Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Mention you have a Bayliner, even a large one like mine and some uninformed ding a ling will slam your boat for no other reason than brand bias.
That won't be me!

As I wrote, some time ago, I did a little cruising (open water) in my buddy's 4588 and was pleasantly surprised as to how the boat handled the sea. It was also extremely comfortable with a great layout.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
KS

Most serious boaters know the Bayliner story and TT's as well. I am amazed as to how many Bayliners are present in the PNW. A trip to the dry storage yard in Anacortes looks like Bayliner heaven.

I've a dockmate with a Meridian (4788 ripoff) who talks about the advantages of his pilothouse design vs my 3 cabin DeFever. When we are side by side though my helm chair is eyeball with his and my ER is walk in. So there!

I would love a walk in engine room!

When boat looking the best engine room we saw was on a Defever 49. VERY few boats in that size range have a stand up (abet stooping, some)engine room. The Defever is a great design!

I can get to all sides of my engines, but its a hands and knees affair. No fun.

Personally I did not see any advantage of the 4788/490 Meridian over the Defevers. Nothing at all.

If we go back to my very first post here on TF I think I was asking about the Defever 49.

Another boat I love is the Hatteras 48 LRC. Great boat.

Part of our decision on the Bayliner was availibility of a pristine example. There are lots of marginally maintained boats, at "high" prices on the market but finding a good one on the west coast proved to be more difficult.

The Bayliner worked for us because of market availibility, and it had the features we wanted.

When one needing a repower came on the market for a rightous price, it was downhill from there. new engines took away one of my mr big bill fears.

BTW, I don't consider either the Defever or the Hatteras LRC to be Coastal Cruisers. Long before Nordhavn existed Defevers and Hatteras LRCs were crossing oceans.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Long before Nordhavn existed Defevers and Hatteras LRCs were crossing oceans.
Late last spring we ran into some friends while in Ketchikan. They own a DeFever 46. They had just completed their run from Seattle up the Inside Passage to Icy Strait, to Dutch Harbor, back down around the outside of POW Island and then into Ketchikan. I guess about 4500 miles RT. Their biggest fears were secure anchorages while waiting out storms. Intrepid they are, but very weather savvy too.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
A very wealthy friend of mine is about to go trawler from sailing...he is eyeballin an uper 40's Meridian...I suggested Fleming and he wasn't impressed for the money versus the Meridian.

I have to laugh at people who push or are so proud of "expensive" boats but don't even come close to getting their money's worth out of them in terms of using them...just the bragging rights (if anyone is really listening to them)...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't really intend this to be a boat brand discussion, but thanks for all the support guys!

The real intent here is to let people that read this, many being prospective trawler purchasers know that there is a whole world of cruising out there that doesn't require a 3/4 million dollar passagemaker.

Personally I would have no problem taking my boat anywhere along any coastline. I would also be willing to make open water passages up to about 48 hours, which is in my opinion the extent of reliable weather prediction.

That opens up allot of areas that many people think you need a passagemaker to get to. It also allows many more people to dream the cruising dream and actually do it.

I am honest with myself. We've led a good life, but I am not and will not be able to ever afford 3/4 of a million, or even 1/2 million on a boat. Not and retire while I still have my health. Not and still retain my land based home.

But the cruising dream isn't out of reach, just because of this. We can all cruise almost anywhere in the boats we have... safely, and comfortably.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Mention you have a Bayliner, even a large one like mine and some uninformed ding a ling will slam your boat for no other reason than brand bias.
What??

That never happens. Sea Ray owners just think the Baysinkers are wonderful boats, just ask one on the CSR thread!!! Scooter Wayne maybe.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Didn't really intend this to be a boat brand discussion, but thanks for all the support guys!

The real intent here is to let people that read this, many being prospective trawler purchasers know that there is a whole world of cruising out there that doesn't require a 3/4 million dollar passagemaker.

Personally I would have no problem taking my boat anywhere along any coastline. I would also be willing to make open water passages up to about 48 hours, which is in my opinion the extent of reliable weather prediction.

That opens up allot of areas that many people think you need a passagemaker to get to. It also allows many more people to dream the cruising dream and actually do it.

I am honest with myself. We've led a good life, but I am not and will not be able to ever afford 3/4 of a million, or even 1/2 million on a boat. Not and retire while I still have my health. Not and still retain my land based home.

But the cruising dream isn't out of reach, just because of this. We can all cruise almost anywhere in the boats we have... safely, and comfortably.
Hey KS,

It might not be too long and you could cruise up to Barrow!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
when asked how to survive really bad weather he answered "I'm not sure, I've really never been in any"...
That might be what S.I. Hayakawa called a "positive inferential non statement."

It could mean he has never been on a boat while it was exposed to "really bad weather" or, he may have - like the Bounty captain - not realized how close to the edge he may have been in weather that he did not worry too much about.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
That might be what S.I. Hayakawa called a "positive inferential non statement."

It could mean he has never been on a boat while it was exposed to "really bad weather" or, he may have - like the Bounty captain - not realized how close to the edge he may have been in weather that he did not worry too much about.
Naw...he knows...he has had it scared out of him I'm sure at least in other ways...

His first trawler hit an uncharted rock pinnacle in AK and sank....that's the kind of stuff that keeps your eyes open!!!

