Old 04-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #1

City: Deltaville, VA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
Cold Galvanizing Compound

This spray product made by Rustoleum contains 93% lead. I was told it is the exact formula as Petit Barnacle Barrier. I am thinking of using it to coat my thruster prop. Any experience with this product?
Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ranson View Post
This spray product made by Rustoleum contains 93% lead. I was told it is the exact formula as Petit Barnacle Barrier. I am thinking of using it to coat my thruster prop. Any experience with this product?

I have no experience with the Rustoleum product, but the Petit stuff has worked very well for me on all the running gear for the past number of years.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ranson View Post
This spray product made by Rustoleum contains 93% lead. I was told it is the exact formula as Petit Barnacle Barrier.
According to the MSDS sheet for Pettit Barnacle Buster, it is 30-50% zinc.

I used it on my main propeller for this past year and the prop stayed clean. I forgot to coat my wing engine prop and as you can see below, it didn't fair quite as well!

After One year in the water, main prop is relatively clean. The folding prop, not so much.
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Hey Boyd, did you ever run your wing engine? I imagine you spun up your main wheel lots but the wing engine, not so much?
Old 04-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Hey Boyd, did you ever run your wing engine? I imagine you spun up your main wheel lots but the wing engine, not so much?
I did run it occasionally , but obviously, not enough. When I dove under the boat last month to check it out, the Gori folding prop was stuck open and wouldn't close.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Does lead repel barnacles? The Pettit product has done well for our Northerly climate boat's prop. Dunno about lead. And which is worse for the environment?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
According to their website it says 93% Zinc, word "lead" maybe was in error.
RustOleum.com
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
According to their website it says 93% Zinc, word "lead" maybe was in error.
RustOleum.com

I think both products are very similar. The Rustoleum is 50% zinc in the can and claim it's 93% zinc once the coating dries. Pettite claims the dried coating is the "highest possible zinc concentration". I bet that's 93%.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydski View Post
I think both products are very similar. The Rustoleum is 50% zinc in the can and claim it's 93% zinc once the coating dries. Pettite claims the dried coating is the "highest possible zinc concentration". I bet that's 93%.

I'm willing to bet they are the exact same product with different labels.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've used the Petit product on my anchor and it works very well. No loss of rust protection in 12 (or so) anchorings. I'm amazed that it didn't rub of anchoring but it didn't.
Just receintly I put it on my prop but obviously there's nothing to report as I haven't seen the prop since.
I don't like the sprayer on the can though as it drools all over my hand and drips a lot.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My experiences have been that neither does a lot where my boat is. I am in a heavy fouling area and the prop is only turned once a month or so when I am not cruising.

my other experiences with cold galvanizing is it seems to adhere to some surfaces well and others it can be rubbed right off. My initial stab is the surface has to be squeaky clean and rugged up a bit...like regular paint but it seems shame to do that with galvanizing...you would think it would stick like hot dipped.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #12

The reason I asked is that the Rustoleum product is $7.50 and the Petit product is $36.00.
I have used the Petit Product on my prop and had good results like Baltimore but I have not found anyone in my marina that has any experience with the Petit or the Rustoleum.

Appreciate your response Baltimore.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #13
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
When my boat was lifted last month, the prop was fine (protected with prop speed), but the stainless keel shoe was completely covered in barnacles.
I wasn't sure how Propspeed would stick to stainless, so I gave it a couple coats with a $8 can of zinc spray. It may not stick either, but for the cost it was worth a try.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #14

Yes it is zinc not lead...my mistake. Thanks to everybody for you feedback.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My experiences have been that neither does a lot where my boat is. I am in a heavy fouling area and the prop is only turned once a month or so when I am not cruising.

my other experiences with cold galvanizing is it seems to adhere to some surfaces well and others it can be rubbed right off. My initial stab is the surface has to be squeaky clean and rugged up a bit...like regular paint but it seems shame to do that with galvanizing...you would think it would stick like hot dipped.

How about your assistance boat? What do they run on it?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 04-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
When my boat was lifted last month, the prop was fine (protected with prop speed), but the stainless keel shoe was completely covered in barnacles.
I wasn't sure how Propspeed would stick to stainless, so I gave it a couple coats with a $8 can of zinc spray. It may not stick either, but for the cost it was worth a try.
Good decision,I wanted propspeed on props, shafts, and skegs, yard said it only works on things that move/spin. We left the skegs,which foul with barnacles despite coats of hard a/f. If you get a good result from zinc spray on the shoe, can you remember to post it, when you know.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:15 AM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
How about your assistance boat? What do they run on it?
Nothing....it runs s so much it stays clean until really late fall or winter..then it isn't used much until it gets its annual overhaul.

In the summer not much sticks to the prop anyway.

The boat draws about 22 inches and I routinely plow through 18 inches of sand and mud.

I would say the boat is intentionally grounded 100 times a year and unintentionally grounded 50 times a year. Not much marine growth can get a to hold or survive the constant wear and tear if all the dragging and sandblasting.

The bad news is we only get a few years out of cutlets bearings and the prop gets reconditioned every year or so.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: East Falmouth, MA
Vessel Name: GLORY DAYS
Vessel Model: 2007 MAINSHIP PILOT 43
I've heard from many sources that the Rustoleum product works really well. The question I have is has anybody tried a primer such a zinc chromate first? If so has it prevented it from "rubbing off"?
JoeApicella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Nothing....it runs s so much it stays clean until really late fall or winter..then it isn't used much until it gets its annual overhaul.

In the summer not much sticks to the prop anyway.

The boat draws about 22 inches and I routinely plow through 18 inches of sand and mud.

I would say the boat is intentionally grounded 100 times a year and unintentionally grounded 50 times a year. Not much marine growth can get a to hold or survive the constant wear and tear if all the dragging and sandblasting.

The bad news is we only get a few years out of cutlets bearings and the prop gets reconditioned every year or so.

Thanks for that

Old 04-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Joe,
I didn't use a primer on my anchors and it didn't rub off. Read the info on the can. If they said to use a primer I would have. I find primers are more often than not very helpful on metal. I would remember that though.

As to any painting clean and sand as per what it says on the can. They don't sell paint as a product to try and figure out how to use it.

As both products are heavily laden w zinc it's a good question though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote