Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I'd like to see some close up pictures of the failed parts. I designed and manufactured steering shaft u joints for 25 plus years and failures like that are rare.
Cardan shaft failures are not all that rare in marine applications. Alignment is just as critical as other shafts and careful attention to fasteners is important. It is not a "fit and forget" item.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
That assembly is a Cardan shaft. It appears that the pin retainers loosened or were never tightened properly when installed and were probably missing for some length of time until one moved out enough to create sufficient vibration to throw both out.

My guess is that the engine end pin left the scene first and the clunk you heard was the prop flinging the shaft around which caused the aft pin to depart. If it happened in the reverse order you might have had an even more exciting adventure.

This is a case study in why "checking" moving parts means to actually look at them and move them to make sure all the bits are in place and fastened properly.

something that is absolutely necessary...but I'll be the first to admit that long list of checks gets shortened with time...

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #23
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
when I used to deal with cardan shafts used in Ag equipment the bearing cups were held in place by spring circle clips which fit into a groove in the "yoke". If the bearing cups were not pressed in completely the clip wouldn't seat into the groove and sooner or later the "cross" and shaft would come loose. Could be what happened here
I had never heard of cardan shafts being used in a boat, but it does seem to be an application which would make engine alignment less critical. A good thrust bearing would be required.

Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I didn't know that had setups like that in boats. Mines a shaft with a huge coupling. The motor is positioned at a down angle and has a variety of shims. U joints would be nice. I would imagine you have a cutlas bearing? Might want to check that as well. I second some close up shots. Good post though.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Shew! Close one, Mark. It sounds suspicious. I'd have difficulty believing it was a material failure of some kind. Likely, it was something that was missed in the final check. It could have been a real disaster if, like Rick B. noted, it didn't come apart as it did.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
This is a case study in why "checking" moving parts means to actually look at them and move them to make sure all the bits are in place and fastened properly.
Who would thought the universal joints would come apart? Seems the pins all came out. I am presently tied up at home for the next couple of days while a new heater and air conditioner is installed. Won't get back to the boat 'til the end of week.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Who would thought the universal joints would come apart?
If it is made of two or more parts assembled by humans or machines and is subject to movement, vibration, temperature changes, or manipulation - intentional or otherwise - it will come apart sooner or later.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
That assembly is a Cardan shaft. It appears that the pin retainers loosened or were never tightened properly when installed and were probably missing for some length of time until one moved out enough to create sufficient vibration to throw both out.

Rick-- Are these pin retainers something that would normally be safety wired, like the set screws (bolts) on our shaft couplers?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

It is unlikely to be safety wired since there isn't much control over the weight and a Cardan shaft should be dynamically balanced.

It is probably an automotive or agricultural version the builder adapted to drive their boats. Some higher quality units use a two part yoke that is bolted to hold the cross or pins in place, some (as this one appears -only Mark can tell without posting one of his usual large photos) are budget versions that rely on the bearing retainers to hold it together. As someone else mentioned, a split ring and groove holds each bearing in place. Some use a cap with a single central bolt to retain the bearing and locate the assembly.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

Thanks. I can now visualize the components that are being talked about here (I think). Seems very odd that at the low rpms we're talking about here that the forces would be great enough to break them or throw them out of their housings.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #31
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Who would thought the universal joints would come apart? Seems the pins all came out. I am presently tied up at home for the next couple of days while a new heater and air conditioner is installed. Won't get back to the boat 'til the end of week.

I can't visualize what "pins" you are refering to, is it the needle bearings from the cups?
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
If it is made of two or more parts assembled by humans or machines and is subject to movement, vibration, temperature changes, or manipulation - intentional or otherwise - it will come apart sooner or later.
I would have thought "later" to be the operative word. The other year the U-joints in my 1987 BMW 635 were so worn out that they were allowing the drive shaft to move around enough to contact a heat shield mounted just above it. Obviously continuing to drive it this way would resulted in their complete failure. But I ws amazed at how messed up they coud be and still function. Which is why the failure of Mark's driveline is such a surprise. I assume it's still under warranty?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Seems very odd that at the low rpms we're talking about here that the forces would be great enough to break them or throw them out of their housings.
My WAG, having only seen the parts in a picture smaller than an avitar, is that it was "infant mortality" and probably related to incorrect or incomplete assembly and has been failing for some time. It should be a warranty issue if there is such a thing on a Chinese boat.

Based on recent experience with another brand new Chinese built 100 foot trawler style boat, I wouldn't touch one with a 100 foot pole unless the importer has a very very good service department and is willing to send techs wherever the boat is at no cost to the owner.

I'll be delighted to tell that story as soon as the lawyers have filed the papers and it becomes public domain.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I can't visualize what "pins" you are refering to, is it the needle bearings from the cups?
Steve W
Sorry, "pins" was my description of the bearing bearing (doubling intentional) cross piece.

Those units are just like normal universal joints for the most part but some have machined and ground "pins" that fit into the bearing cup that fits tightly in the yoke and holds the bits together.

Others use a bolt through the center of the bearing assembly and fasten to a stubby version of the cross. The outer end of that type of bearing forms a "hat" that seals the bearing and snugs up against the yoke.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Sorry, "pins" was my description of the bearing bearing (doubling intentional) cross piece
Sometimes referred to as "spider" by the perfomance car and truck folks.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #36
Master and Commander

A marine mechanic will visit the Coot Thursday to assess the situation. Builder will provide parts, including a new shaft section, if necessary. One possibility is that the shaft wasn't properly balanced or became unbalanced.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Mark, did those joints have grease fittings or we're they the non-greased type? Curious...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #38
Master and Commander

Ray, by the smudges on my hands, I'd say they're greased.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #39
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Knowing how the tides can really move their your guardian angel was kind.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #40
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
MARK - - >

KEEP A CHECK-UP SCHEDULE ON EVERYTHING!

I'm very pleased this mechanical mishap worked out relatively OK for you. Here's to wishing you safe sailing days ahead!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote