Old 12-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Whoa....I had to read the end before reading the middle! What an ordeal! Thanks Heavens you had those extinguishers and they worked! Checking mine now.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #22
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
close call, I'm glad it worked out OK in the end. Good luck with the cleanup, I've heard extiguishers can make a real mess, but sure beats the alternative!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
The weather in BT doesn't warrant a diesel heater. Why no go with traditional reverse air?
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Thanks for posting your experience, especially since we have a stove of similar make and vintage. We have one more fire extinguisher than required, and will be getting more!

There's some good information (thanks C lectric!) and links in the following thread;

Ancient diesel for stove?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #25
Guru

Back when I raced a sailboat, we had an annual safety inspection by the Club, it included fire extinguishers being inspected and tagged as ok. They are not a "buy and forget' item.
The Safety Check was rigorous. A boat I know, where the indignant owner was a famous neurosurgeon, failed for lack of safety pins in the First Aid kit. They were supposed to be to secure a bandage, but the Club was so conservative I think they were to ensure the repair of any torn shirt.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
i've got six extinguishers aboard. The builder purchased two when boat was delivered because the extinguishers that should already have been aboard weren't found. ... soon after i bought two non-powder types since the thought of cleaning up a powder mess was unpleasant. ... later found the two extinguishers the boat that originally came with the boat. ... also have a fire blanket.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #27
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I've got 4 FE onboard + the ER automatic fire suppression system. It scared the hell out of me reading of your experience and decided to upgrade my onboard FEs. A friend carries a rather large CO2 type, I always wondered why he would carry such a large hard to store unit. Now I know and I think I'll add 1 or 2 of them. I'am happy this event had a happy ending and thank you for sharing.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #28
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Ron: you're welcome and so glad this bad experience has been turned into a positive reminder to a lot of the TF guys. It sure as hell was a wake up for me.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
It amazes me (very much about myself too) that even with what seems to be considerable attentiveness regarding boat-tending/home-tending matters there is (now - hopefully was) such a large scale of portable Fire Extinguisher lackadaisicalness.

This thread really opened my eyes. Not only for our boats but also our houses. I plan to perform Fire Extinguisher revamps... thereafter with annual check-ups/maintenances scheduled for first month each year.

Of the many great cautionary threads/posts on TF that help save lives in the long run... this thread simply must be at or near number one in rank.

Again, Thanks! Gulf Comanche
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #30
Guru

You're very welcome Art.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #31
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
I am glad all turned out well , although messy. Keeping your head helps. There is a lesson here for all of us and I will add one more extinguisher to my boat [10#] and replace two 2# units with 5#ers .

No such thing as too many of these things, extinguishers.

In Louisiana, you may not need that stove, I agree.

I have the Pacific, one size smaller.

However, something was wrong. Either the pump overpowered the fuel control or the fuel control was sticking due to lack of use. These things only require one to three pounds of pressure.

So what is the pump and how much pressure does it produce?

MANY, MANY stoves are setup for gravity feed, actually preferred. There are pumps designed or at least spec'd for these stoves. If the P.O. just used whatever he had on hand then the pump may have overpowered the control valve.

A small pump may be used to fill the gravity tank from the boat's main tank[s].

If this was working properly, UNLESS YOU HAD A BURNER POT HOLE TO LEAK which does not sound like the case, the overflow would not have occured. The valve is designed to only raise the fuel level to a certain point and quit unless overpowered.

I had that very thing happen to me, without the fire. The fuel rose to about 1" deep and quit flowing. But my valve was working and not overpowered by a potentially incorrect pump. It was my fault allowing myself to get distracted and forgot to light it, taking off in the car. At some point I had a holy s++t moment and went roaring back expecting a huge mess. Nope, shut off the fuel and just had to mop out the excess fuel and CAREFULLY light it. In my case, fuel OFF, I simply watched untill the excess had burned mostly away so I could then turn on the flow again.

Just a suggestion.

But I do understand if the stove is removed, you no longer trust it.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #32
Guru

C: You're right, I don't trust it anymore. The original pump died a few years back, replaced it w/ one from Dickinson that they recommended. Recently replaced the valve with a new one from Dickinson, installed it exactly as the old one. Two things might have occurred, the pot had a pinhole in it as you say, or the return line was clogged and allowed the pot to overflow. I don't know but will take a look when I get this beast out of the boat, which I don't think is going to be an easy job by myself. I'll post what I find.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #33
Art
Guru

Man - I'm sure design of today's hydrocarbon-fuel fired heaters are much improved as compared to what I was decades ago (early 70's) using to heat a house in Rockport ME. But - what was then simply called a "pot burner" was dangerous as all get out!

Good Luck and Be Careful!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #34
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
That stove will be a grunt at I'm guessing 125-140# so get some help with it.
My Pacific is ~110# so yours must be a bunch heavier.
Don't damage your back.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #35
Guru

Went to the boat this weekend and took a look at things. No scorching of the area behind the stove, the fire stayed contained to the area below the pot as I described earlier. The last fire extinguisher I used to put the fire out, which is now half empty, did not have a date on the front or back label. It did have the number 92 in raised metal on the bottom which I am guessing is the date of purchase. The boat was launched in 92 so if correct, the FE is 22 years old. Talk about luck that the thing worked.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
.... It did have the number 92 in raised metal on the bottom which I am guessing is the date of purchase. The boat was launched in 92 so if correct, the FE is 22 years old. Talk about luck that the thing worked.
Good luck is right. The date on the bottom is the year of manufacture. At 12 years, maximum, the non-rechargeable portable extinguishers, must be removed from service.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #37
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I predict a lot of new fire extinguishers are going to be installed on forum owner boats this year. Thanks for boosting awareness.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #38
Art
Guru

All I want for Christmas is my two huge new portable Fire Extinguishers!

I will also perform thorough check-up on and/or full replacement of all others.

I'm still blown away to learn how so many of us (myself included) have been lax in checking on our portable FE's!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #39
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
The cleanup of the white powder after we had a small electrical fire can take weeks, it penetrates every where. We have a CO2 unit picked out to replace the dry powder type after our fire.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #40
Art
Guru

Not being a well informed fire extinguisher officiando myself... I ask for help in learning/locating the most reputable brand, recommended size, and best type of fire extinguishing contents for marine portable fire extinguisher.

Although it clearly seems that CO2 extinguisher contents save considerable clean-up needs after danger has passed. The clean-up after crisis has passed is not my main concern. Extinguishing the fire completely is.

I believe it is not only I who will benefit from detailed guidance by those who well know ins-and-outs of portable FE's

IMHO - This is a great thread!