Old 01-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #1

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Cold snap

It looks like an unusual cold snap is forecast for lower Vancouver Island early next week. One model predicts two nights at 13 deg F (-10 deg C). Will be interesting to see how cold it gets on the water. The boat should be OK....Fortunately, I can turn off the dehumidifier remotely. They don't like very cold temperatures. Last year we got a foot of snow (unusual for Victoria) and a boat burned down close to us. Never a dull moment.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Yes, we are watching the weather forecasts closely. The weather maps showed some snow in the area this morning. Expecting the water to be turned off at any time so keeping the tank full as that will probably last 10 days or more. Bought a styrofoam cover for the faucet on the forward deck. The engine room stays nice and warm with the diesel heater running so no worries there. But slippery docks are no fun!!
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Supposed to drop to -23C (-9F) here next week, with 50 knot northerly outflow winds. That’s c-c-cold for Kitimat!

As a letter carrier I monitor temperature this way...

moustache freezes, it’s getting cold,

eyelashes freeze, it’s pretty cold,

but when hairs inside nose freeze when inhaling through nose, it’s dang cold!!!!
Old 01-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
The 10 day forecast is also calling for some snow, around 6" during mid week. The worst variable for us in Bellingham is the NE arctic wind that comes down from BC. With temps maybe in the teens and lots of wind, the chill factor is very low and it's hard to stay warm.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Supposed to drop to -23C (-9F) here next week, with 50 knot northerly outflow winds. That’s c-c-cold for Kitimat!

As a letter carrier I monitor temperature this way...

moustache freezes, it’s getting cold,

eyelashes freeze, it’s pretty cold,

but when hairs inside nose freeze when inhaling through nose, it’s dang cold!!!!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Okay, I public acknowledge I am lazy and for some reason this seemed to have bothered a person or two here, I'm kind of like Rick Gervais - I don't care.... lol! My hats off to all the lazy people who have made my life easier, the guy who invented the electric fridge because he got tired of hauling ice, the guy who invented 4 wheel drive, and the list could go on endlessly. Lazy people rule.

So I have owned other home machines like lawn mowers, weed whackers, etc. and gas problems have always been an issue. Yes I used fuel stabilizers. I also owned a couple of old technology cordless lawn mowers and weed wackers that were garbage, the lawn mower worked great as long as the grass was short, but any lapse of diligence on my part (did I say I was lazy?) resulted in longer grass, and an unpleasant lawn mowing experience.

So there I am sitting in my house coat drinking my favourite Creekmore coffee watching my wife shovel one of the many dumps of snow we had in 2019, and even though lazy I thought, this isn't right. I said I was lazy but I can still experience guilt. So I googled cordless snowblowers and came up with the Ego line (lithium batteries for you battery freaks).

I will confess I was nervous after experiencing crap technology in earlier lawn mowers and realizing snow would be harder on the machine than long grass. Also our snow can be wet and miserable. But being a proper sexist, I didn't want my wife shovelling and making me look .... (wait for it).... lazy! [Jack Knox is my hero]

So I went and purchased an Ego snowblower with some trepidation and a willingness to find out how good the return policy was at Home Depot (Nanaimo). And, it was love at first bite. For the amount of snow we get, its just about the perfect machine.

I have provided two links below, in the first link the guy ends up owning an extensive line of Ego products, same thing happened to me. Now I own the lawnmower (works well even in longer grass), the leaf blower - I love this unit, no friggin cords and no bad gas issues, and weed wacker, same gas comment.

So the gist of this is that once I bought my snowblower I joked to my friends and neighbours that I pretty much guaranteed there were would be no snow for the next five years. But you know what, I secretly yearn for a major dump or two in this upcoming cold snap, bring it on. I even do the driveway of my next door neighbour, a mother in her 90's and a daughter in her late 70's. But wait a minute, you are thinking this is a noble act, not worthy of a slothful laggart and I agree completely. A confession, I do it because I love running the snowblower - who would have thought?

