Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #1

Hi there!

Hello everyone!

My name is Tom,*

I'm very new to the world of boating and live aboards. I've been wanting to own a boat and live on it for many years. I've read lots over this time to try and prepare myself.

A little about myself. I live in South Florida and work as an I.T. Support analyst for a healthcare system here. I also volunteer working with injured wildlife. I've had to put off this dream for quite some time but now I'm ready, although a little rushed with my Credit Union approving a loan that will remain active for only 30 days before I have to re apply. I was denied the boat loan at first, but then appealed and it went through. I think it might be just as tough if I have to re apply, thus the rushed feeling. Also they sent me to Wisconsin for training for two weeks and that bit into my time.

Any who, I am looking at this boat and posted it on the Living aboard forums but thought this site would have possibly more information as it's devoted to trawlers.

Can anyone give me some information on this boat? I've watched it slide down in price and am strongly considering placing a bid on it.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/Ch ... ted-States

It seems to need a fair amount of work, I've been told it also has some blisters but from what I've read, blisters aren't to be that frightened of.

Does anyone know this style and their overall quality and seaworthiness? I know it's a lot to ask, I find myself drawn to it even with the issues but need some knowledgeable advice. I've had a hard time even finding any info on this style anywhere online.

I think I can handle tearing up the teak, I've read a nice guide on these forums. If I can live on it while working on it, I should be good. I wonder about the make/model of this.

Thanks for any information and I'm very glad to have come across this site!
Bakeract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Hi there!

No offense... However, I know there will be some humorous replies ahead. When had a funny thread back about a year ago poking fun at the excessive amount of canvas that boat carries.

Tom-

*EDIT* Found it... http://www.trawlerforum.com/forum.spark?aBID=115492&topicID=39351201&p=3

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 09:00:42 PM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
RE: Hi there!

Oh come on guys... somebody chime in here....* THAT BOAT NEED MORE CANVAS!

Welcome Tom,
You will find there is a wealth of information to be found on this forum...but you will need to be a bit thick skinned at times.* That is a lot of boat for the buck... and a fairly high upkeep one too. Be easy on your self and step into boats gently.. with a boat that you can get rid of if it isn't the right thing for you.
Regarding Cheoy Lee Boats... The fiberglass is usually pretty decent and not any lack of it, the interior teak is great, the wiring sub par, the boat probably has blisters on the side that sat in the sun most... and they can be dealt with.
*I had a C.L. and sailed it almost 20,000 miles including across the Pacific and I still like them.. kind of like that Uncle we all have that you sort of try to keep away from at the annual family Christmas party.. but he still makes you chuckle when he farts at the dinner table..

Take care,
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

Hi there!

Laugh, none taken. I had the same impression when I saw it all covered up. The funny thing is, I'm not sure I'd get rid of it.*

I believe the wife loved working on canvas and just kept adding to it.

That style of Cheoy Lee I'm not familiar with, well Cheoy Lee's overall. So if anyone has some information about them, please pass it on.*

Thanks again!

Thanks Hollywood, I posted this as you did, so I didn't see yours right away.
Thick skin, np...I always enjoy a joke even at my expense, I just roll with it and have fun!

-- Edited by Bakeract on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 09:52:48 PM
Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

City: Brookings
Vessel Name: Stargazer
Vessel Model: Mainship 34

Tom,

I've owned two Cheoy Lee boats, but they were both sail. And as Hollywood said, their fiberglass is pretty good, and the Ford Lehman diesel is a real workhorse if it's been properly maintained. *You won't really know enough about the engine and condition of the vessel without a good survey (one for the boat and one for the engine).

Price-wise, it seems like a pretty good buy. *My only concern in your post is that you seem to have a time crunch, and that's not something you want when buying a boat. But having said that, if this boat seems to meet your needs it may be worth putting in an offer; with a contingency that if anything major is found to be wrong you can back out. The cost of a haulout and surveys would be yours, but it may be worth the investment.

Just my two cents.

Welcome to the forum.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon
coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
coyote454 wrote:

Tom,

I've owned two Cheoy Lee boats, but they were both sail. And as Hollywood said, their fiberglass is pretty good, and the Ford Lehman diesel is a real workhorse if it's been properly maintained. *You won't really know enough about the engine and condition of the vessel without a good survey (one for the boat and one for the engine).

Price-wise, it seems like a pretty good buy. *My only concern in your post is that you seem to have a time crunch, and that's not something you want when buying a boat. But having said that, if this boat seems to meet your needs it may be worth putting in an offer; with a contingency that if anything major is found to be wrong you can back out. The cost of a haulout and surveys would be yours, but it may be worth the investment.

Just my two cents.

Welcome to the forum.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon
Tom, I totally agree with Mike.* There is a saying that the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule.* When buying a boat due diligence is very important------hull and engine surveys, etc.* Do not let your deadline force you into a bad deal.* It could be a very good deal, but then again . . . . . . . . .*

Take your time and do it right.* Your lender should appreciate that.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

I appreciate that advice very much. Perhaps I will take a step back for a moment. I became rather anxious as this has been a long wait for me and then after getting the loan, being sent to WI was rough. Adding to that was the fact that I had 4 boats in line that I wanted to make an offer on and dang if each sold as I was away. GAH!

