Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bill Ranson's Avatar
 
City: Deltaville, VA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 116
Cold Galvanizing Compound

This spray product made by Rustoleum contains 93% lead. I was told it is the exact formula as Petit Barnacle Barrier. I am thinking of using it to coat my thruster prop. Any experience with this product?
__________________
Advertisement

Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ranson View Post
This spray product made by Rustoleum contains 93% lead. I was told it is the exact formula as Petit Barnacle Barrier. I am thinking of using it to coat my thruster prop. Any experience with this product?

I have no experience with the Rustoleum product, but the Petit stuff has worked very well for me on all the running gear for the past number of years.
__________________

BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Boydski's Avatar
 
City: Olympia, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ranson View Post
This spray product made by Rustoleum contains 93% lead. I was told it is the exact formula as Petit Barnacle Barrier.
According to the MSDS sheet for Pettit Barnacle Buster, it is 30-50% zinc.

I used it on my main propeller for this past year and the prop stayed clean. I forgot to coat my wing engine prop and as you can see below, it didn't fair quite as well!



After One year in the water, main prop is relatively clean. The folding prop, not so much.
__________________
Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Yes Please, Grand Banks Eastbay
Sea Eagle, Nordhavn 47 (sold)
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,447
Hey Boyd, did you ever run your wing engine? I imagine you spun up your main wheel lots but the wing engine, not so much?
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Boydski's Avatar
 
City: Olympia, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Hey Boyd, did you ever run your wing engine? I imagine you spun up your main wheel lots but the wing engine, not so much?
I did run it occasionally , but obviously, not enough. When I dove under the boat last month to check it out, the Gori folding prop was stuck open and wouldn't close.
__________________
Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Yes Please, Grand Banks Eastbay
Sea Eagle, Nordhavn 47 (sold)
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
dwhatty's Avatar
 
City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,732
Does lead repel barnacles? The Pettit product has done well for our Northerly climate boat's prop. Dunno about lead. And which is worse for the environment?
__________________
David Hawkins
Deer Isle, Maine
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
Guru
 
rochepoint's Avatar
 
City: Sidney BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,191
According to their website it says 93% Zinc, word "lead" maybe was in error.
RustOleum.com
__________________
Cheers Mike Barge
MV Rochepoint
Sidney, British Columbia.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Boydski's Avatar
 
City: Olympia, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
According to their website it says 93% Zinc, word "lead" maybe was in error.
RustOleum.com

I think both products are very similar. The Rustoleum is 50% zinc in the can and claim it's 93% zinc once the coating dries. Pettite claims the dried coating is the "highest possible zinc concentration". I bet that's 93%.
__________________
Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Yes Please, Grand Banks Eastbay
Sea Eagle, Nordhavn 47 (sold)
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydski View Post
I think both products are very similar. The Rustoleum is 50% zinc in the can and claim it's 93% zinc once the coating dries. Pettite claims the dried coating is the "highest possible zinc concentration". I bet that's 93%.

I'm willing to bet they are the exact same product with different labels.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,709
I've used the Petit product on my anchor and it works very well. No loss of rust protection in 12 (or so) anchorings. I'm amazed that it didn't rub of anchoring but it didn't.
Just receintly I put it on my prop but obviously there's nothing to report as I haven't seen the prop since.
I don't like the sprayer on the can though as it drools all over my hand and drips a lot.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,882
My experiences have been that neither does a lot where my boat is. I am in a heavy fouling area and the prop is only turned once a month or so when I am not cruising.

my other experiences with cold galvanizing is it seems to adhere to some surfaces well and others it can be rubbed right off. My initial stab is the surface has to be squeaky clean and rugged up a bit...like regular paint but it seems shame to do that with galvanizing...you would think it would stick like hot dipped.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bill Ranson's Avatar
 
City: Deltaville, VA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 116
The reason I asked is that the Rustoleum product is $7.50 and the Petit product is $36.00.
I have used the Petit Product on my prop and had good results like Baltimore but I have not found anyone in my marina that has any experience with the Petit or the Rustoleum.

Appreciate your response Baltimore.
Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #13
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,095
When my boat was lifted last month, the prop was fine (protected with prop speed), but the stainless keel shoe was completely covered in barnacles.
I wasn't sure how Propspeed would stick to stainless, so I gave it a couple coats with a $8 can of zinc spray. It may not stick either, but for the cost it was worth a try.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bill Ranson's Avatar
 
City: Deltaville, VA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 116
Yes it is zinc not lead...my mistake. Thanks to everybody for you feedback.
Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #15
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My experiences have been that neither does a lot where my boat is. I am in a heavy fouling area and the prop is only turned once a month or so when I am not cruising.

my other experiences with cold galvanizing is it seems to adhere to some surfaces well and others it can be rubbed right off. My initial stab is the surface has to be squeaky clean and rugged up a bit...like regular paint but it seems shame to do that with galvanizing...you would think it would stick like hot dipped.

How about your assistance boat? What do they run on it?
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #16
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
When my boat was lifted last month, the prop was fine (protected with prop speed), but the stainless keel shoe was completely covered in barnacles.
I wasn't sure how Propspeed would stick to stainless, so I gave it a couple coats with a $8 can of zinc spray. It may not stick either, but for the cost it was worth a try.
Good decision,I wanted propspeed on props, shafts, and skegs, yard said it only works on things that move/spin. We left the skegs,which foul with barnacles despite coats of hard a/f. If you get a good result from zinc spray on the shoe, can you remember to post it, when you know.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #17
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
How about your assistance boat? What do they run on it?
Nothing....it runs s so much it stays clean until really late fall or winter..then it isn't used much until it gets its annual overhaul.

In the summer not much sticks to the prop anyway.

The boat draws about 22 inches and I routinely plow through 18 inches of sand and mud.

I would say the boat is intentionally grounded 100 times a year and unintentionally grounded 50 times a year. Not much marine growth can get a to hold or survive the constant wear and tear if all the dragging and sandblasting.

The bad news is we only get a few years out of cutlets bearings and the prop gets reconditioned every year or so.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
Newbie
 
City: East Falmouth, MA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: GLORY DAYS
Vessel Model: Mainship 430 trawler 2005
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
I've heard from many sources that the Rustoleum product works really well. The question I have is has anybody tried a primer such a zinc chromate first? If so has it prevented it from "rubbing off"?
JoeApicella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #19
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Nothing....it runs s so much it stays clean until really late fall or winter..then it isn't used much until it gets its annual overhaul.



In the summer not much sticks to the prop anyway.



The boat draws about 22 inches and I routinely plow through 18 inches of sand and mud.



I would say the boat is intentionally grounded 100 times a year and unintentionally grounded 50 times a year. Not much marine growth can get a to hold or survive the constant wear and tear if all the dragging and sandblasting.



The bad news is we only get a few years out of cutlets bearings and the prop gets reconditioned every year or so.

Thanks for that
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #20
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,709
Joe,
I didn't use a primer on my anchors and it didn't rub off. Read the info on the can. If they said to use a primer I would have. I find primers are more often than not very helpful on metal. I would remember that though.

As to any painting clean and sand as per what it says on the can. They don't sell paint as a product to try and figure out how to use it.

As both products are heavily laden w zinc it's a good question though.
__________________

__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012