Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Coast Guard inspection site

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Interestingly enough, we have yet to find where the original owner "permanently" mounted the number.**There are lots of places with screw holes where things have been taken down, so maybe his "permanent" mounting was not quite up to par ("The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.")???
Also interesting is that my builder is going to install a board with the documentation number engraved in it, attaching it to the bulkhead between the pilothouse and saloon. *Carey wrote:

Attaching a board or anything else which is not permanent does not meet the requirement for documentation. It must consist of a weld bead, drilling holes to represent numbers, or letters and numbers carved into PERMANENT timbers in the boat. Make sure they are not removable timbers like those used to support hatch sections. AFFIXING a number via glue, screws, nails, etc. is not acceptable. It must literally become a permanent part of the boat.

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 9th of December 2010 06:40:12 PM

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Coast Guard inspection site

Our documentation number, which is the same as the previous owner's, was carved into a big teak board and this board was then heavily fiberglassed to the inside of the transom in the lazarette with fiberglass matte completely enclosing the board. When we first inspected the boat prior to buying it I had no idea what this number was. I soon learned.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Quote:
2bucks wrote:

I got the big hairy eyeball from the Cutter Osprey going thru Pt. Townsend a week ago, with no numbers on the bow and they didn't see the need to tell me about it. Maybe they were just busy with all the other small boats they were boarding and decided not to bother with me, but you never know.

Speaking of that event, virtually every boat they boarded had a violation. The most common seemed to be no registration papers on board. That was followed closely by no type IV throwable device. Several boats in the 2 hour boarding session I listened to on the VHF were "pulling in lines and returning to port immediately".

For the record I support the enforcement effort, I don't want to be the one needing enforcement.

Ken
As a Port Townsend resident I find this sort of funny.... the Osprey has been ridiculed locally for* not even* leaving the dock to even respond to sinking boats on Port Townsend bay! whenever a inflatable boat was in the area and doing boardings it was from somewhere else. I had a boat here for over eight years ( documented) and nobody ever looked twice for Wa. registration.... I just waved at the coasties as we passed by.* My understanding is that documented boats are NOT to carry state registration... but in Washington we do need to show the state user decal. And as a second note I have had the courtesy safety inspection done ... and they have never said anything about the state numbers
HOLLYWOOD

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 08:42:08 PM
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:30 AM   #24
FF
Guru

We are documented commercial , so the requirement for the vessels NAME to be painted forward on either side seems to solve the problem for us.

We do pay FL for the joys of being in "their" water a couple of bucks for an "Antique" vessel sticker.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We are moored in EverettEverettEverett marina. Our hull number is engraved on a board in the bow.**We have been boarded and check on all three boats several times over the*years. WA
We usually have grandchildren with us as they usually do a quick check before the grandchildren drive them crazy with questions or start crying.** The reason we take short cruises before they drive us crazier than we already are.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 10th of December 2010 06:34:37 AM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
"Our hull number is engraved on a board in the bow."**

Hull number: The*builder's production number. Either the*total number of*boats built by that yard*at the date the*order was placed,*or the number of a particular*boat in a series.*

HIN: The hull identification number is a unique 12 letter/number code. The first 3 letters are the builder's code assigned by the USG (in the US) the remaining digits supply the builder's number, the date of build, and the model year.

Document number: The serial number of the actual "Document." It is located on the bottom of the back side of the USCG Document.

Official number: Assigned when the vessel is first documented. It is located on the front side of the Document, upper left. It is the one that is supposed to be welded, drilled, carved, or permanently attached and remains the same for the life of the vessel regardless of ownership.

IMO number: A unique 7 digit number preceded by the letters IMO. It is assigned by Lloyd's.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #27
Guru

Some states will issue a registration number, they don't care if you are documented, there are very few that do this. Others issue an annual sticker to show you paid your fees. We are arguing about semantics here. It does not matter whether you are issued a registration number by the state or not, it is illegal to DISPLAY a REGISTRATION NUMBER on a documented vessel. The USCG could care less about the annual stickers, it is not their job to enforce compliance. This is handled by the local authorities. If you have applied for a state title for your boat, and it is documented, the state will not know that and won't ask, but will assign a registration number for the title. You don't need a title for a documented boat. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #28

According to my NJ boater safety manual, NJ owners of Documented vessels must obtain registration stickers (i.e pay sales tax!) and they must be affixed to a vertical glass windows on each side of the vessel near the steering station.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -

Every boat (over a certain length and/or horsepower) that resides in Washington State is issued a Washington State registration number. This number must be displayed on undocumented boats, it should not be displayed on documented boats.

In addition to the registration number, every qualifying boat is issued an annual registration sticker with the payment of the annual state registration fee. This sticker MUST be displayed on the boat, documented or not.* The sticker must be displayed in such a way that is visible at all times.* We used to put ours on the windows on either side of the helm station, like many boats in our marina.* However we keep the window covers on the boat when we're not using it, and this obscured the sticker.* One day we arrived at the boat to find a warning from the Whatcom County sheriff that we were not displaying the registration sticker and if we didn't comply with the regulations we'd be fined next time.* We now put the stickers on the sides of the flying bridge.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote