Old 11-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #1
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Citroen motion sickness glasses

This is a clever idea, if a bit hideous looking (but less hideous than being motion sick and throwing up, I suppose!)

Old 11-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Maybe a Harry Potter was throwback

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I'll know they truly work when I see the Captain of a 'Deadliest Catch' Bering Sea crab boat demand a sea sick crew member don a pair of those
Old 11-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Looks as though you just have to wear them for a short period of time to reorient the brain and then take them off. For 99 Euros that is cheap for someone that suffers badly from motion sickness. Let the knock offs begin.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Citroen motion sickness glasses

I might try those things. Preorder is 72 Euros, and if they work I donít care if I look ridiculousó I generally look pretty ridiculous anyway.

On longer offshore passages Iíve resorted to using the patch so I donít have to worry if I will get sick or not, and while it works I donít like the way it makes me feel.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Frankly, I don't believe claims that are made without evidence. The 95% success rate was made by the folks that patented the "boarding glasses" over 10 years ago. I don't think that I've ever seen the actual studies that support it.

They are right in that motion sickness is usually caused (not all the time) by the brains inability to integrate mismatching inputs. Your inner ear is telling you one thing while your visual system is telling you another. There are some folks that will get motion sick simply because of over stimulation of the inner ear.

The idea is that the glasses give you an artificial horizon and thereby the motion you are experiencing is matching your visual experience. All well and good, but if that was 95% effective, then anyone on your boat, car, or plane would simply need to be able to sit on the flybridge or pilothouse to get the visual view of the horizon to be "cured" of motion sickness. Furthermore, the claim is that they only need to do that for 10-15 minutes and then they won't get motion sick.

However, the company has a website and makes nifty YouTube videos, so it HAS to be true. Right?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
Guru

I wonder if motion sickness is partially psychosomatic, if thatís the right word. Basically, if you THINK you are going to get seasick, you will get seasick.

Any studies on that David?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Frankly, I don't believe claims that are made without evidence. The 95% success rate was made by the folks that patented the "boarding glasses" over 10 years ago. I don't think that I've ever seen the actual studies that support it.

They are right in that motion sickness is usually caused (not all the time) by the brains inability to integrate mismatching inputs. Your inner ear is telling you one thing while your visual system is telling you another. There are some folks that will get motion sick simply because of over stimulation of the inner ear.

The idea is that the glasses give you an artificial horizon and thereby the motion you are experiencing is matching your visual experience. All well and good, but if that was 95% effective, then anyone on your boat, car, or plane would simply need to be able to sit on the flybridge or pilothouse to get the visual view of the horizon to be "cured" of motion sickness. Furthermore, the claim is that they only need to do that for 10-15 minutes and then they won't get motion sick.

However, the company has a website and makes nifty YouTube videos, so it HAS to be true. Right?
With today's social media, if your claims are true it won't take long to see reviews with a low five star rating. In the meantime for those with chronic conditions, it may be worth a shot.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
The idea is that the glasses give you an artificial horizon and thereby the motion you are experiencing is matching your visual experience. All well and good, but if that was 95% effective, then anyone on your boat, car, or plane would simply need to be able to sit on the flybridge or pilothouse to get the visual view of the horizon to be "cured" of motion sickness.
AND they'd need to do nothing other than looking out at the horizon. One point of these is to allow doing OTHER activities.

Night time and overcast/fog conditions wouldn't allow for it either. Or being below.

Quote:
And forum comments likewise?

If they work for folks, great! I've no stake in it, just thought it looks like a clever idea. One that I could see working in the limited number of situations where either myself or others aboard might need to be in situations where going above isn't always an option.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I wonder if motion sickness is partially psychosomatic, if thatís the right word. Basically, if you THINK you are going to get seasick, you will get seasick.

Any studies on that David?

I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me. I think the anxiety of anticipating getting sick could play a role.

