Choice of dinghy for future use as tender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a 12 foot Carolina Skiff on the fore deck of an acquaintances 40 something Chris Craft.

Attachments

• 20170207_145835.jpg
    20170207_145835.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Don't expect to tow a dingy in six foot waves. If you can't fit a hard dinghy onboard, an inflatable is your only choice.

pro fishing boats do it all the time in QLD offshore out around the great barrier reef.
Often several dory's at a time.

listing_636139341208465157_Image3_popup.jpg

My latest one is a 4.3m dory in aluminium with a 30 on the back.

16107303_10208314419603962_835868978279324712_o.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe useful to posit your preferred transport method, first. That could guide not just the dinghy decision, but also your eventual big boat shopping. For example, after "deciding" that, you could compare LBW of console Whalers (or whatevers) to console RIBs.

Excellent point. Being still along way out, my reading thus far combined with an understanding of my own quirks (and those of my wife as she ascends to the rank of Admiral) tells me that I'm a Weaver davits guy. I see myself dropping the dinghy as part of the daily routine in anything but foul, stay aboard weather.

Here is a 12 foot Carolina Skiff on the fore deck of an acquaintances 40 something Chris Craft.

Think the current line of those J model skiffs are sold as "kit boats." The 12-footer starts out at 230 lbs with absolutely nothing but the bare hull. Nice, economical boats but definitely the barge shape that pounds more than I like. Still, I considered one; but tricked out like I wanted, it would weigh at least as much as the Blue Water Baby, now anxiously waiting for an engine in my garage.

Nothing not to like about the Bluewater Baby, at least in the category shared by the Boston Whaler and Carolina Skiff. Price included, of course. Correct me if I'm wrong, but given its age in the industry, the Whaler has the advantage of older and "more depreciated" models available.

I don't consider many of those small boats pictured here as dinghys. Essentially, they are launches. They are heavy, and require a large boat with an expensive crane to keep aboard. Expecting to always tow such boats is subject to problems.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Launch, tender, dinghy, skiff. We're into semantics again. ALL suggestions and comments thus far have some merit. Whatever the term used it boils down to "horses for courses". What do you want to do with the boat and what do you want the boat to do for you?

I towed for a year Mark and there were not many problems but I abandoned the practice. I'd love to pull my 12' FD rowboat but suspect it will be too much drag because of the very slow FD speed limitation. I'd cry less if I lost my 10' dinghy so may pull that and it has the advantage of a SD hull capable of more speed w less pull on the line.

Mark I thought in Alaska that if one could'nt pack a dinghy up the beach above the high tide line it was'nt a dinghy. If powered the engine could be carried separately .. if OB.

Last edited:
Well, I coincidentally got a courtesy call from Gig Harbor Boat Works today saying they were about to start my dinghy/tender/toy and it should be ready in about three weeks.

So is it impractical to expect to use an 11' Whaler as a tender/dinghy with Weaver davits on say, a Mainship 390?

I am seriously considering a third attempt on Mt. Whitney later this summer, but I expect to have my share of aches and pains in 7 years when pulling a heavy tender up on Weaver davits becomes an issue. Is there no way to use some system of mechanical advantage?

Mark, I have s/s tube davits on the back of our boat.
Each side has 3 speed 5:1 boat trailer hand winches.
I can lift our near 700lb tinny/motor/fuel with llittle effort, by myself.
A hydraulic crane is nice but far from essential.

Last edited:
I am seriously considering a third attempt on Mt. Whitney later this summer, but I expect to have my share of aches and pains in 7 years when pulling a heavy tender up on Weaver davits becomes an issue. Is there no way to use some system of mechanical advantage?
I'm done with tugging and lifting around boats. My new to me boat has engine boxes that take two men to lift. I found this 24v cordless winch that makes easy work of the task.

61Uo-XOpDGL._SX355_.jpg

I plan to install St. Croix dinghy rollers on the swim platform and will also use the winch to pull up the Avon RIB.

820PullOn_oview.jpg

When not in use, it stows away in a handy bag. I upgraded the steel cable to dyneema with a soft eye and soft shackles to keep from scratching things up.

We will see how it all works out.:D

You can consider a Sea Wise davit system. It makes raising and lowering the dinghy very easy. One came with our boat and I have really enjoyed it.
Sea Wise Davit System | Innovative and stylish yacht and boat davits

So is it impractical to expect to use an 11' Whaler as a tender/dinghy with Weaver davits on say, a Mainship 390?

I have a set of heavy duty weaver davits for hard dingies (for sale) and they are limited to 200 pounds.

Not sure if heavier duty is available or not. The Whaler hooks are limited to 200 pounds.....not sure which whalers are that light but the 110 Tender come in over 400 pounds these days.

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/family-overview/super-sport-boat-models/110-tender/

Unless you also get the attachment that allows you to keep the motor on all the time, not sure you would like the set up.

In my eyes, weaver and similar davits have some great advantages, but they also have some disadvantages that made me to build my own davits.

Last edited:
Excellent point. Being still along way out, my reading thus far combined with an understanding of my own quirks (and those of my wife as she ascends to the rank of Admiral) tells me that I'm a Weaver davits guy. I see myself dropping the dinghy as part of the daily routine in anything but foul, stay aboard weather.

In that case, you'll want to pay attention to the weight of the dinghy, and probably the weight of the dinghy and outboard combined (swivel for the outboard)... plus safety leeway/reserve... but you'll also need to eventually be shopping for boats that can best carry your dinghy that way. IOW, the swim platform will need to have enough load-bearing capacity, etc. Note the Weaver system put much of the -- dead-- weight far aft on the swim platform. Sometimes you can beef up the swim platform...

Not a criticism, and likely not difficult to solve.... just a point to consider.

