in Boston today and was 60 yesterday!! People are going crazy here! This is Florida temps for us

We are looking to move to the Tucson area. Higher elevation than Phoenix (~3,000 ft) and thus about 10F cooler than the valley. I’m not a golfer but I need sun....

The Tucson area is el 2600 while where we live in Carefree is 2400 ft. Carefree is about 30 miles north of downtown Phoenix, cooler, wetter and higher. Beware the extremely high property tax in Tucson. Overall Tucson property etc taxes rival SoCal and are about 3X what we pay.

It hit 61 in upstate NY yesterday. Prior to the rain starting and the wind picking up I was wishing the boat were in the water...

"Being liveaboards means we are keeping the interior livable, the heat is seeping out, melting snow, and covering the boat with an ever-increasing sheet of ice. The icicles are pretty.........."

If the snow is melting enough to melt from the escaping heat , its not very cold , or the spring thaw has come.

Melting snow will have water between the snow and boat , which makes it easier to simply push off in large sheets. If its that warm your deck wash can then remove every bit .

I’m not sure what your point is. Our temps are in the single digits, the harbor is frozen over, why would anyone think using a deckwash is the right solution???

Weather wise: The perfect place is multiple locations

From all the reports everyone gave it looks like the ideal place is:

Florida in the winter and the Pacific Northwest in the summer.

I wish the Panama Canal was closer..

Back
Top Bottom