The best treatment for prevention that I've seen is visual therapy that improves the ability of the brain to integrate the disparate inputs. The downside to this is that you have to induce the mismatching inputs in a controlled environment to allow the brain to improves its ability to integrate those inputs. In other words, you have to practice getting motion sick in small steps repeatedly until your brain can learn it. This process might be worth it if motion sickness is really debilitation for general life activities. Otherwise, not so much...

Dave
SPOT page
Old 11-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #12
Guru

Ahh, Iíve heard thatís what most long time cruisers do. Keep getting seasick until they donít. Iíve never been able to be seasick over multiple days because Iím driving the boat, but maybe if my wife and I ever cruise over a long period I can try that. She never gets seasick.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
AND they'd need to do nothing other than looking out at the horizon. One point of these is to allow doing OTHER activities.

Night time and overcast/fog conditions wouldn't allow for it either. Or being below.

And forum comments likewise?

If they work for folks, great! I've no stake in it, just thought it looks like a clever idea. One that I could see working in the limited number of situations where either myself or others aboard might need to be in situations where going above isn't always an option.

Yeah, I get your point. They aren't expensive and can't be harmful, so no harm in giving them a try. Your point about night time and fog is an excellent one. Would these allow folks who normally are not sick when they have a view of the horizon not get sick in low vis conditions? That could be an advantage for sure.

My own feeling, is that these are simply another in a long line of snake oil gadgets. They may sell a bunch and make some money before they are either shut down or go out of business. We've seen plenty of those in the US over the years. However, I am wrong a lot and if they are effective, it could be a boon to TF members who have guests that get motion sick. So maybe some TF members can buy them and and test them out on motion sick passengers and report back?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 11-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
Guru

I ordered a pair. Will report back, if I ever go anywhere.

Iím supposed to go to the Bahamas April-May so that will be a good test going across.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I ordered a pair. Will report back, if I ever go anywhere.

Iím supposed to go to the Bahamas April-May so that will be a good test going across.

I hope you get lots of chances to get out on the boat, but that the seas are always so flat that you never have the chance to test the glasses.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 11-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
My own feeling, is that these are simply another in a long line of snake oil gadgets. They may sell a bunch and make some money before they are either shut down or go out of business. We've seen plenty of those in the US over the years. However, I am wrong a lot and if they are effective, it could be a boon to TF members who have guests that get motion sick. So maybe some TF members can buy them and and test them out on motion sick passengers and report back?
Could be, but searching online shows the idea came about a while ago and it's not like a car maker (even if they're French) is going to bother making something that's entirely bogus. Although I'm sure there's plenty of nitpicking examples to fault that perspective.

Having had extreme vertigo at one point (idiopathic, they never figured out why) I can better sympathize with how others grapple with balance/motion issues. I'm not one to get seasick but have definitely had a situation or two where being below with no view of the horizon started to become a problem. I can't imagine being sensitive enough to have it be a constant or immediate problem, yikes that'd suck.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #17
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
TravelShades
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #18
Guru

Hm... a well functioning binocular person should have no difference in motion sickness with one eye occluded. However, it looks like the inventor has a vertical heterophoria, so it is possible that for him occluding one eye could make a difference.

If you want to try this at home, take some removable cellophane tape and cover the inside of one lens of a pair of sunglasses with it. Scotch brand makes that tape among others. It is designed so that you can use it on paper and remove the tape without ripping the paper. When it is put on a spectacle lens, it makes the lens translucent. You get light, but not detail through it. If that solves your motion sickness, great.

Keep in mind that it also will eliminate any binocularity and reduce overall visual acuity for about 93% of the population.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 11-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #19
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
People have a dominant eye, shutting off one eye may not be noticeable and this is also for people who get seasick, who are also not as likely to need to use both eyes as maybe a captain. But I suppose there have been many successful one eyed sailors using an eye patch through centuries.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Monroe
I’ve heard that’s why pirate captains wore an eyepatch. It wasn’t because they had one bad eye, it was to help with sea sickness.

Casey6404 is offline   Reply With Quote