I don't have global eperience but enough to stay out of even a moderate chop these days...(good to have all that weather planning background )

My hanging on days and cleaning up messes and putting everything away every day is out of the question..
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
.I have to laugh at people who push or are so proud of "expensive" boats but don't even come close to getting their money's worth out of them in terms of using them...just the bragging rights (if anyone is really listening to them)...
This is the reverse of my experience, mind you I don't normally boat in the high bling factor places you do. The Fleming owners I know work hard and long hours for their money, thus keeping the boat at the dock more than they'd wish. A few Westport owners I know are salt of the earth type people who are equally tireless.

But jacka$$es indeed abound, rich and poor alike. The worst I've seen are the West Palm Beach 40' day cruisers, locked to the docks and owned by gold chain guys with their bimbo bikini broads - I'm so envious.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
Guru

It's not about bling or money...it's about attitude...

I have no problem with the guy that WANTS a Flemming and never uses it...

I have a problem with the guy with the Flemming, Nordhavn or Krogen, etc...etc that says anything less is made poorly and not trustworthy at sea....( like Kevin, I'm not talking ocean crossing).....

Meanwhile I read stories of guys who take their Bayliners to Alaska or from Canada to belieze...etc...etc....
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #32
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
But jacka$$es indeed abound, rich and poor alike. The worst I've seen are the West Palm Beach 40' day cruisers, locked to the docks and owned by gold chain guys with their bimbo bikini broads.
I had a brand new 2000 35' Tiara Open and use to wear a gold chain and fashionable sun glasses. I didn't attract any bikini clad babes but as I said, my boat was only 35' so I guess size does make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2460.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
.............. Sea Ray owners just think the Baysinkers are wonderful boats, ............
A friend and dock neighbor of mine has a Sea Ray and is pretty proud of it. I commented one day that Sea Rays are just Bayliners with fancy appliances and upholstry. He was not amused!

According to the Bayliner dealer next to my marina, Sea Rays and Bayliners are built on the same assembly lines. I know they use the same engines and drives.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #34

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Meanwhile I read stories of guys who take their Bayliners to Alaska or from Canada to belieze...etc...etc....
Yep, right on.

If you really want some fun, read this, written by my dock mate Tony Bigras:
Travels with Miss Cindy. Adventures with a 16' Microcat cruiser.

He built a catamaran in Nanaimo, took to down to the Baja, and sailed/powered it down to central america, through the Panama Canal, and up to Florida.

Did I mention that it's 16 feet long???

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #35
Guru

my experience in the boats I have been in that the boat can take way more punishmen. then I can. Perhaps I am just a wuss. but that's okay I can live with that
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #36
Guru

City: Vermont
And what does any of this have to do with Coastal Cruisers vs Passage Makers? Amazing thread drift....
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
And what does any of this have to do with Coastal Cruisers vs Passage Makers? Amazing thread drift....
read the first post instead of just the title and you'll see....
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Being a California boy when I think of passage making my thoughts drift toward SF to Hawaii or on down the South Pacific to Oz. Circumnavigating the globe would look nice on a bucket list I suppose, but I could coastal cruise most of the continent with my humble little Owens with the right weather window and no schedule.

Cruising is what you make it. Make it yours and make it well.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
I kind of like thread drift more than the thread creep. Insert rtf crazy photo or video here.

Back to something k Sanders (I think) said several posts ago... I do think there is as much TT negativity as there is bayliner negativity in here. Though maybe I'm overly sensitive. I think my TT is pretty damn awesome and my husband loves the bayliner 47s. However I would not care to cruise my big butt sundeck on the west coast. Inland waters please. I'd do the loop and east coast on her though. At least the ICW. I'd be watching my weather outside the ICW (on the coast). I love her but she's top heavy.

To Scott and Ricks comments re weather. I agree w Scott that the persons point was he avoided bad weather, not that he did not realize he was in bad weather. I wish I could remember the couples name but they never boated, bought a sail boat and circumnavigated and said "what's the big deal". I forget how far they'd gone before they realized they had two speed winches. Seriously they'd never sailed before. They watched their weather and never hit anything hairy--had no idea why people were so afraid of the roaring 40s or southern ocean, etc. while they are more "ignorance is bliss" there is a lot to be said for modern weather forecasting.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
I kind of like thread drift more than the thread creep. Insert rtf crazy photo or video here.

Back to something k Sanders (I think) said several posts ago... I do think there is as much TT negativity as there is bayliner negativity in here. Though maybe I'm overly sensitive. I think my TT is pretty damn awesome and my husband loves the bayliner 47s. However I would not care to cruise my big butt sundeck on the west coast. Inland waters please. I'd do the loop and east coast on her though. At least the ICW. I'd be watching my weather outside the ICW (on the coast). I love her but she's top heavy.
Jennifer

That was the point of this thread, and there have been many great posts here.

You may be more comfortable on the ICW, and so would I. Whats not to like about flat water?

What we've finally had a great discussion about is that whatever brand of boat you have, whatever style of boat you have, cruising is an attainable dream.

You can go almost anywhere you can imagine in your boat...safely and comfortably. And nobody can tell you different.

All it takes is time and and the willingness to try.