Cleaning white fenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
What is the best way to clean my white fenders. I have a couple that have black stains and are generally looking like crap.

Acetone to clean them, rinse with water, then treat with 303 protectant.

GoJo hand cleaner and a scotchbrite pad. Wax when clean and dried off.

Marine Strip - used on Fenders and powercords. No scrubbing, just wipe on and wipe off.

I always believed Spray 9 to be the best until I tried Z-CLEANER
It works so well that at first I was afraid to use it thinking it might somehow
have an adverse effect on the material. After several uses no concerns now. The best by far.

Spray 9 worked great on ours.

A couple years ago I did an intentional test, every product I could remember that I'd even seen recommended. About 16-17 products. Spray Nine and elbow grease worked best, of those. Can't remember if that was normal or "marine" Spray Nine.

Marine Strip - used on Fenders and powercords. No scrubbing, just wipe on and wipe off.

Then last year, I used Marine Strip. And elbow grease. Worked better.

-Chris

I've had good results w spray 9.
I usually follow up w a wipe of 303 protectant and they seem to shed the dirt better

A recent post on the Trawlers and Trawlering list by a very experienced hand stated that Publix brand mildew remover was a wonder product for this task.

Always looking for a better cleaner.....

Seems like Spray Nine is less that half the price of Marine Strip, which is quite expensive.

So the question is Marine Strip worth double the cost?

I've cleaned my white fenders with a cheap boat cleaner and it that didn't work a swipe of Muriatic Acid worked fine.... both a fraction of the above costs.

I have 2–21” round white fenders, they’re 10 years old. I use when locking or when tied to a sea wall and they’re scuffed and scratched and work as good as they did 10 years ago. I clean with a pressure washer. They will never look new again to many locks.

After I clean my fenders and power cord, I wax them. Wax leaves a coating on which most of the stuff sticks. Much easier to clean a waxed surface than one that isn't.

Ted

I use Castrol Super Clean. It can be bought at most auto parts stores. Use with a gray 3M ScotchBrite pad. Spray on, let sit a few minutes before using the pad.

Acetone can make them gooey. Maybe it's worked for some, but you run the risk of ruining the fenders. It's great on gel coat though, but even there I'd use it sparingly and wax well afterward.

If you can still find it, MEK usually does the trick without breaking down the plastic. I notice HD and Lowe's don't sell it anymore. I found an old dusty can at the local hardware store, behind the shiny new cans of "MEK Replacement." No clue if that new stuff works.

I also use GoJo hand cleaner but after cleaning use ArmorAll for protection and a nice shine.

Acetone cleans fenders better than anything. But as Capt Tom points out, it ruins them.

Marine Strip by Restoration Technology works just about as well as acetone without making them sticky.

You can certainly try any vinyl safe cleaner first, but if that fails, Marine Strip is the go to product.

My regular used fenders are already black. Much easier to maintain.

True, but you can't tell if they are dirty. Actually, easier to clean white ones because they show the dirt. And there's nothing nicer than white fenders. I've got a pile of old grungy black ones that I replace with fresh new white ones, and hard to even give them away.

I have 2–21” round white fenders, they’re 10 years old. I use when locking or when tied to a sea wall and they’re scuffed and scratched and work as good as they did 10 years ago. I clean with a pressure washer. They will never look new again to many locks.

Just a thought.....
With those locks throw a fender board between two fenders and the lock wall. Fenders stay clean, and just throw the board away occasionally. I learned to do that in the middle of the boat, where I'd tie to a bollard if present and have two fender balls fore and aft in case the boat got a little katiwumpus. Made locking easy.

Always looking for a better cleaner.....

Seems like Spray Nine is less that half the price of Marine Strip, which is quite expensive.

So the question is Marine Strip worth double the cost?

It took me a couple days -- and serious elbow grease -- to clean six 12" white fenders with Spray Nine.

I did all six in one afternoon -- using less elbow grease -- with Marine Strip.

-Chris

Thanks for the feedback will give marine strip a try. One of the few projects I can do currently as I cannot access the boat as it is a mud and slush pit at the marina. Hoping the last of winter has passed so the area can dry out and I can start the fun stuff. Have shanghied daughters new boyfriend to help me wax and prep the bottom once we re able.

If you are going to use Marine Strip, just be aware that despite the claim made in the sole Amazon review, the product is toxic. Google the MSDS for toulene and acetone and use appropriate precautions.

Can't help with the cleaning but if you can't get them back to original then maybe buy some fender covers.

We tried fender covers. Seems to hold "grit" more than the bare fenders themselves. Might have had better results had we removed/washed/replaced more often...

-Chris

The white fenders stay at the dock. One I use as cushion when I back in, the other is on the corner of the dock. They are old and crappy but do the trick, just want to try and spiff them up. These sit 1/2 in the water so cannot do covers. Just got fender covers for those onboard.

Can't help with the cleaning but if you can't get them back to original then maybe buy some fender covers.
I have covers but remove them for dirty locks and replace them after traversing a canal and rinsing the fenders. The covers stay cleaner and are softer on the painted hull.

We use covers on our vertical fenders. Like both the appearance and I feel we get more protection against the hull.

We remove covers when going through locks.

Back
Top Bottom