Ego video one propaganda: [click on "watch on Youtube" I downloaded the Youtube link but it doesn't work for some reason]

Ego video two propaganda:

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
This is why people move to Arizona...
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
This is why people move to Arizona...
Wuss
Old 01-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Key West is low of 73 and high of 80 degrees for the next 10 days! Just in case you wanted to know . . .
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I've found it takes a few days of really cold weather to make a difference in the boat in the water. Powell River has some of the street drain culverts empty into our harbour which creates a layer of fresh water on top of the sea water. It takes quite a few days of subzero (C) temperatures to freeze over.

I have a Caframo Pali heater in the engine room, so I sleep soundly away from my boat. I doubt it comes on often. It is CSA and UL approved.

https://www.stevestonmarine.com/cafr...ge-300t-9510ca

I am headed back to work now. Supposed to have a high of -24 this week. Lows in the -30s.

It will be much colder with wind-chill.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Although we're all the way down here in the Banana Belt of Port Townsend, we are prepping for the coming weather (which will not be as bad as you guys will get up north). We are 3-4 days out from a full holding tank, so we went and pumped out this afternoon while there wasn't even a wisp of wind. Topped off the fresh water tank, too. I'll top off every few days in the event our dock pipes freeze.

I'm also in the process of writing the script for a video installing our new Wallas Spartan diesel heater. Hope to get the heater installed and working by the weekend. Nonetheless we've got extra heaters on board.

Stay warm up there, eh?
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Wuss

You say wuss...I say smart. Life's too short to be miserable.

May thru August in the PNW...then we are O.U.T. That's the plan, anyway.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #13

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Our Webasto crapped out last Friday, so we have been without our main heat source up until today. Last few days have been snow, snow and more snow, cancelled some flights including the one with my heater parts on it. It stopped snowing this afternoon about the time the wind started picking up, it’s blowing about 25 right now, forecast to increase to about 40, and the temp is dropping. Teens and single digit temps for the next week, so we should be thoroughly frozen in in the next day or so. Mexico is sounding pretty good right now.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Forecast in Tarpon Springs, FL for the next 3 days has highs in the upper 70s and lows in the 60s, and no rain.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #15

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
"I've found it takes a few days of really cold weather to make a difference in the boat in the water."

I'm hoping that is the case too but when I look up the air temperature online it is precisely the same temperature my camera measures on the back deck. Current weather forecast is for 5 days of snow next week. That should provide some insulation, right?
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #16

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Forecast in Tarpon Springs, FL for the next 3 days has highs in the upper 70s and lows in the 60s, and no rain.

Ted
St James city, highs in the low 80s for the next 5 days. But windy for the next 2 days.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Our Webasto crapped out last Friday, so we have been without our main heat source up until today. Last few days have been snow, snow and more snow, cancelled some flights including the one with my heater parts on it. It stopped snowing this afternoon about the time the wind started picking up, it’s blowing about 25 right now, forecast to increase to about 40, and the temp is dropping. Teens and single digit temps for the next week, so we should be thoroughly frozen in in the next day or so. Mexico is sounding pretty good right now.
Stripper,
That’s very unusual for Sitka.
What’s wrong w the Basto?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #18
Guru

This little guy stays up here (and into Alaska and the Yukon) all year long, surviving -40F nights. Gnarly tough!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...nglet/overview
Old 01-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #19

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Stripper,
That’s very unusual for Sitka.
What’s wrong w the Basto?
It has been an odd winter so far. Harbor has been frozen pretty regularly, and this much snow in a short period of time means our schools have been closed the past few days because they can’t remove snow fast enough to make it safe at the bus stops. First snow days in about 15 years I guess.
Our Webasto always seems to have something wrong, this time the drive motor went out. It does a good job of keeping the boat livable so I keep throwing parts at it.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #20
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
Sure, sure.....Rub it in Ted
Normally we don't get much if any snow here on BC's southern coastal area, and our normal temperature range for the winter is night time low of 34-35 degrees F and daytime highs around 42-46 F. We do get a lot of rain in the winter with usually a bit less in the spring and fall
We very rarely get overnight lows as low as upper teens or low twenties, so this forecast is bad news for us
I know, all of you in areas like Florida are really worried about us