We had to go with a heavier carrying capability (for approx 265-lbs of non-console-dinghy/outboard/battery/stuff), combined with easy-on/easy-off loading.... so ended up with a reinforced Jatco Trillogy system on the swim platform.

-Chris

Last edited:
"So is it impractical to expect to use an 11' Whaler as a tender/dinghy with Weaver davits on say, a Mainship 390? __________________"

Reading all your posts so far about future needs, wanting to have easy access, limited capacity to carry on deck and the desire to explore many areas on this 'new' small boat I would suggest a larger RIB. As a guess is does not look like you will be cruising in anything near heavy seas and even that is many years out. You could 'tow' a larger ,self bailing RIB fairly easily if you reach a point many years out when that becomes the task at hand - access is then as simple as it gets. But it also appears that you will not only need a small boat and motor but also currently will need a trailer as well and that raises the largest challenge with your goals of a larger RIB which is the budget. Similarly that would be the case with any 11' Whaler that has a dependable outboard and trailer in the package as well.
In any case - very good luck with your search.

The nice thing about larger ribs if you tow them, if they flip over they are a bit less of an issue and are much easier to turn right side up.

Not that if one flips it doesn't cause any drag, just generally less in many cased than a hard dink.

The nice thing about larger ribs if you tow them, if they flip over they are a bit less of an issue and are much easier to turn right side up.

Not that if one flips it doesn't cause any drag, just generally less in many cased than a hard dink.

I wonder what it'd be like trying to flip ours back over, with motor and all...

Luckily hasn't happened...

Maybe even more of an issue with console? Battery, probably strapped to the sole? Fuel tank, maybe strapped in? Etc.

-Chris

WesK,
One could w the right rig I'm think'in. If the dinghy had a drouge of course it would be harder to tow. But it may not plunge ahead on the face of a wave. And would be much less likely to broach. But if the mothership was running fairly parallel to the seas .. and they were breaking. Hmmmm. But it depends on many variables.

What would be the chance of rigging up a radio control that could deploy a drouge or cause an OB to lower it's prop into the water (untilt)? Or start a bilge pump? A battery could be the ballast and w a small pump it could run a long time. With enough control devices and some ballast in the bilge a dink could possibly ride out some rough stuff.

Then there's the disposable boat concept. Buy an old 12' skiff for $100, throw some ballast in and see how it goes. I thought of that but I'd want an engine on it and up goes the cost.

So WesK you're probably at least 95% right.

.....so where does one go to find a 100$ skiff. Up here in Ohio, if a 2x4 floats it will bring more than that. After gutting a 37' sailboat, a skiff would be easy to restore....

I wonder what it'd be like trying to flip ours back over, with motor and all...

Luckily hasn't happened...

Maybe even more of an issue with console? Battery, probably strapped to the sole? Fuel tank, maybe strapped in? Etc.

-Chris
By hand a larger dingy may be a handful.

If necessary, you can parbuckle it by tying a line to the close side (boat axis perpendicular), run it under then back over the top to the mothership. Then tie off and pull gently....it should flip right over.

I am guessing I have flipped 30 or more boats this way with assistance towing and friends boats...some really hard, some really easy.

Hard dingies tend to form a pretty good suction to the surface and can be a mother to flip. I have seen 3 strong guys be unable to flip a 13 whaler and 14 skiff by hand. Even my 12 hard dingy had to be burped to a huge degree before she could be rolled over and had a much different configuration than the flat gunnel, square skiffs.

.....so where does one go to find a 100$ skiff. Up here in Ohio, if a 2x4 floats it will bring more than that. After gutting a 37' sailboat, a skiff would be easy to restore....

Jersey is full of them....so many for sale...... many with slight damage are being given away. Just get them off the property.

Seeing more and more turned into flower planters.

I just gave my old one to my son to give to a friend for helping him with his solar array.

It was a 12' MFG in decent shape...I did keep the Weaver Davits though.

Jersey is full of them....so many for sale...... many with slight damage are being given away. Just get them off the property.

Seeing more and more turned into flower planters.

I just gave my old one to my son to give to a friend for helping him with his solar array.

It was a 12' MFG in decent shape...I did keep the Weaver Davits though.

I'll watch Criagslist..... Any other places I should check out? It would be worth the trip.

Great stuff. Thank you. Adding motorized winches sounds smart regardless of the mounting style. Given the hazards, I do not see myself towing a tender.

tedted,
I should have just said cheap.
Look on CL Seattle and you'll see lots of stuff. There's usually about 2000 adds under boats. Then there's the boat parts ect. I surf CL frequently as entertainment. Just look'in at all the stuff.

Keep in mind $100 or $1000 is way different from one member to another here on TF. I don't often spend $50 in a resturant (per person) whereas some here probably tip that much often.

What I meant was a dinghy one could easily afford to loose.

"Given the hazards, I do not see myself towing a tender."

FWIW - I have lifted and I have towed and many times have dine both at the same time. IMHO lifting was potentially more hazardous. YMMV

Hazards like falling off the swim platform or pulling one's back out hoisting it out of the water? Or hazards like breaking mounting points in heavy seas? Guess that makes sense. All a matter of compromises, eh?

I am fortunate enough to have the capability to either put the dink on the swim platform with the SeaWise davits or to hoist it up to the boat deck with the crane. I never want to be hoisting a heavy dink in any kind of wind or waves. It is fine with calm weather however.

I have seen more than a few accidents with RIBS being lifted on boat decks and hydraulic platforms and many equipment failures doing the same tasks. With a bit of reluctance we started to tow RIBS over 15 years back and in all that time we really did not have any issues with the tows but did with lifting. All in all I felt it was easier and safer from our experience - here is a typical trip with a RIB in tow and one on the boat deck.

Back
Top Bottom