Old 12-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Art-- I woudl strongly recommend a visit to a reputable and experienced fire extinguisher company, particulary one with marine experience if possble.

We did this a number of years ago when we needed to have some of our extinguishers checked and recharged, and it proved to be very valuable. We learned a lot about extinguishers, what makes some brands good for boats and others not so much. And the company suggested extinguishers for the different compartments in our boat, for example using foam in the main cabin where all the electronics are as opposed to dry chemical.

We continue to use this company for our periodic extinguisher needs.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Art-- I woudl strongly recommend a visit to a reputable and experienced fire extinguisher company, particulary one with marine experience if possble.

We did this a number of years ago when we needed to have some of our extinguishers checked and recharged, and it proved to be very valuable. We learned a lot about extinguishers, what makes some brands good for boats and others not so much. And the company suggested extinguishers for the different compartments in our boat, for example using foam in the main cabin where all the electronics are as opposed to dry chemical.

We continue to use this company for our periodic extinguisher needs.
Thanks, Marin. I agree.

Here are a couple links for general info. Been so long since I paid attention to fire extinguisher reasoning that memory is flooding back. Amazes me how lax I'd become over years of no problem. This thread kicked my assss back into FE gear!

Fire Extinguishers Which is Best for the Job

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/060199tip3.htm

Fire Extinguisher Depot

https://fireextinguisherdepot.com/fire-extinguishers-1/marine-fire-extinguishers-1.html

Art is offline   Reply With Quote