Old 08-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

City: Milford
Vessel Name: Squeeze
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Coast Guard

I cruise the new England area. When the CG announces a alert to Mariners they do so too quickly to take notes. They will provide latitude and longitude once.
Has anyone else noted this and how can I notify the CG that boaters need to have a more time?
Blazys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Which sector?

Call and ask to speak to the oerations officer.

Pretty sure not much will change.

If routine weekly notice, you can find them online, even get them emailed to you.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #3

City: Milford
Vessel Name: Squeeze
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Sector southeast NE.

Will try contacting the operations officer
Blazys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Keep a small hand held tape recorder handy?
Old 08-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have the same problem with Sector Detroit. Unfortunately the CG teaches the watchstanders to get on and off the radio as quickly as possible. I have spoken to some OICs about it but it didn’t help. If you want to be efficient with air time then the message needs to be understandable the first time. They need to slow down and speak distinctly so that boaters are able to understand the message. Particularly since the boating population is getting older and are less able to hear what is said on the radio. Doint it right the first time is actually faster that repeating it.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
It is that way all across the country. I have wondered why at the minimum in addition to the laborious lat and lon figures they don't also indicate an approximate verbal location like 5 miles south of Point X.

I can relate to the later and if I am in the area I will keep an eye out or come to help. But with just lat and lon figures, never. Could be 100 miles away.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I often wish my radios had a 1 minute rewind capability to be able to repeat the last transmissions for verification. Are there radios out there with a playback/repeat capability?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I often wish my radios had a 1 minute rewind capability to be able to repeat the last transmissions for verification. Are there radios out there with a playback/repeat capability?
Just google "VHF Recording System." Plenty of them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Just google "VHF Recording System." Plenty of them.
That opens up a question. Is it legal to record in all jurisdictions. Many states have a one party recording rule which allows pretty much anything. However, the two party states require the consent of both parties of a conversation.

Are there special rules for VHF perhaps?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That is why I recommended a small tape recorder at the helm. Get to listen to it again and again, until it makes sense.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
You can always call the back and ask them to repeat crucial info.

I use an old Army helo driver trick and keep a grease pencil at the helm. In an emergency just write as fast as you can on the window next to you.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
It is that way all across the country. I have wondered why at the minimum in addition to the laborious lat and lon figures they don't also indicate an approximate verbal location like 5 miles south of Point X.

I can relate to the later and if I am in the area I will keep an eye out or come to help. But with just lat and lon figures, never. Could be 100 miles away.

I complain a fair amount about Sector Puget Sound personel’s inconsistent radio performance. Often they speak too fast, and about half the time the speech isn’t loud enough or enunciated clearly enough. Some radio operators just aren’t as good as others.

However, something that Sector Puget Sound does well I think is give locations. They give lat-long but they also give a description based on local landmarks. Anyone familiar with Puget Sound knows that this is really important, since you might be with a nm of a lat-long location, but only in a straight line. You may be a very long way away by water.

There are occasional problems with that however. Last weekend a boat had a fire on board. They told the USCG that they were by Hope Island. The USCG operator gave that location when they made the first request for assistance call on ch 16. The only problem is that there are two Hope Islands in Puget Sound. One is SW of Harstine Island in the South Sound and the other is up near Deception Pass. The second radio call by the USCG not only had a lat-long but also the description “Hope Island near Budd Inlet” which would immediately let local boaters know what they were talking about. I’m sure they are a lot of South Sound boaters who aren’t aware of the more northerly Hope Island and visa versa.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=psneeld;794843]You can always call the back and ask them to repeat crucial info.

Maybe if enough people keep asking for a repeat because you could not understand it or it was too fast they will take notice and start slowing down and trying to enunciate better. Can’t hurt but I think that a lot of boaters are too intimidated to question the CG. But remember they are just people too.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Just call them back on 16, switch back to 22A and ask them to repeat for you. BNMs are also included in the weekly LNMs. Very seldom is something critical involved, they cover those with securite or pan pan broadcasts.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The Pan Pans and Securities are also difficult to understand here.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The Pan Pans and Securities are also difficult to understand here.
So my same comment applies. Try it!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #17

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That opens up a question. Is it legal to record in all jurisdictions. Many states have a one party recording rule which allows pretty much anything. However, the two party states require the consent of both parties of a conversation.

Are there special rules for VHF perhaps?
There are no restrictions to recording a broadcasted public service announcement, nor are there any legal liabilities in doing so.

The laws you are referring to are in cases of private conversations, where an expectation of privacy is present from one or both parties.
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #18
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
That is why I recommended a small tape recorder at the helm. Get to listen to it again and again, until it makes sense.
you mean a small iphone
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #19
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I agree that Sector Puget Sound is hard to understand.

There was one women on during the day, in the past two months, who spoke slowly and was easy to understand. She had a very slight southern accent.

The rest was hard to understand

In comparison, the Canada Coast Guard Vancouver Island personnnal talks slow, enounciate well and very easy to understand. I really appreciate after a listening to a VHF mayday situation, that the Canada Coast Guard personnel often broadcasts an "all's well" announcement.

I was told by a Canadian friend that the Canada Coast Guard had more career personnel manning the VHF.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #20
Guru

Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
I agree that Sector Puget Sound is hard to understand.

There was one women on during the day, in the past two months, who spoke slowly and was easy to understand. She had a very slight southern accent.

The rest was hard to understand

In comparison, the Canada Coast Guard Vancouver Island personnnal talks slow, enounciate well and very easy to understand. I really appreciate after a listening to a VHF mayday situation, that the Canada Coast Guard personnel often broadcasts an "all's well" announcement.

I was told by a Canadian friend that the Canada Coast Guard had more career personnel manning the VHF.

I believe I heard the same woman last weekend. She was very good.

I also have had the same impression with the Canadian Coast Guard, at least out of Victoria. They are easy to understand.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote