Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Long Time Dead
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 55
Child Safety

Hello- I'd love some ideas on how best to ensure the safety of young people on long range trawler voyages. Is there technology that makes sense? Common sense "house rules" that people have used? We will be traveling as a family for 15 months and I'd love to hear best practices from the TF gurus. Thanks
bigpoppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Outside of the house means life vest 100% of the time. No exceptions, ever. PLB on the vest and always tell you when they are going on deck.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:42 AM   #3
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I think Bob about covered it in one sentence. We have those same rules with one exception. Since we have a Portugese bridge, one can be "inside" substantial railings all around the boat. Our additional rule is that no one goes forward of the bridge, i.e. on to the front deck, without an adult present.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppop View Post
Hello- I'd love some ideas on how best to ensure the safety of young people on long range trawler voyages. Is there technology that makes sense? Common sense "house rules" that people have used? We will be traveling as a family for 15 months and I'd love to hear best practices from the TF gurus. Thanks
What ages?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:05 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Young children must be supervised and one eye on them every minute 24/7 when on any boat no if's or buts they are "children " Life jacks are some times dangerous as they give a false sense of security . By the time u turn around to pick up a CHILD from the water chances are you will be 3 minutes too late
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:32 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What ages?

I don't think age matters you can have a brilliant obedient 3 year old or a Ahole brat 11 yo
Old 06-01-2016, 01:40 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Young children must be supervised and one eye on them every minute 24/7 when on any boat no if's or buts they are "children " Life jacks are some times dangerous as they give a false sense of security . By the time u turn around to pick up a CHILD from the water chances are you will be 3 minutes too late
This is a great point. Children can't be trusted to be 100% reliable. One careless lapse on the child's part could ruin the life of the adults. So follow the advice of Bob, but make sure that someone has an eye on the kids at all time.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I don't think age matters you can have a brilliant obedient 3 year old or a Ahole brat 11 yo
Age matters, at least to us. And we're not going to invite any Ahole brats. lol

I was actually thinking a broader spectrum of ages from 1 to 18 and wondering. With older teens we'd feel much more comfortable than with toddlers. Much like day care centers, the younger they are the higher the ratio of adults to children must be. Also conditions and cruising plans impact us.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:57 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Age matters, at least to us. And we're not going to invite any Ahole brats. lol

I was actually thinking a broader spectrum of ages from 1 to 18 and wondering. With older teens we'd feel much more comfortable than with toddlers. Much like day care centers, the younger they are the higher the ratio of adults to children must be. Also conditions and cruising plans impact us.

I think a child is 12 or younger and its the 13 to 18 year old that frighten the crap out of me
Old 06-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #10
FF
Guru

The most common is a net arranged to all the stanchons or lifelines making it harder to go overboard.

Extra mount points will be needed for a large cockpit aft.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We have the following rules when under way.

Everyone is assigned a life vest and a buddy partner. Small children where assigned an adult as well.

No one was allowed on the pilot house and salon roof. If they did had to let me know and have a reason. They have to wear a life vest. I closed off blocked the stairs and ladder.

No one was allowed on the front deck without life vest and or their buddy. Children also had an adult.

Children had to be inside the boat, if out side on the stern deck and behind the Portuguese bridge a life vest and an adult.

The biggest safety is to provide something to entertain them inside, movie, games, puzzle so they would stay inside.

We usually started out early in the morning, between 6 and 7, so they slept and had breakfast the majority of the morning, and tried to keep the cruises short and hopefully before noon. Even adults get restless after 4 hours.

Keep in mind actual cruising is boring to most children and adults, so keep cruises short, while they sleep, and keep them intertained. Heck even I and my wife thing cruising is boring a high% of the time.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Hope you are planning some weekend getaways before heading out for 15 months. Might give you a preview of things you have to plan for to keep them safe.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Long Time Dead
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 55
Great feedback- thanks.

Our son is 9 years old.
bigpoppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Hope you are planning some weekend getaways before heading out for 15 months. Might give you a preview of things you have to plan for to keep them safe.

Ted
And hope you've done enough already to know they don't get seasick as that will ruin things in a hurry.