I looked at this one and thought that it could work. I have two dogs, one that has bad hips and knees so the less stairs the better. I love scuba diving and this boat looked good from the way the swim platform was set up.

But again, perhaps I'll take a breathe and relax for a second, ask for an extension for another month and keep looking. Maybe as I relax, I'll put in an offer and see how well she holds up to a survey.

The owner seemed great though. I did go see it and he spend easily 2 hours with me, starting it up, and showing me all the details of the boat.

Well have a great night and thanks again for the welcome and advice!

Tom
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #8

Hi Tom,
I had looked at this boat on YW too, when I was shopping. I seem to recall that perhaps the broker had said she might have some problems with her decks (wet decks) - but I am not 100% sure. You may want to take a close look at them, just in case.
I think there is another identical Cheoy Lee for sale in Maine, for a little less money, on YW, but not in nearly as nice shape.
Cheers
Phillip
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #9

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler

Hi Tom
Welcome
Just take your time and don't rush into it
I own a 32 ft Cheoy Lee Trawler and couldn't be happier
It is a great sea boat and built as strong as a brick s@%t house
They have a lot of external timber that takes a bit of looking after as I am now finding out however if you take your time with it you would get there in the end
Mine has built in f/g tanks of large capacity
The boat is big for its size and I have the room of some 34 / 36 footers

Good hunting

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Hi Tom, and Allan also. Good to see you back on line again Allan. Benn mentioned he ran across you the other day.
Yes, Tom, we all had a bit of a laugh about all the canvas coverings, but now she has lifted her skirts as it were, she's quite a beauty, or would be when undressed of all that canvas. I can imagine how she would look, because I have a sedan of similar length and style and I love it. It is exactly the type of boat we were after, and we looked a long time.
It sounds and looks like her lay-out is very similar to ours inside as well.
Sure the deck coring might be a bit damp, but it's locked inside two layers of glass. All you probably need to do is rip off the old teak, then reinforce the deck with some suitable material, in the case of my boat, marine ply, then glass over it all, finished with non-skid, and it'll be fine. Some purists would say rip out all the damp core and re-core, then finish as I just described, but really, that is a huge and expensive task, and the end result is just that you can say you did it, (you can't see it), but mine was treated the way I just described 12 yrs ago now, (I've owned it 9), and it's absolutely fine. I have repaired any damaged internal teak, the tanks were fixed, (look for rust on top of the tanks where water may have come through the old teak screw-holes, a common issue in this and even later models), and don't be too concerned re a bit of rot here and there in the cabin, which is probably timber - maybe glass-over-ply, as like any timber thing, it can be repaired. Quite a bit of cabin wall was replaced in my boat. When I took over, a lot of that stuff had been done by the previous owner, but the marine ply was exposed inside where repaired. I re-lined the repairs with new teak veneer - all good now.
The engine is the same as mine, and they are a legend in their own time. What's not to love. The photos indicate she was much loved and cared for at least most of the time. She may well be in better shape than I have indicated - that was sort of a worst case scenario I just described. As Allan says, they are basically well built. I nearly bought a Cheoy Lee 32 aft cabin myself, but my 2iC wanted a rear cockpit, so we kept looking until we found one - or as usually happens with boats - it found us. So take your time - don't be rushed, but she sounds like a very good deal for the price. I paid twice that 9 yrs ago. If it is meant to be..........it will happen. Keep us in the loop.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Guru

If you are ready and you think this boat is for you then go for it (taking the necessary precautions of course i.e. offer less than the asking price, have a good survey done by a professional, evaluate the work thas has to be done vs the cost and your abilities to do it yourself). It it all adds up then make the move.

These Taiwanese trawlers are a lot of boat for the money. They do have some issues but most of them can be fixed by a willing owner.

And besides, you can always re-sell some of that canvas to offset some of the costs!
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Quote:
Bakeract wrote:

Hello everyone!

My name is Tom,*

I'm very new to the world of boating and live aboards. I've been wanting to own a boat and live on it for many years. I've read lots over this time to try and prepare myself.

A little about myself. I live in South Florida and work as an I.T. Support analyst for a healthcare system here. I also volunteer working with injured wildlife. I've had to put off this dream for quite some time but now I'm ready, although a little rushed with my Credit Union approving a loan that will remain active for only 30 days before I have to re apply. I was denied the boat loan at first, but then appealed and it went through. I think it might be just as tough if I have to re apply, thus the rushed feeling. Also they sent me to Wisconsin for training for two weeks and that bit into my time.

Any who, I am looking at this boat and posted it on the Living aboard forums but thought this site would have possibly more information as it's devoted to trawlers.

Can anyone give me some information on this boat? I've watched it slide down in price and am strongly considering placing a bid on it.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/Ch ... ted-States

It seems to need a fair amount of work, I've been told it also has some blisters but from what I've read, blisters aren't to be that frightened of.

