Old 07-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Grand Vizier

Coastal Explorer 4.0 question

Can't say I like this upgrade, but CE is still pretty wonderful. One thing I can't figure out, and would appreciate info from other users, but I can get Active Captain or CE comments from other skippers to reliably display. I can't figure out why. Each is selected as a data source for "Places". Anyone with any ideas?

Old 07-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Garmin announced a few months ago that due to the European security rules, they were revamping their Active Captain database. AFAIK they have not released the interface specs to any third party developers. So no one can get Active Captain updates now.

Can't say why CE comments won't display. Maybe they are having to revamp their database to comply as well.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Garmin announced a few months ago that due to the European security rules, they were revamping their Active Captain database. AFAIK they have not released the interface specs to any third party developers. So no one can get Active Captain updates now.

Can't say why CE comments won't display. Maybe they are having to revamp their database to comply as well.

David
Thanks David, CE isn't sure what's going on either.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
The last upgrade of CE included all the AC stuff......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
The last upgrade of CE included all the AC stuff......

Correct. I haven't tried it personally because I no longer use AC, but CE was among the first to adopt the new AC interface and get it all working again. You probably just need the latest update.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Correct. I haven't tried it personally because I no longer use AC, but CE was among the first to adopt the new AC interface and get it all working again. You probably just need the latest update.
I have used it and it works just fine.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
Grand Vizier

Quote:
I have used it and it works just fine.
Interesting. I had CE do a remote and they can't figure out why the AC data doesn't show up.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Interesting. I had CE do a remote and they can't figure out why the AC data doesn't show up.
Give CE a call. They are very helpful in helping you figure out issues like this.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
While we are on the topic, I don’t like the new method with CE 4.0 for putting in a route. I use the quick route method, but I get a screen on the left hand side that shows waypoints and it takes up too much room and I loose too much of the chart. I find the process much slower than before. Any suggestions on this?
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
JD,

On the bottom of the screen where you see the "New" button, when you hit it there are two options for route, on the left you see "Route" and on the right you see "Quick". The "Quick" is the simple way to do a route without the information window coming up.

My Active Captain works fine after the update.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
4.0 definitely takes some getting used to, but I've come to like it except for a few things. As I think Jim pointed out, a few of the information windows like the one that shows all the waypoints for a route are much less compact than they were in 3.0, and I find that makes them a lot harder to use. But I have mostly adapted as this point.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #12
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
While we are on the topic, I don’t like the new method with CE 4.0 for putting in a route. I use the quick route method, but I get a screen on the left hand side that shows waypoints and it takes up too much room and I loose too much of the chart. I find the process much slower than before. Any suggestions on this?
Jim, you can drag the right hand margin of that window to the left a fair bit to reduce it. Quick route shouldn't launch it, but as soon as you add waypoints to the end of the route, it pops up. On a separate topic, we are on our way to Haida Gwaii, with your very kind trip notes in hand.

Still can't get Active Captain notes to show up, but perhaps I'll figure it out later, or CE will. They, like me, are stumped.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
Guru

Have a great trip north! Wish I was coming!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #14
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
I still have the previous version on my "standby" laptop and the big difference which confounds me is the lack of an "instrument" displaying time of arrival at destination. The "ETA" display is gor the next waypoint. Similarly, "DTG" is calculated to destination while "TTG" is to the next waypoint. I have tried the list of instruments to no avail; am i missing something?

Still love the program, and I am certainly capable of doing an 8-knot calculation in my head, but why would they remove this useful function?
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
I still have the previous version on my "standby" laptop and the big difference which confounds me is the lack of an "instrument" displaying time of arrival at destination. The "ETA" display is gor the next waypoint. Similarly, "DTG" is calculated to destination while "TTG" is to the next waypoint. I have tried the list of instruments to no avail; am i missing something?

Still love the program, and I am certainly capable of doing an 8-knot calculation in my head, but why would they remove this useful function?
Select Route Monitor from the instrument list.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #16
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
<<Route Monitor>>

Well of course, Route Monitor! How blind of me to not see that.

I've installed it, but at dockside in Sitka, it's not saying much. Still doesn't address the DTG/TTG discontinuity.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #17

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
4.0 definitely takes some getting used to, but I've come to like it except for a few things. As I think Jim pointed out, a few of the information windows like the one that shows all the waypoints for a route are much less compact than they were in 3.0, and I find that makes them a lot harder to use. But I have mostly adapted as this point.

I, too took issue with real estate distribution on the main screen in v4, it was a real annoyance since I liked it just the way it was. There are undocumented tools to change the size of the instruments, call them at CE, they'll help you out. I was on the phone a couple minutes, problem solved. You may also find some pointers on the CE net forum.

Don't shortchange the "screens" function, there is a LOT of functionality in being able to develop customized screens to include tools you use frequently.
Maerin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
Guru

Coastal Explorer 4.0 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Well of course, Route Monitor! How blind of me to not see that.

I've installed it, but at dockside in Sitka, it's not saying much. Still doesn't address the DTG/TTG discontinuity.

You can also right-click on the route and “show details”. You can then play around with vessel speed to see how that changes your ETA at waypoints. I’m not a big fan of the new “route details” window. I much preferred the old route details pane, which displayed each waypoint as a single line.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Jim, you can drag the right hand margin of that window to the left a fair bit to reduce it. Quick route shouldn't launch it, but as soon as you add waypoints to the end of the route, it pops up. On a separate topic, we are on our way to Haida Gwaii, with your very kind trip notes in hand.

Still can't get Active Captain notes to show up, but perhaps I'll figure it out later, or CE will. They, like me, are stumped.
On AC are you selecting the upside down tear drop thingeeeee?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #20
Grand Vizier

Quote:
On AC are you selecting the upside down tear drop thingeeeee?
What upside down teardrop thingie? Where the heck is that? When I had CE support remote in, they did what I did - check the box for AC in "Places", but it sounds like there is someplace else I need to go. Any help is appreciated....