Does anyone know this style and their overall quality and seaworthiness? I know it's a lot to ask, I find myself drawn to it even with the issues but need some knowledgeable advice. I've had a hard time even finding any info on this style anywhere online.

I think I can handle tearing up the teak, I've read a nice guide on these forums. If I can live on it while working on it, I should be good. I wonder about the make/model of this.

Thanks for any information and I'm very glad to have come across this site!
********* Tom, This boat could be a good buy for you. If you do your homework.

********* I think the broker missed an opportunity to market this boat.

********* The broker should have removed and packed away 90% of the canvas.

********** then photograph the boat so it can be seen.* Staging and photos count!

********** Most people have a hard time looking past that mountain of canvas.

********* Packed away and included in the sale full camper canvas could have been a

********* plus. But for you now the price is dropping and thats what you want.

**************** In the engine room the Lehman has 5100hrs, no big deal here, but it

****** still has the original water pump drive and Jabsco raw water pump.* The

****** original drive is known to break sometimes with as little as 2000hrs.* A

*******replacement Johnson Pump eliminates the weak link and updates the cooling

****** system.** Think it is about $700.** You have to check with Bob Smith at

****** American Diesel.

**************** Things to ponder.*** JohnP** Good Luck!

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #13

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler

Hi Tom

Good news!!!
These boats were not made in Taiwan
They were made in Hong Kong and much better built than the Taiwan trawlers

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #14

Thanks everyone! I find myself becoming more and more excited about this boat. I decided to put on an offer and have received the contract. I'll look it over and see about finding a surveyor over near Moorhaven to look it over if my offer is accepted. The broker was pretty direct in telling me that they wish to sell now and in going over general issues that she heard about.

Maybe if I'm lucky, I can drive over and have this done on Saturday.

By the way, has anyone here converted a v-berth to a normal double bed? I think it has space for it. Also the forward head and shower was removed and made into a locker. I'd like to reverse that back.

But really, thanks. You all have really helped me, and made me laugh! I don't have a clue to where I'd store that canvas, whew. I think I'd like to get rid of some of it and show the lines of the vessel more.

I don't suppose anyone would venture a guess to bridge clearance on that minus canvas?

Have a great night!

Tom
Old 03-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #15

First off though is fixing that deck and removing the teak. Maybe painting the hull and patching the blisters or leaving them for now.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Tom,
I am not sure that boat has near enough canvas! Truth be told, I posted a pic of that boat a while ago here just due to all the canvas! They probably have more in canvas work than the purchase price of the boat.

Regarding the vberth, I just converted our double into a Vberth on our Monk. You should be able to convert the Vberth to a large double but you may have limited floor space in front of the bed. Converting the former head, now locker, back into a head, should be pretty straightforward depending on how much they adjusted the plumbing and cabinetry. Post pics and we can provide more insight.

I know the lehman with 5,000+ hours is potentially no big deal- just be sure to check it out. If it's lasted that long odds are that it has been taken care of but dropping in a new engine is not exactly cheap so you want to make sure you know all the issues before you close. Don't underestimate the cost of redoing the interior soft goods if you plan on doing that. You can spend a ridiculous amount just re-upholstery the settees! Price it all out before you close to make sure that the deal overall makes sense. Thinking you may only spend $10k fixing her up could end up being $40k real quick if you are not careful.

Good luck though- could be a great deal.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
Tom, I am not sure that boat has near enough canvas! ...
*How does she handle in crosswinds, particularly in and out of*docks?**Does the boat have*twin engines as well as stern and bow thrusters?

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #18
FF
Guru

"offer less than the asking price,"

Why? the buyer had years of experience at fair pricing of similar boats?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

I am in agreement with FF on this one. $US29,000 sounds a very low price for a 38 foot boat which is still in pretty good nick overall. Ironically, the PO of my boat boat a Cheoy Lee 35 sedan just after he sold the Clipper to me, and they used it as a live-aboard for a while, then up-sized again to an ex-ferry which they fully refurbished and lived on permanently until recently. I had a good look at the Cheoy Lee when they bought her and when she was sold. She seemed quite a bit bigger than my 34, so a 38 would be huge - more like a 40 footer. He paid about $100k I think. That was 2004. Those same Cheoy Lee 35s over here in Aus now are listed in the $100 - $140,000 range even now, depending on condition, and our dollars are at parity. I reckon, (trying not to mentally add up what I have spent on my boat since I bought her tooo accurately), that getting a 38 ft boat for $39k, one could spend quite a bit, (as long as you have it), and still be able to smile, bearing in mind anything that size new or near new would be $US 300 - 400k...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
FF
Guru

Hi there!

The usual hassles with these boats , rotten decks and cabin sides ,can be redone by a willing owner at modest cost. As everything in boating , there are a dozen ways to accomplish this. You are on the right board if you want a variety of opinions!

Just read the advert , Moore Haven is about 15 miles from us.

Stop by on your way down the river idf you purchase her!

-- Edited by FF on Friday 25th of March 2011 10:56:52 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote